OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

I know! Use BMI or ASCAP! That'll solve the states' collection problems. ...for a small fee.

Reply to
krw

They ship to stores. Those purchases shipped to homes have the same intractable problem and people are constantly being over/under charged. Half object but no one cares.

Reply to
krw

Sorry but you are clearly clueless about the available software and what it can do.

BullShit.

There are already companies that collect sales tax over the internet and have been for years. They are required to because they have both B&M as well as internet sales so they don't have an excuse.

Reply to
BobR

rote:

I guess you pretty much answered his question. Nothing but juvenile insults.

Reply to
BobR

Gee, how do you even get out of bed in the morning...it's impossible.

Reply to
BobR

Ah, I hurt your feelings too. Don't worry, Barak will take care of you, too.

Reply to
krw

I suppose you would need help. Hint: a foot at a time, then sit up. Now, I've doubled your IQ. That's pretty good for one day.

Reply to
krw

You're 100% wrong, but that is no surprise to anyone either. It's not what

*SOFTWARE* can do. It's what the garbage-in can do. Morons like you are easily convinced of SMOP.

quoted text -

Wrong, as always.

...and they *all* have problems with the corner cases.

Reply to
krw

te:

, too.- Hide quoted text -

You aren't capable of hurting my feelings, you have no significance.

Reply to
BobR

Are you really so damn stupid that you actually believe that? I guess you are but damn, I didn't think anyone could be that damn stupid.

I am convinced that YOU are incapable of solving this very simple problem that just because you are stupid doesn't mean that everyone else is. Hell, this isn't even a very difficult problem with the information that is easily available to anyone with an honest desire to find it and use it. Most internet companies just simply don't want to bother, they have an advantage and they want to keep it. Well FUCK THEM and you to

ht.- Hide quoted text -

Then maybe they are too damn ignorant to be in business in the first place.

Reply to
BobR

too.- Hide quoted text -

Yet you can't resist answering. Got it.

Reply to
krw

You lead one to no other conclusion, dummy.

Everyone is convinced that you're too dumb to breathe. Then again, maybe that's why you're so damned dumb.

...yet you just can't stop posting replies to my posts. That *is* stupid, but this is no surprise.

Good God, you're stupid!

Reply to
krw

I can resist answering.

Reply to
John Doe

Then please do.

Reply to
krw

This is not a "very simple" problem. Getting the exact sales tax percent for the delivery address is not in any database I know of. Even if the data was readily available, there is no current way of implementing it with off-the-shelf 'shopping cart' software. If the software could do it by a database lookup (would have to be zip+4), that's only one hurdle overcome.

How does the small-time merchant get the tax monies to the state it was collected for? Are we expected to get sales/use certificates in every damn state? Do they expect that 'we' small merchants file a quarterly return in every state? I have a hard enough time doing it for the feds and Texas every 3 months, there is no way in hell I could do that x50.

It may be just the "big" guys now like Amazon, but they will eventually try to get all the tax revenue they can. I'm not going to do that unless they make it 2-click easy (and free).

The way it stands now, it would actually be illegal for me to collect tax in any state besides my home state. I have one sales/use tax permit, and its only valid in Texas. If I collected sales tax without a permit I could go to prison for interstate fraud/theft. If I don't charge tax, they can do nothing to me or my business. (as it stands today)

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yep. And Wards is out of business.

The software necessary to accomplish the result you favor costs upwards of several thousand dollars per year and must be updated at least monthly. Giant retailers - Sears, Target, etc. - can absorb this cost, but the part-timer who sells homemade candles or cookies cannot.

Reply to
HeyBub

Ah, you've never owned a retail business.

When I make my report to the state comptroller, *I* have to specify which sub-authority gets what. There are over 2,000 separate taxing authorities in my state (city, county, metro, hospital districts, mosquito control districts, enterprise zones, etc.). *I* have to compute the amount of tax due EACH one.

For example, I may sell a $100 item to some rancher in a sparsely-populated county. The only tax is $6.00 to the state. If I sell that same item to a customer in a metropolitan area, I may have to collect, and report individually, $6.00 to the state, $1.50 to the customer's city, $0.50 to his local transit authority, and $0.25 to the community hospital district (total

8.25%) and report each separately.

Now multiply the above by, say, 1,000 customers scattered across the state, complicated by quarterly reporting, and you begin to see the difficulty for just one retailer dealing with his home state. (Imagine a spread-sheet with

2,000 columns - the taxing authorities and 1,000 rows - the customers. Further imagine different percentages for each of the columns. Has your brain exploded yet?)

Now pretend this same retailer is faced with, potentially, 11,000 sales tax jurisdictions across the land. It's mind boggling.

Reply to
HeyBub

No need. The software already exists. You can do a simple internet search to find several companies offering such a product. For a reasonably-sized internet company, the company can expect to pay upwards of $5,000.00 per year for such a service.

If you owned a used book store and sold 5,000 books per year nationwide, you'd have to add $1.00 to the price of each book just to cover the calculation of the appropriate tax. The result? No more used books sold online, or at least not very many.

Reply to
HeyBub

It seems unfair that a local store can supply the merchandise immediately when one has to wait three days for that same merchandise to arrive from Amazon. To be "fair," the local brick and mortar store should be required to hold the merchandise, much like a lay-away, for at least a couple of days to ensure "fairness."

Of course if you needed another box of nails, a replacement for a broken drill-bit, or a water pump for your car, you might be slightly inconvenienced by waiting a few days, but at least the universe would take a big step toward fairness.

It's for the children.

Reply to
HeyBub

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

They'll send you a bill, or reduce your refund, because they've added an amount to that atx line assuming that is the amount you have spent out of state on use tax-subject stuff.

You'll have to prove the amount NY has estimated is incorrect.

NY indeed stinks, and NJ isn't that much better. We do agree on the politicians ...

Reply to
Han