OT - Craigslist Vent - What Happened To Being Polite?

Page 3 of 3
On 10/2/2016 11:11 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

First come first served is not being not nice. But, your choice of course.
On Sunday, October 2, 2016 at 2:44:07 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:

I hear what you are saying, but one could certainly consider the "let me ask my wife" as the "first comer". Regardless, the point is that the "second comer" who was all sorts of interested and wanted to stay updated, stopped responding less than 12 hours after our last contact - even after I told him that it was his. In hindsight, if he changed his mind in less than 12 hours, I have no illusions that he would have bought it anyway.
No big deal, I think I have a taker anyway. SWMBO has a coworker who has 2 young girls and not a lot of money. I built these bunk beds for my little girls, so I'd just as soon give them to someone who really needs them.
On 10/2/2016 4:06 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'd rather give something away to a young family in need than deal with the low-life scum on Craigslist.
On Sunday, October 2, 2016 at 4:46:25 PM UTC-4, Your Name wrote:

Hey, I'm one of those "low-life scum"! No, wait, I mean...umm...errr, oh never mind.
On 10/2/2016 3:46 PM, Your Name wrote:

Scum is scum. We have a "Freecycle" for our area where we offer up, for free, all kinds of stuff we no longer need to keep it from the dump. "One man's trash is another man's treasure" rings true here.
At any rate I posted an item in good condition, could have sold it on Craigslist or Ebay if I wanted to mess with it.
Woman responded right away and wanted the item. No problem but she lived about 20 miles west of us and wanted to pick it up in a couple days. Would I hold it for her and she will be by on Wednesday at 4:30PM. I came home early to accommodate her and surprise. . . No show! Sent her an email to remind her and ask if she wanted to reschedule after calling her and the call going to voice mail. No response so I removed the "Promised - Pickup Pending" on Friday. Somebody else responded on Sunday and picked it that same day.
Tuesday the original responder called to tell me she still wanted it and would I be available THIS Wednesday. I explained that when she failed to return my call or email after standing me up the preceding week, I gave it to somebody else.
Whoa! You'd have thought I'd snuck in her house and stole all her property. "How dare you! You promised it to me, you a**hole!"
I responded by saying "I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you were a rude, obnoxious bitch when I made that promise. You didn't show so eat sh*t and die!"
Most folks are genuinely appreciative on Freecycle but this was one for the books.
P.S. I thought Mayayana was fooling around with his/her post but apparently he/she is really that big an a**. Perhaps related to my Freecycler <g>

I was on the freecycle list for a while. Some woman was looking for a GameBoy for her kid but my offering wasn't good enough. It had to be the new, color version. Beggars can be choosers.
On 10/2/2016 9:56 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Same story, different media. We had a huge garage sale this past weekend, and posted ads for it, including photos of several in-demand items on a local Facebook page and also on Craigslist. Got all kinds of contacts requesting we hold stuff for them. Nope - first come, first served. The really hot items sold before we officially opened - people showed up a half-hour early to make sure they would get it. That didn't stop people from continuing to text us with requests, and following up with whines when we told them, sorry, too late.
So, later in the day on Saturday we agreed to hold two kids' bikes until the next day, when the person would show up with the cash. Yep, never showed.
Another lady asked us to hold a dining set and we refused. She had big hair, tight jeans, cigarettes, and was drunk off her butt. She showed up the next day, having *hitchhiked* back to our garage sale. Looked like she was tweaking. She pulled a bunch of singles out of her pocket and shook out a ton of coins from a prescription bottle while babbling on about how awful people are and how the world sucks. She was three dollars short. We let her have it anyway, just to get her outta there. She drags it all to the curb and waits for her ride to circle the block again. We overheard her ask him to take her and her new furniture to the Greyhound bus station in a nearby city. <eyeroll>
I told my neighbor it was like a country song come to life.
On Sunday, October 2, 2016 at 10:56:57 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
When I list something on Craigslist, it goes to whoever shows up with the money first. I don't wait while people I don't know on CL think about it. Somebody calls and expressed interest in it, then an hour later somebody else calls and wants to buy it, I sell it, having no obligation to the other person.
It could be worse. I just got screwed on Ebay selling a $350 clothing item, with $16 for shipping. It was like new, worn 3 times. I had perfect pics of it and described it as used, but in perfect condition, only worn a few times. So a buyer in San Francisco contacts me, wants to know if I will sell it for less or consider a "discounted sale on Paypal". That latter is a clear violation of Ebay policy, ie trying to take a sale off Ebay to avoid the fees. So, I offered to sell it for $25 less, but on Ebay and with no return. They accepted. Being smart, I made sure to change the Ebay listing to no returns accepted before accepting their offer.
So, I ship it, which cost me $21. They get it, and immediately demand a refund, complaining it was not as shown in the pics and not as described. They claimed it was covered in cat hair and smells like mold/mildew, is so toxic they can't keep it in their apartment. Now, I know this is bogus, but the way Ebay works, they show you a screen that says a buyer is asking for a refund. I looked over the page, which had no choices as to what to do, then clicked next at the bottom, assuming this would take me to a page where I could grant a refund or dispute it, reply, etc. Instead it said, "You've agreed to a return". Nice. So, I guess I could call Ebay and complain, try to get it undone, etc, but at that point, I figured might as well just take it back and be done with it. I had to pay another $13 for return shipping.
So, I get it back, and I took pics of the box before I opened it, and right after. The item is exactly like it was shipped, perfect, not a cat hair on it, smells just like leather, etc. So, I'm out $35 and also have an Ebay strike against me for shipping something that wasn't as described. After processing the return, I was presented with a chance to complain to Ebay about the buyer abusing the Ebay system, which I did. It won't help me, but hopefully it goes in their file and if they pull this again, with some other seller, it could help them with their dispute. If anything, Ebay might be more interested in suspending them for trying to take a sale off Ebay. If I have to do a return again, I'll be real careful with that return screen in the future. If I had not accepted the return without realizing it, I would have asked the buyer to send me pics of the item. After the buyer suggested doing the sale off Ebay, I was suspicious, so I took pics of the item again, just before it went in the shipping box, a pic of the box, etc. Had I been able to dispute it, maybe I would have won, but no way of knowing. A skunk like this could get some cat hair and crap and soil it up, which would be even worse.
Ebay has become a real mess for sellers. As a seller you can't leave negative feedback for a buyer, no matter what they do. I've seen a lot of sellers complaining about ebay policies, high fees, booting them for minor issues, etc.
On Sunday, October 2, 2016 at 9:56:57 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

o?"

l."

t is,

ack

AM

he

be

if

by

ng

rd

lly

Same here. I run help wanted ads on CL for my commercial cleaning business. For my current ad I have 9 email responses (not counting those so far away they would spend more for gas than they would earn). Of the 9, two actuall y picked up when I called; one of the two said he would call back but didn' t. I left messages with the other 7 but got no callback. At least two had r esponded to previous ads but did not return my calls. I think people like t o apply for jobs but don't really want to work.
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 02 Oct 2016 11:34:20 -0700, Oren

That is obnoxious because it will be a lot harder to get rid the smaller amount.