OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

Page 3 of 13
On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:28:46 -0600, G. Morgan

I know. The people saying it can be done will come up with all kinds of computer necessary scenarios, like putting a man on the moon or walking in outer space. They obviously are nuts. 50 sales tax rates? No way.
On 11/24/2011 11:22 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Seems impossible to me too even with those mammoth mainframe computers that use trays of punch cards...

A lot of very weak excuses but no real reason that internet and catalogue retailers should be exempt from collecting sales tax. The states already maintain the database and I am sure they would be happy to keep the retailers updated via the internet.

Being unconstitutional is "no real reason"? ...or can't you read?

OK, you've proven that you're illiterate.

They are charging STATE taxes. Some have no tax, so it is maybe 48 or so to collect.

Aside from the fact that donuts will probably not be sold mailorder often, how do the big stores do it now? They have stores in every state, yet manage to do all of this already. Sure, it will be some expense, but it is merely adapting existing software. Some Internet sellers collect tax in multiple states already.

Not even close. While most states have a base rate that applies across the state, almost all of those states have additional amounts added from hundreds of different taxing entities.

You're missing the point. When a store opens, the company knows the location of the store and the tax rates that apply to the store's location. What you want to implement is not to know the rates that apply to that store, but to every potential customer. You're talking orders of magnatude greater number of possible rates.

So the little village is SOL. The state gets their money and the local has to figure out a better way. Once the state get their share, they won't much give a damn about the small local taxing authorities either.

Some chains have 3000 or 4000 stores. It is easier to setup a computer at one location for 50 state than to set up 4000 local systems. I think you have it backwards.

Because of the physical presence thing. They charge sales taxes because of where they are. It is one place that doesn't have to ask if the person they are selling to is in one of the weird districts. The sales taxes for the Internet, at least as currently being discussed, are not based on where one building is, but rather where the building they are sending it to is. Whole other ball of wax.

Yes, an easier to handle ball of was. Now they will have 50 states to deal with from one computer rather than the different ones in their 3000 local stores. The state for the shipping address with determine the tax. Look up charts are easy.
Take a look at the withholding tax on your pay stub. Does every employee where you work pay the same tax every week? No, the computer looks at the gross pay and references a chart for the proper tax for the number of exemptions. Many more possibilities doing payroll than shipping to 50 states.
If you can make a simple spreadsheet, you can do the sales tax thing.
On 11/23/2011 11:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Absolutely, there is nothing at all complicated. If you can quantify something you can have a computer look up process that can use that information.

On 11/24/2011 9:21 AM, George wrote:

Agreed, most places will likely subscribe to a service that maintains an up-to-date sales tax database, just as many companies do for payroll taxes.
There is a line on my state's income tax form where you're supposed to be reporting all of these out-of-state purchases and cough up the sales tax you owe. I'm pretty sure most people ignore it, besides, that would be a lot of purchases to keep track of.
Reality is that the states can't just ignore it anymore. It's a lot of revenue lost.
nancy

I believe most states will adjust that line if there is no evidence to back up a zero amount. I know NY and NJ would.
--
Best regards
Han

How could they possibly adjust the amount on a form and still have a form that can hold up in a fraud case? You would be requiring people to sign a fraudulent document.
How do you supply "evidence of a zero amount"? "OK, I have zero evidence of the actual amount!"
...not that I would put either past those two cesspools.
On Nov 24, 11:31am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Gee, how do you even get out of bed in the morning...it's impossible.

I suppose you would need help. Hint: a foot at a time, then sit up. Now, I've doubled your IQ. That's pretty good for one day.

They'll send you a bill, or reduce your refund, because they've added an amount to that atx line assuming <hehehe> that is the amount you have spent out of state on use tax-subject stuff.

You'll have to prove the amount NY has estimated is incorrect.

NY indeed stinks, and NJ isn't that much better. We do agree on the politicians ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 11/25/2011 7:48 AM, Han wrote:

I don't know what you're talking about, really, NJ has never adjusted the taxes I file by changing that line or any other.
nancy

NY would have if youentered zero I've always entered a nonzero amount, accurate to the best of my ability, on either, depending on where I lived.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

We don't have a state income tax in TX, but you can *deduct* itemized sales tax paid from your federal return (or take the default amount).
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,

I know, but we are talking about charging sales tax by (little) companies. When the immunity from charging salestax to an out of state customer is lifted, the companies (big or little) will need to know how much to charge to Joe Bloe in East Overshoes in some other state, plus which agency to remit that to. I was saying that a national database relying on zip+4 could probably do that fairly easily, and I'd say that most states would be willing to fund that database.
--
Best regards
Han