medicine cabinets

i'm thinking about changing my medicine cabinet. can i get an accurate measure w/out taking out the existing one? are they standard size?

Reply to
SeaKan

There are several standard sizes and a whole range of oddballs.

You will have to remove it to measure because you don't know if your present one is fitted tight against the studs or if there is a little more room. You can probably get a fairly accurate estimate of the rough opening by measuring the inside of the cabnet.

I have seen some nice wall cabnets with mirrored doors you could just put over the hole if you wanted an alternative look.

Reply to
PipeDown

You also want to make sure the depth is correct. Yes, there were houses once that used 2 x 3's and the medicine cabinet for those will stick out an inch for those meant for 2 x 4's. So, I too agree, you must remove the one you have and take accurate measurements.

SeaKan wrote:

Reply to
Joey

I just replaced 2 medicine cabinets in my house. I had to modify the rough openings slightly. You might get lucky and not have to do any changes at all, but like the other poster said, you could buy a surface mount one and cover the hole.

I used the Home Depot brand, Keystone medicine cabinets:

Mikepier