OT: AT&T U-verse opinions

Page 2 of 3

<stuff snipped>

It's like insurance companies. It almost never hurts their bottom line to deny liability the first time around. You would be amazed at how many people stop right there. And the insurers know it. So they try it as often as they can.
-- Bobby G.
"Mr. Austerity" <"PrintMo.Money "> wrote in message

<stuff snipped>

http://www.myfloridalegal.com/newsrel.nsf/newsreleases/46824E6FF7CE2D21852577C800522497
Good for you. Rebate fraud became a fine art because rebaters were unsupervised/unaudited processors. That led to some of them actively engaging in denying real claims and then using the UPC codes they claimed were never sent in to give to their friends to file fake claims. When you process thousands of $10 rebates in one day, a little fraud goes a long way. Just one of the joys of outsourcing - the rebate companies could not have cared less if they were tarnishing the retailer's reputations. The deals were set up with no oversight and IIRC, rebaters were allowed to keep some of the money set aside for rebates that was never paid out. That's like begging to have a fraud committed.
Once I read about two rebate companies doing that, I realized that it was just an exercise in frustration - they could and did refuse to honor rebates for the most bogus of reasons because they had a strong monetary incentive to do so -- until they got caught.
-- Bobby G.
On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 01:54:17 -0500, "Robert Green"

Though I never buy anything because of a rebate, I'll send them in. I don't remember ever missing one. I just got $50 back from VZW. Maybe I'm better at following instructions. ;-)
On 2/11/2012 10:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The most annoying are those "air stuffed" mailers where basically the mailman delivers a loose pile of assorted garbage mail to each home with many of the mixed pieces carefully crafted to look like checks or normal mail.

snipped-for-privacy@fdcx.net writes:

FIOS here too.
Compared to Comcast anything would look good.
Actually FIOS is great. I have triple play and like everything. Even the installers and support people.
One thing to be aware of, each TV requires a set top box. Those charges add up quickly if you like TVs in multiple rooms.
--
Dan Espen

snipped-for-privacy@fdcx.net wrote:

My last experience with ATT was pretty bad. I get by with a prepaid phone at 15.00/month for 200 roll over minutes, a cable modem for the internet and over the air TV. Runs me about 60 bucks a month total. It really depends on what you want, what you need and how you will actually use it all when you get it. It's easier to get a full back tattoo removed than get lose from some of the contracts the companies have now days.
On 2/11/2012 11:57 AM, Mr. Austerity wrote:

I too hate ATT with a passion and that also is true for Verizon.
I contend that they have the old telephone company mentality from when they were the only game in town and damn the customer. Wife won't give up the land lines and we had three problems in the last three months. One static issue took over a week to fix. I had two neighbors that lost FIOS service for nearly a week. Would never be this long with Comcast.
I do hear from neighbors that FIOS has better signal. Both Verizon and Comcast will give you a one - two year deal on their triple play for about $100. Then price goes up and you have to renegotiate.
To me, inherently there is more expense in installing FIOS and its equipment so to profit they may have to charge more in the long run.

I have ATT for wireless service (iPhones for my wife and me). As far as I am concerned, the service is great. Better than our prior Sprint, and I love my iPhone 4S. Combined total cost is $120/mo.
All telecom companies have the old mentality - catch a customer and overwhelm him/her with fees and taxes, and keep them with a contract. For me, it's a question of weighing the pros and cons. ATT technology (GSM) has advantages over CDMA, such as simultaneous web access and telephone conversation, ability to use the same phone in Europe (albeit with great care due to the roaming costs). Perhaps Verizon has better coverage, but here in the greater NY City area, Sprint was definitely worse than ATT.
FiOS TV and internet are better than what I had before I got Vz DSL. Cablevision was the worst, certainly wasn't optimum.
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/11/2012 2:22 PM, Han wrote:

There is no inherent limitation of CDMA to prevent simultaneous voice and data. That has been part of the spec for at least 10 years. All that is required is a suitable chipset in the handset. My almost two year old handset is CDMA and does simultaneous voice and data.
As far as roaming it is an incredible cash cow for the carriers. They get a bill from the foreign carrier for say $80 and hit you for $500.

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 10:57:39 -0600, "Mr. Austerity" <"PrintMo.Money "> wrote Re Re: OT: AT&T U-verse opinions:

That sound like something I could use. May I ask who you get the cell phone from?

On 2/12/2012 9:07 AM, Caesar Romano wrote:

I have a Tracfone which costs me $99/year to get about 600 renewable minutes, i.e unused minutes roll over.
My phone was nearly 10 years old and getting long in the tooth and new one only $14.
If you don't talk a lot on the phone and are mainly interested in using it occasionally I don't think there is a better bargain. Plus it piggybacks the big services and if any available in any area you will get a signal.
May be more difficult to activate as you have to do it over the phone or on line. Initial purchase give you phone with a few minutes to do it but probably better on line. Renewing on line is a piece of cake needing only phone number and credit card.
On 2/12/2012 9:25 AM, Frank wrote:

I've had a Tracfone for many years and my unused minutes will expire in 2022. ^_^
TDD

if you talk a lot net 10 and verizon wireless both offer a 50 buck a month unlimited phone itext picture message and crippled internet to check e mail etc.
cricket offers the same for 35 bucks a month.
republic wireless is beginning to roll out a unlimited plan for 19 bucks a month that uses wi fi when available to cut cell time.
if all this keeps up they will be paying consumers to talk on the phone

At the rate I'm going, mine too.
Also, at the rate I'm going, I'll probably expire first.
I don't know of a better deal for someone that wants a phone just to be mobile.

