OT - credit card upgrade question

Not so much that it is european - it's just "not made here" If a Yank didn't invent it, they don't want it. Add to that, anything "mandated" or that could possibly collect any data on the user is immediately suspect.

Reply to
clare

| So now the merchant knows you have a tampered with card. Good luck | buying high-ticket items with it. |

High ticket items? Do you buy cars with credit cards? I don't. The card has a tiny hole. Most of the time the clerks don't even look at the card. If they do they're unlikely to see the hole. If they see it and ask I'll tell them. There's no reason for them to care, as long as the card swipes OK. In my last one I removed the chip. That was several years ago. I've yet to have any problems.

I would bet that if you try to tell 10 clerks that you've removed an RFID chip from your credit card, 9 will say, "Have a good day, sir." If it's not required to do their job they won't care. Curiosity is not a common thing. :)

Reply to
Mayayana

There you go again -- introducing technology into the conversation. Everybody know a passive rfid chip can be scanned from 50' away through a concrete block wall.

Reply to
rbowman

What risk? The cardholder has no risk. All risk is borne by the issuer or in some cases, the merchant of they do not have proper security.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What is your plan for the future? At some point merchants may not have equipment to swipe?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A combination of challenge response with encription is pretty darn safe. Combine something to know with something to show.(Chip-PIN).

I'm sure not worried about thesecurity of the chip card. It is at least an order of magnatude safer than a mag-stripe card with signature"verification". Easy to "fudge" a signature - particularly when the signature on the card virtually never stays readable, and virtually no merchant checks the signature - particularly with "self serve" checkouts.

With Chip-PIN either you know the PIN or you don't.. No "fudging" Cover the pin pad with your other hand and rest your fingers on the keys you are not pressing to defeat anyone using an IR camera to determine which keys have been pressed if you are paranoid.

Just don't be "blonde" and write the PIN on the card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
clare

There are only two other countries besides the US that don't use the metric system. We are also behind in high-speed broadband. In S. Korea

500Mib/s is common. I pay $56 (with tax included) for 75Mib/s (and I have yet to see it, speed tests usually come in about 50Mib/s). I don't see credit card chip & pin as being "behind" though. I've never had a problem disputing a charge. I don't want to remember a bunch of PINs. I have enough to remember! Besides, sometimes I lend my bank card to someone - I tell them to choose 'credit' rather than 'debit' so I don't have to give away the PIN.
Reply to
G. Morgan

That's kinda true. I don't want a microprocessor or anything security related coming from China or Russia, for instance. Sure, they manufacture most of the laptops - but they don't make the chips like CPU's or TPM's. The manufacturing process is also watched closely by American companies that brand them.

Oops.. I do run Kaspersky AV though!

Reply to
G. Morgan

I was thinking about a $1500 TV, not so much a car!

Reply to
G. Morgan

Really it was French invention, by Bull. No matter what we do, crooks are always one step ahead, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Your K. AV may have an embedded data collecting virus like what they did on hard drives....You know who is they...

Reply to
Tony Hwang

What's the worry, pretty soon as soon as baby is born s/he will have a smart chip implanted in his/her forehead maybe. Needs nothing to carry as an id. or banking or grocery shopping, lol!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

At our store we do some mail order processing. Then we print out hard copies entering CC no. but instead of sign. we mark it mail order and customer's phone no.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I know, but trust has to be placed somewhere - even if its not complete trust. Kaspersky has caught nasties before they could do any damage since I tend to click on some sites for research purposes that by their very nature have malware (not pr0n BTW).

I'm usually careful enough to use a VM, but sometimes I forget or don't realize the potential for harm on a site before I visit or download something.

If the En-essay wants something off my computer, they will get it. If not by technical means, then by intimidation by men in suits with a warrant.

BTW... the 2nd phase technical audit for Truecrypt came out last week. Its safe cryptologically.

Reply to
G. Morgan

My mere defense is UTM in front of my home network. First thing every morning I do is checking any sign of funnies or suspicion over night. From my working day experience, anything everything can be broken if enough time is taken.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

J0HNS0N

Since it's a pain to sign on those little electric boxes they have at the checkout counters these days, I just sign a squiggly line. Nobody's complained (yet), Then I started doing it on paper receipts. Still no complaints (yet).

Try it, it's sure a lot faster and easier.

Reply to
J0HNS0N

| What is your plan for the future? At some point | merchants may not have | equipment to swipe?

Maybe not. My current plan is for now.

I don't see why you feel so strongly in your defense of the changes. You've posted a flurry of adamant posts saying that people should accept the changes and not worry. I'm just saying that I'm dubious, I want to be careful, and I want to understand exactly what I'm dealing with. And based on what I know now I'm trying to protect my privacy/security. Doesn't that make sense?

I find your approach is usually a symptom of ostrich thinking: People who don't want to deal with things get annoyed by people who do. Mention computer security/privacy and the ostriches immediately start making tinfoil hat jokes, because they don't want to be reminded of what they're trying hard to ignore. I've never subscribed to that strategy. If you put your head in the sand you're likely to get burned in the ass, or worse. :) Willful ignorance seems like the relaxing option, but in the end it's actually far more demanding and tiring work than simply relating to things in the first place.

It's the pebble-in-the-shoe syndrome. We avoid a pebble in our shoe because it seems like a hassle to stop and take it out. Eventually we've got a sore foot and a pain in our hip joint. Finally we tear off our shoe, furiously mad at that pebble -- "I politely ignored you. How dare you keep pestering me?!"

Reply to
Mayayana

| > High ticket items? Do you buy cars with credit | >cards? I don't. | | I was thinking about a $1500 TV, not so much a car! |

You have rich tastes. If I had to pay $1,500 for a TV I'd settle for reading. :)

If it weren't for Netflix I'm not sure I'd even bother. PBS has gradually degenerated into the British Soap Opera Channel. (With occasional breaks for Neil deGrasse Tyson to pass off carnival barking and special effects as science.) The networks seem to all be playing either a slick version of Community Auditions or one of the numerous sicko police shows like "Let's Hunt a Psycho Murderer" or "Let's Figure Out Exactly How The Psycho Murderer Tortured His Victims" or "Catching a Psycho Murderer by Studying Worms in Corpses". (What is it with this perverse, gruesome obsession?) When I'm so tired that I'll watch almost anything, I find myself switching back and forth between old Cary Grant or John Wayne movies and ads for transvaginal mesh lawsuits. .... I seem to remember there used to actually be thoughtful shows on TV, but I can't seem to find them anymore.

But all that aside, I sometimes do spend upward of $1,000 at HD or lumber yards. I regularly spend several hundred dollars at a time. I can't remember the last time that I even had to show my card. I just swipe, scribble gibberish on the plastic screen, and I'm on my way.

My impression is that both the merchants and the credit card companies are generally happy with the status quo. The credit card companies are making a bundle through

2% cuts and loansharking scams. They're apparently also losing a lot through theft, but I'm guessing that's pocket change for them. If it weren't they would have done something about it.
Reply to
Mayayana

Knowing what you are dealing with makes perfect sense. That is why I think it is silly to destroy a security measure that will do you no harm. Like you, I did a little research and I now know the difference between an RFID and EMV chip.I also know I have no liability so I'm not worried.

That is where you are wrong here. Your premise may have value, but I did bother and educated myself and I'm confident it is better than the old swipe card.

Yes, that is why I did some research. Eliminates the ignorance.

So we should adjust our tinfoil hats and move along.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski