OT(ish) - signing back of credit card

Just had a replacement credit card delivered (old one going out of date). I tried several biros but couldn't sign the back - the ink didn't take. I finally signed it with a CD marker pen; we'll see how long that lasts.

Anyone else encountered this?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I've not had lack of adhesion but I have produced some very scratchy looking signatures that I am not proud of!

Why can't the bank print the signature on the back anyway before posting the card? This would be better for security and less easy to tamper with.

Reply to
Scott

Yes. I did the same as you.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Reply to
Andy Bennet

No - assuming that the recipient cannot reproduce my signature. It's what the DVLA do with driving licences.

Reply to
Scott

Answers on a postcard please :-)

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

With chip+pin, who checks signatures anyway?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I can't recall the last time I needed a signature when using a card. Ts&Cs say Not Valid Unless Signed which might be a get out clause for stolen cards.

However if I stole an unsigned card then signed it myself who would know?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

It doesn't usually take them long to spot its being used in a different way. Then they stop it or phone the person its issued to and ask what they have been buying.

Reply to
dennis

No. Never had a problem. If the biro writes at all, it writes on the back of the card.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well you would know. And over the years, the guilt would eat away at your psyche, until you ended up looking like Gollum.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I find it impossible to sign with a marker pen

you just get a thick black blob

tim

Reply to
tim...

No. New card two weeks ago.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

My CD marker pens were like fine point Sharpies (which are what I use nowadays for cards).

Reply to
Robin

I signed one with a nylon tipped pen once. Went and cashed a cheque (yes it was that long ago) which they did. A few days later a new card arrived with a letter asking me to cut up the old card and sign the new one with a biro.

Reply to
dennis

Can't remember the last card I actually signed...

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I have no end of problems because I cannot see there is no tactile way to know where to sign. Most rub off in a few weeks I'm told most shops seem to merely rely on pins and the back security number if you are doing it over the phone.

Unless of course, like me you have a chip and signature one in which case its hit and miss who actually knows they are legal or insist on you having a passport or driving licence, which would be a unique trick for a blind person. I had awful trouble with the apple store over this last one. Indeed I'm having to get a passport merely to be able to buy anything where their finance is handled by Berkleys, berk is well named. I told me maybe we blindies should all be microchippe as we are clearly second class citizens. Brian

Yes I know Barclays is an A byt it made me feel better.

Reply to
Brian Gaff

David wrote on 22/04/2019 :

I never sign them, pointless to do so.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That was the point of my suggestion that the issuing bank should pre-print the signature.

Reply to
Scott

Foreign countries with limited infrastructure? Power cut and shop using the old paper vouchers?

Reply to
Scott