As long as I can get to a VA Canteen once in a while I can nurse my TF with 1000's of minutes along for about $30/year.
I'm kinda stunned when people say they pay $150/month for TV/phone/net. That's already a significant chunk of change, and as a reoccurring expense...no way I could justify that for entertainment. Anyone paying amounts like that should start mooing right now 'cause just a cash cow.
Next month marks 1 year with Uverse DSL. In that time there has been exactly one bill for the correct amount and that was only because a CSR manually applied credits so the total would come out to what it was supposed to be.
On 2/12/12 8:07 AM, Caesar Romano wrote:

This might be of use: http://tinyurl.com/av2t2 The link is to the prepaid comparison chart of Cellguru. Another: http://www.prepaidreviews.com / This one http://www.phonescoop.com/ talks about phones.
Caesar Romano wrote:

I have net10 but trackphone is from the same company and more or less the same thing although they are not interchangeable and walmart's straight talk is from the same company.. In my zip code area they usually piggyback on ATT network. I see walgreens has a trackphone for 20 bucks with 200 minutes. You can try it and see if it works for you. It's not a smart phone by any means but I like the small size, it works. Inflation is measured in many ways but the cost of making a long distance phone call is one thing that is a hell of a lot cheaper than it was 20 years ago. http://walgreens.shoplocal.com/walgreens/default.aspx?action=entryflash & and you might want to check out Skype or google talk.
On 2/11/2012 10:08 AM, snipped-for-privacy@fdcx.net wrote:

I hear ya about the $250 a month.
U-verse looks like TV via Internet from what I read on their web site, not exactly hi-def in my experience. Apparently hi-def via Internet isn't too common yet - see:
http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id 375
Verizon land line phone and DSL service is good (actually excellent) here but alas no fios yet in my neighborhood. By the way, WIFI modems are available, Verizon sold us one for $90 and it is strong enough to work anywhere on our property, just over an acre. By buying it outright there is no added monthly fee and they do stand behind the product as the first one went belly up and they replaced it free.
Han's all inclusive fios service for $150 a month is a pretty good deal considering the included DVR and Internet speeds. 25-Mbps should be able to deliver hi-def. Although if you add in cell phone service he is probably still in our price range.
Unfortunately for me the wife can't live without a TV in nearly every room, we have 6 TVs, 3 basic & 3 free digital boxes but no hi-def or DVR, although the 3 digital cable TVs are real close to hi-def. Nor can she live without a land line and included 24-7 long distance. Add in our pair of Iphones and we are also in the $250+ range.
Speaking of Iphones:
When the Iphone sign up is over I am going to get myself a cheapo talk only phone. Actually I like text *but only if* it has a fold out keyboard that I can avoid hitting 4 keys at once. I will say that text messages from me on the thing are just 'best guess', I can see why the kiddies made up their own language for the things.
On the other hand Internet over a gadget as small and twitchy as an Iphone is just plain stupid! Its just not made for normal human fingers ... munchkins only need apply! Typing on the baby keyboard is bad enough but gesturing a web page to human readable size is an exercise in futility what with hot spots and buttons scattered all about the screen ... LOL ... what a POS! Everything I touch its either 'Copy this!' or 'Now where did that frickin page go?' Google likes to suggest things when you use bad spelling or composition, but for me it has no clue?
John

Get her a nice flat screen and HD service and you'll see that your TV is not up to near hi-def. I had a hi-def with a CRT TV and was shocked at what I was missing and thought I had.

I hold the phone sideways and you get a bigger keyboard. Much as I like having my Android, it will never replace a real computer with big screen, real mouse, real keyboard.
snipped-for-privacy@fdcx.net wrote:

I have had U-Verse for slightly over three years. I pay about $150 a month for phone, Internet, and U-200 with a DVR and two boxes each month. That includes taxes. HD is $10 more each month.
I like the ability to program the DVR via the Internet, so that is what I normally do early each morning. Overall I have had very few problems with my installation. When something needed attention, they were here quickly and fixed it right. That is more than I could say for Comcast, who I had before U-Verse.
I do know of some neighbors who were not happy with the service, but often it was their own fault. One neighbor was complaining to me about the TV remotes not working, and I discovered they had taken the remote for the bedroom and left it in the front room and vice versa. Another had a cheap phone that caused problems with their telephone. Of course the homeowners could not bring themselves to admit the problem was not AT&T, but themselves.
Finally the house wiring needs to be in very good condition for U-Verse. If the home is old and you have corroded connections, you will encounter problems with U-Verse.
Overall, I am happy. Like everything, I wish it were cheaper. But that can be said for anything you buy. If you have any more questions, post them. I will try to answer them.