OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

I've run bookfairs involving hundreds of authors over the years. Here's a short list:

  • Eli Wiesel
  • Chiam Potok
  • Judith Martin (Miss Manners)
  • Leon Uris
  • Alan Dershowitz
  • Ellen Goodman
  • Erica Jong
  • Charles Pfeiffer
  • Judy Blume
  • Sid Caesar
  • Bernard Kalb
  • Red Auerbach
  • David Broder
  • Gerald Posner
  • Johanna Hurwitz
  • And many, many, more

The bookfairs paid not a single penny for their appearance. All expenses were covered by the publishers.

Reply to
HeyBub

I commend for your consideration a letter from the head of Tartan Cables (a recovering lawyer) in response to a "Cease & Desist" demand from Monster Cable. It begins:

"Dear Monster Lawyers,

"Let me begin by stating, without equivocation, that I have no interest whatsoever in infringing upon any intellectual property belonging to Monster Cable. Indeed, the less my customers think my products resemble Monster's, in form or in function, the better."

In the body of the letter, one finds:

"Let me be clear about this: there are only two ways for you to get anything out of me. You will either need to (1) convince me that I have infringed, or (2) obtain a final judgment to that effect from a court of competent jurisdiction. It may be that my inability to see the pragmatic value of settling frivolous claims is a deep character flaw, and I am sure a few of the insurance carriers for whom I have done work have seen it that way; but it is how I have done business for the last quarter-century and you are not going to change my mind. If you sue me, the case will go to judgment, and I will hold the court's attention upon the merits of your claims--or, to speak more precisely, the absence of merit from your claims--from start to finish. Not only am I unintimidated by litigation; I sometimes rather miss it."

It's a long letter, but if you, like me, take some perverse pleasure in seeing the bully get his comeuppance, it's an entertaining one.

HeyBub

He is exempt BECAUSE he has no presence in those states. If the law in question passes, then he will be. Getting cyber retailers to pony up is the entire reason for the suggested law. Unless there is an exemption based on size or some such, the little guy will be every bit as on the hook for sales taxes everywhere as the big box. You seem to be saying ((and feel free to correct me if I am wrong) that if the law passes he won't owe the tax and the states won't go after the little guy. I am saying they will. Heck I can just about guarantee three things (1). Shops will soon pop up that find a way make money going after the little guys (2). The states will sign them up (3). They will get it very wrong more times than not.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No comment on your nearby library seminar honorarium, other than that it seems out of line for a "talk". At least, the Bergen County Genealogical Society doesn't pay anything like that, says a member of the board (not me).

For Christie, it was easy. Firstly, state aid was greatly reduced due to the budget crisis in NJ. Secondly a 2% cap on increases in local budgets was enacted as part of a compromise state budget bill. There were some ways to get local hardships to get excused from the 2% cap, but that wasn't easy.

Reply to
Han

Sounds like it should be that way. Want to sell books? Go see the potential customers. Sounds like the library does not care about wasting money.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Then your answer was #1 not #5.

Reply to
BobR

Then your issue was with the local vendor and only the local vendor. That doesn't change the fact that buying on the internet from out of state vendors that don't collect the sales tax is giving an unfair advantage to the internet vendor. Amazing that your internet vendor in state was able to calculate the tax.

Reply to
BobR

Tough situation. If you cut state aid, the locals should be able to do as they please.

Overall, most every state is in a difficult situation. Because of the economy, taxes are not flowing in the way they should. Businesses and personal households are cutting back as needed, but the governments don't want to. Raising taxes is not the answer when people are struggling to keep afloat. With the cost of oil going up, even those that are maintaining the same income have higher expenses.

We just can't keep funding the same programs. But, the big questions is, what do you cut?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

too.- Hide quoted text -

The number of posts is irrelevant. The fact is that you just can't stop answering someone who you believe "has no significance". Now *THAT* is stupid.

Yes, it's obvious to everyone that you *are* that stupid.

Reply to
krw

Boo hoo! You're *BROKE*. Deal with that first!

Reply to
krw

Yawn. Since I paid the sales tax, it was calculated properly. There are no local business that sell a lot of the tools and parts I need. prior to the internet it meant paper catalogs and order forms, along with a business check. Use tax was paid to the state of Ohio every quarter, per the laws involved. Since 99% + of my work was for non profit or government agencies, I was audited every quarter because of the low sales tax reported. They never found an error, and after 18 months they flagged my account so I wouldn't lose a day and a half's work every 90 days.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

And you get a lot of space saving rectangular cans to store hardware in, too. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Exactly what they are wanting to do. Glad to see you finally agree.

Reply to
BobR

It shouldn't be hard, rationally. If 5,000 people a month use the local library and only three people a year want their dog psychoanalyzed, the a surplus in the budget of $5,003 dollars is easy to allocate.

But, of course, budgets aren't distributed rationally.

Reply to
HeyBub

I reject the notion of "unfair advantage." Passing tax laws to interfere with the marketplace is a terrible idea. It wasn't too many years ago that some states had "fair trade" laws that prohibited stores from selling at the price they wanted, such as a "loss leader." New Jersey, and its law prohibiting self-serve gas stations is another example. As a consequence, motorists in New Jersey have to pay more than those in neighboring states for gasoline.

No, the absence of a sales tax on internet sales is a "competitive" advantage, not an "unfair" one. Let the local store compete on location and immediate sales. Plus, there's nothing to stop the local store from offering their products on a web site. All they need is a 12-year old male to be their webmaster.

Reply to
HeyBub

That's what Cristie wants to do. Han, and the rest of you lefties want to whine about how "unfair" it all is to the poor unions. Suck it up, bucko.

Reply to
krw

Know what happens when you make ASS-U-mptions? You make an ASS out of YOURSELF! And you just made a very big ASS-U-mption that was totally wrong.

Reply to
BobR

I must totally disagree, it is a totally unfair competitive advantage that can't be make up by setting up and selling their products on the web.

Reply to
BobR

You can lie to yourself but the rest of the world has an IQ > 3.

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

When the wealth of the nation has flowed to the rich you still want to tax the less fortunate? That will get you exactly what you don't want. Read the papers, watch TV, etc, and perhaps you will get the message.

Reply to
Han