DVR probs

I have a new DVR from Direct TV,,2 months old..In that time I lost signal for 3 days once and now this morning it would'nt turn on with remote or at the unit but it felt warm on top..Finally I pulled the power cord from the back and replaced it 30sec later..It went through

10-15 min downloading and seems to be working now..Looks like I'll have to redo My favorites lists.. Is this a prob with My unit or with Direct TVs signals from the company? Anybody had similar probs? If They are trying to pawn-off a defective unit on Me I'm gonna rip Them a new one!! I was patient for the 3 days and just lived without it but I think I used-up My patience limit for Them then..Just want to check with Others before I go off on DTV..*grin*..There might be a reasonable explanation...TY.. Dean
Reply to
Dean

I've never seen a consumer product yet where it's failure to power on had anything to do with the signal. If it's only 2 months old, it surely is under warranty, so why don't you call up customer service. Usually they just quickly exchange these.

Reply to
trader4

some models are having troubles go here for more info, being a dish customer i am not up to date on direct

hallerb

I too have Direct TV, but not DVR. But with the basic sat box......my box, after about a year or so, started to do the same......had to power the box off, then back on a few minutes later. I have came to the conclusion that the box overheats, and when it does..........loses its know how.....and a new download is nessesary.

I now shut off the sat box also when I turn the TV off. Before I was just shutting the TV off, and leaving the sat box on 24/7. No wonder it overheated :-) Might you be leaving the box on 24/7 also?

Reply to
avid_hiker

really they are still on 24/7 with the exception of the modulator that outputs a picture.

good point about overheating boxes MUST be in free air not stacked up in a entertainment center

Reply to
hallerb

Not normally,,I use the "off" button that shuts off the tv and sat box..Never had this prob with the old box..

Reply to
Dean

It sits on an unplugged dual cassette deck and nothing on top of it..I think calling customer service is the right idea..If the stupid thing overheats now I suppose it will come Summer too! The only vent holes are on the bottom and not many there! I still have My old reciever without DVR,,I have'nt used the DVR function much,,maybe I'll just see about activating the old one and let DTV come get Their new junk and re-imburse Me the $100 as credit for the next 2 months..Thanks All

Reply to
Dean

You said you lost signal for 3 days. Did you lost signal on all your other boxes or just the DVR? If you lost signal on all it's common to have to remove the AC plug for 30 seconds and then reboot. If the other boxes worked, you have a defective DVR.

Reply to
jerryl

Most everyone I know with a cable box of some sort has had a problem and it was corrected by pulling the plug for a few minutes. Very common with various models and brands, it seems.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

do record some shows and use the DVR! It chaNGES HOW YOU WATCH tv forever.

PAUSE, REWIND AND RECORD SHOWS ON THE FLY. START WACHING A SHOW WHILE ITS STILL RECORDING!

ZIP THRU COMMERCIALS!

Reply to
hallerb

The DVR is the reciever too so it's the only box hooked-up,,it does it all,,,,,,then overheats,,heh heh....It's working fine now and when I unplugged it I did'nt lose My favorites programming like I thought,,just had to go to menu and re-select it there then use the guide button,,oops.. When I ordered it the Joker on the line said I could hook it to a DVD recorder and burn to disc,,Anyone tried that?

Reply to
Dean

I bet pullin the plug and "rebooting" would have fixed the no signal thing too then,,the dishes were fine,,never touched before,during or after..I have no intention of rebooting this thing once a month,,that's an inherant problem I do'nt want or deserve,,one more time within the next 10 months and that's it,,it'll go back for refund or replacement..When Ya buy something new it should perform like new,,,not mess with Ya in the morning before Yer coffee!!LOL.. Speaking of coffee,,,tried that Folgers Cinnamon Swirl yet? Do'nt bother,,it tastes like they dipped into a slurry pit for the flavoring.. Thanks again group,,damn good bunch here,,top o the line..

Reply to
Dean

It should work, unless there's "protection" on the video.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

would have fixed the no signal

You might want to at least check for any updates once in a while. I believe pulling the plug and rebooting, actually then updates the system with the latest update. Again, I dont have a DVR, but check your messages, if any, to see if there is an update available once in awhile. Take care,

Dean

Reply to
avid_hiker

"rebooting" would have fixed the no signal

I just looked at caller id/messages,,there were caller id #s logged but no messages,,the caller id #s were older than the reboot,,dunno if messages from DTV would erase automatically upon reboot or not..Good idea checking messages tho,,I rarely do.. Dean

Reply to
Dean