OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

Page 5 of 13
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've run bookfairs involving hundreds of authors over the years. Here's a short list: * Eli Wiesel * Chiam Potok * Judith Martin (Miss Manners) * Leon Uris * Alan Dershowitz * Ellen Goodman * Erica Jong * Charles Pfeiffer * Judy Blume * Sid Caesar * Bernard Kalb * Red Auerbach * David Broder * Gerald Posner * Johanna Hurwitz * And many, many, more
The bookfairs paid not a single penny for their appearance. All expenses were covered by the publishers.

Sounds like it should be that way. Want to sell books? Go see the potential customers. Sounds like the library does not care about wasting money.

No comment on your nearby library seminar honorarium, other than that it seems out of line for a "talk". At least, the Bergen County Genealogical Society doesn't pay anything like that, says a member of the board (not me).
For Christie, it was easy. Firstly, state aid was greatly reduced due to the budget crisis in NJ. Secondly a 2% cap on increases in local budgets was enacted as part of a compromise state budget bill. There were some ways to get local hardships to get excused from the 2% cap, but that wasn't easy.
--
Best regards
Han

Tough situation. If you cut state aid, the locals should be able to do as they please.
Overall, most every state is in a difficult situation. Because of the economy, taxes are not flowing in the way they should. Businesses and personal households are cutting back as needed, but the governments don't want to. Raising taxes is not the answer when people are struggling to keep afloat. With the cost of oil going up, even those that are maintaining the same income have higher expenses.
We just can't keep funding the same programs. But, the big questions is, what do you cut?
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It shouldn't be hard, rationally. If 5,000 people a month use the local library and only three people a year want their dog psychoanalyzed, the a surplus in the budget of $5,003 dollars is easy to allocate.
But, of course, budgets aren't distributed rationally.

Boo hoo! You're *BROKE*. Deal with that first!
On Nov 26, 6:14pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Exactly what they are wanting to do. Glad to see you finally agree.

That's what Cristie wants to do. Han, and the rest of you lefties want to whine about how "unfair" it all is to the poor unions. Suck it up, bucko.
On Nov 26, 8:27pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Know what happens when you make ASS-U-mptions? You make an ASS out of YOURSELF! And you just made a very big ASS-U-mption that was totally wrong.

You can lie to yourself but the rest of the world has an IQ > 3.

When the wealth of the nation has flowed to the rich you still want to tax the less fortunate? That will get you exactly what you don't want. Read the papers, watch TV, etc, and perhaps you will get the message.
--
Best regards
Han

Tax at greater than zero? You bet! Everyone should have skin in the game.

You're nuts.

Well, most of the rest of the world has an IQ > 3.

Thanks!
--
Best regards
Han

You don't!

There you go, lying to yourself again. Don't worry, we're just laughing at you.

Whoever laughs last, laughs best!
--
Best regards
Han

HaHaHaHaHaHaHa! You're funny!
On Nov 27, 3:37pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

You must suffer from a multiple personality disorder since you are the only one laughing.
On 11/24/2011 9:58 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

I do think that tax collectors shouldn't need need to incur any additional expense. So the taxing body needs to cover the cost of the database.

And a completely unfair system. Brick and mortar stores are required to be a tax collector while others aren't.

I don't know how it works today, but years ago, I kept a portion of the tax collected as my fee. On big sellers, it would cover costs. I'm sure it varies by state though.