OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

Wrong.
Not even the right town.

Nope.
Huh? What town are you talking about?
This software is exactly what is needed: http://www.avalara.com/prostores/documents/Avalara_Facts_ProStores.pdf
"AvaTax performs several steps that involve both the software and service aspect of the solution. After AvaTax is integrated into a company’s accounting or ERP systems, it uses a Web service to automatically validate a customer’s address against a database of U.S. addresses that are certified by the Coding Accuracy Support System (CASS)." http://www.avalara.com/getdoc/11e1f962-94ff-475d-941a-65bc75538b3b/Avalara_MSFT_CaseStudy
What is CASS, you ask?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coding_Accuracy_Support_System
Coding Accuracy Support System (CASS) enables the United States Postal Service (USPS) to evaluate the accuracy of software that corrects and matches street addresses. CASS certification is offered to all mailers, service bureaus, and software vendors that would like the USPS to evaluate the quality of their address-matching software and improve the accuracy of their ZIP+4, carrier route, and five-digit coding.
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,

Not good enough.

Not always. For instance in some areas the mass transport system is a separate governmental entity that actually crosses municipal borders. Also, how do you decide which of the multiple districts a person resides under these circumstances? You can't rely on addresses since on the ongoing hoohas in this county is that Carmel people have Indy addresses and Fishers people may have a Noblesville address. It isn't as cut and dried as municipal boundaries.
On 11/23/2011 2:16 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

lots of computing power and gets more all of the time.
As an example many of our towns were split up as to legislative districts after numerous redistricting. My tiny little town actually has three different representatives.
Even our moderately competent state government's web site can tell you who your representative is based on your street address. If I put in an address that is 1/2 block down the street it tells me I am in another district.
Plus as time goes on lots and lots of those inconsistencies have been eliminated. At least in my state when they did e911 the address and physical location of every building was verified and recorded. Duplicate and ambiguous street names were renamed. Homes with PO box or rural route addresses now have formal addresses even if they are the only one on a road.
On 11/23/2011 9:00 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I'm amazed that so many technically sophisticated posters consider the issue of automated software managing the sales tax calculation for on-line business to be unworkable. We probably all have been exposed to essentially real time updating of huge relational databases. We're not computing in the 1980s folks. Look how long it takes google to accomplish a search with their custom algorithms, even for arcane keywords. I think you over-estimate the difficulty. I suspect some company, maybe even a start-up, could make a bundle by developing the software accompanied by a user subscription charge for ongoing auto-updates of the database (analogous to the auto-updates of the signature files for our anti-virus programs).

No one has ever figured out how to do it, so it does seem to be unworkable.

There were "huge relational databases" in the 1980s, kid.

...and that's relevant, how?

I *know* you underestimate the problem, as do most kids.

...and that's free (if it were possible)?
On 11/23/2011 11:24 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Compare the size of a database that you could access back then and what you can do now. It would absolutely astonish you.

Because it is an excellent example of how much computing and databases have evolved that most everyone who has a computer has witnessed?

You don't have to show how little you know with every post. We got it!

So you admit that it's completely irrelevant. Glad we got that cleared up.

<more crickets>
On 11/23/2011 5:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Not sure why you behave as childishly as you do with the constant ad hominem attacks. If you have nothing to offer an ad hominem attack only makes you look silly.

After a while, we get it. You can't read. No ad hominem at all; just the facts.
On 11/24/2011 1:22 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Who is the "we" you use? You are notably the only one in this group who specializes in name calling and personal attacks instead of actual adult dialogue.

Everyone here, dufus. Not everyone is as stupid as you advertise.
...just stating the obvious. Sorry if it hurts your feelings.

Right! Just give me their address and not only can I locate them within 30 feet I can probably pull up a photo of their house showing the cars in the driveway along with a photo of the front of the house. Now you are going to try and tell me that its too hard to determine what sales tax district they are in. Give me a break, it isn't rocket science.
Peter wrote:

Not entirely unworkable, but not as easy as typing a few lines of code either.

Still is the matter of getting the tax to the States, unless they make a clearinghouse of some sort. How is the one-man shop (or any non-giant like Amazon) going to file quarterly returns to states he/she does not have a sales/use tax permit in?
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,

I know! Use BMI or ASCAP! That'll solve the states' collection problems. ...for a small fee.
Peter wrote:

No need. The software already exists. You can do a simple internet search to find several companies offering such a product. For a reasonably-sized internet company, the company can expect to pay upwards of $5,000.00 per year for such a service.
If you owned a used book store and sold 5,000 books per year nationwide, you'd have to add $1.00 to the price of each book just to cover the calculation of the appropriate tax. The result? No more used books sold online, or at least not very many.

Sorry but I have been working with software for 40 years and it's a no brainer. Just more excuses.

Zip codes don't follow municipal lines (tax rates). I know it's used, but they're often wrong.
On 11/23/11 08:12 am, Peter wrote:

AFAIK there are no county or city sales taxes in MI, but if the nearby city from which our mail is delivered and whose ZIP code we share did have a sales tax, charging us based on our ZIP code would be unjustified.
Perce