OT - credit card upgrade question

Page 5 of 7
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's kinda true. I don't want a microprocessor or anything security related coming from China or Russia, for instance. Sure, they manufacture most of the laptops - but they don't make the chips like CPU's or TPM's. The manufacturing process is also watched closely by American companies that brand them.
Oops.. I do run Kaspersky AV though!
G. Morgan wrote:

on hard drives....You know who is they...
Tony Hwang wrote:

I know, but trust has to be placed somewhere - even if its not complete trust. Kaspersky has caught nasties before they could do any damage since I tend to click on some sites for research purposes that by their very nature have malware (not pr0n BTW).
I'm usually careful enough to use a VM, but sometimes I forget or don't realize the potential for harm on a site before I visit or download something.
If the En-essay wants something off my computer, they will get it. If not by technical means, then by intimidation by men in suits with a warrant.
BTW... the 2nd phase technical audit for Truecrypt came out last week. Its safe cryptologically.
G. Morgan wrote:

morning I do is checking any sign of funnies or suspicion over night. From my working day experience, anything everything can be broken if enough time is taken.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/19/technology/security/lenovo-superfish/
J0HNS0N wrote:

I know without even reading the article. I have a Levono that was affected until I flattened and rebuilt.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

are always one step ahead, LOL!
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That isn't true. Europe went to EMV first because their phone system for online authorizations was either non-existant or charged very expersive per call rates. EMV cards have one option where transactions can be authorized by the card and then uploaded to the bank at a later time.
The US didn't havethat problem and the number of credit terminals in the US is several orders of magnatude greater than in the EU, so upgrading them for a problem that didn't exist in the US made no financial sense.
The phone system isn't a problem in the EU now, but the EMV chip card does work for certain newer threats, so the US is moving to implement it. Where US merchants and banks have an big problem is paying huge sums of money to upgrade their credit terminals, and then be told in a couple of years - "Oh, never mind. We've decided to use scanners that can read smart phones."
Tony Hwang wrote:

There are only two other countries besides the US that don't use the metric system. We are also behind in high-speed broadband. In S. Korea 500Mib/s is common. I pay $56 (with tax included) for 75Mib/s (and I have yet to see it, speed tests usually come in about 50Mib/s). I don't see credit card chip & pin as being "behind" though. I've never had a problem disputing a charge. I don't want to remember a bunch of PINs. I have enough to remember! Besides, sometimes I lend my bank card to someone - I tell them to choose 'credit' rather than 'debit' so I don't have to give away the PIN.
| The chip cards in Canada are all chip-pin. | If the US banks do any different they are more foolish than I even | thought. They HAVE to be chip and pin to work with the Interac banking | system. (world wide interbank system)
From what I've read, US cards will be chip and signature or chip and no signature for small purchases. (We're Americans. We shouldn't have to remember numbers or interrupt our phone conversation to type on a dirty keypad. :)
Signature is useless for security. My own signature written with a plastic pen on a touch- sensitive pad looks like a 2-year-old's drawing. I can't believe there's any check on that. It's probably only used so that I can't easily say I never made the purchase.
Chip and PIN sounds like it might OK. On the other hand, why not stripe and PIN, to avoid contactless reading? It seems to me that the rush to achieve some fantasy of "space age" convenience and techno-pizzazz is resulting in a lot of dubious designs and decisions. Chips naturally bring in all the issues of non-secure communication, as is true of wi-fi computing: It's convenient, it's not generally *too* risky, but it simply can't be made as secure as direct wired computing.
Mayayana wrote:

I have a couple I never even signed. I've never been questioned about it!
G. Morgan wrote:

At our store we do some mail order processing. Then we print out hard copies entering CC no. but instead of sign. we mark it mail order and customer's phone no.

responsible for any losses.
Mayayana wrote:

s/he will have a smart chip implanted in his/her forehead maybe. Needs nothing to carry as an id. or banking or grocery shopping, lol!
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Visa cards issued in the US that are mag-stripe only work outside of US.

Not according to Visa, at least not yet. For instance readers on gas pumps have until 2017 to make the change. Mag-stripe will obviously have to work at least until then.
but what they conceal is vital."
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Let me try again, with proper punctuation.
Visa cards issued in the US that are mag-stripe only, work outside of US.
A comma makes all the difference!

In larger stores and ATMs that are frequented by tourists, yes. In smaller stores, restrauants, kiosks and unattended gas pumps, no.
On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 06:44:29 -0600, Arthur Conan Doyle

True. And your Shell gas card does not work at Shell stations in Italy, maybe the rest of Europe. Most times, you get better deal paying cash anyway. Tax evasion is the most popular sport in Italy.
On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 21:47:12 -0400, "Mayayana"

Bank being one) are not implementing the PIN security on their cards and banking system. If you ask your bank to have the PIN enabled, your american bank cards will work world-wide in chip and pin terminals, and will still work, without the PIN, in USA