OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

A database that is for one (you yourself say) small area and answering only one question. Not really the same as one state, many counties, untold cities, and bunches of smaller taxing districts.. and then do the same for 50 other states. I am not saying it can't be done, I am just saying that the burden to the company is a few orders of magnitude different, including upkeep on your DBs. I
On 11/24/2011 10:10 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I gave it as an example to show what has been done in general not just in that area. I never indicated or suggested it was unique.
I have never looked as to the exact mandate but getting rid of PO box, rural route addresses and ambiguous addresses has been ongoing for some time.

Interesting thread.
Delaware has no sales tax, although there is a hidden <1% tax on merchents. In our shopping center's parking lots, half the cars are from out of state, mostly MD, PA and NJ residents.
We do have a 4 cent bottle tax to support recycling and, as Stormin points out, a merchant in letter to paper says it takes him 2-3 hours per month of his time to comply. You also have to realize that for every new law, it takes new government workers to enforce it.

Hmm, here in 'tax-happy' New York State there is a line on the state tax return where you are 'required' to add in all the state tax that you did not pay on 'out of state' purchases.
George H.
On 11/23/2011 9:34 AM, George Herold wrote:

PA has had the same self reporting requirement for as long as I can remember.

PA sends revenue agents into DE and MD to stake out liquor stores for PA buyers returning to PA. While back, I recall liquor store owners in MD chasing them out of their parking lots.

I believe most states have this in their income tax forms. It doesn't cost anything to put it there but likely gets just about as much in return. Have you ever put anything there?

NY did that 20-30 years ago. They'd send agents to the malls in NJ, about this time of year, and send "kindly" reminders to everyone with NY plates parking there. I doubt that it generated any revenue but it did generate a lot of bad press (can you say Scrooge?).

The "Staties" should escort them to the border with a suggestion that they not return.
On Nov 23, 10:28am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Yup, I always put down a little something ~$10-20. All internet purchases, but less in recent years since I've just been checking the box on the order form to have the vendor pay my sales tax. (But remember I'm a liberal weenie, I also pay ~$100 a year extra to get all my electricity from the local wind farm.)
George H.

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:59:55 -0800 (PST), George Herold

I guess you make perfect sense. ...to someone.
SMS <scharf.steven geemail.com> wrote:

And everyone in your world is so eager to pay taxes, they do not even have to be told... At least in my state, the state never tells anyone that they are supposed to pay a "usage" tax on out-of-state purchases. I seem to recall someone working for the state telling me that the state has a usage tax but that nobody pays those taxes.
Another reason for not sampling a grape at the supermarket is because others might be putting their grubby hands all over the grapes too.
--

Frank wrote:

Here's another one that may be worse.
My business was audited by the state comptroller's office. The on-site auditor wanted to see invoices we had generated for our out-of-state sales. I declined to provide them.
Glad I did.
My tax attorney told me auditors from other states also work in my town and there's a background communications link between them. Had my state auditor discovered an invoice to, say, a client in Missouri, she would have snitched out that fact to the local Missouri auditor. That Missouri auditor, in turn, would pass on the information to the Missouri comptroller's office. A herd of people with green eye-shades and sleeve garters would then descend on my client, demanding to know why he didn't pay the sales tax on an out-of-state purchase.

In California now, the law has changed. If I sell a unit to a customer out of state, but SHIP it from California, I MUST charge California sales taxes on the unit. We double checked on that!!!
Charlie
On 11/23/11 09:34 am, George Herold wrote:

In MI, one is required to report out-of-state purchases in excess of $1000 (per item). Purchases for lesser amounts may either be itemized if one has the receipts or else assessed automatically on the basis of the taxable income (I *think* that's the basis). But one is supposed to pay only the difference between the sales tax actually paid elsewhere (if any) and the MI tax. So we don't pay MI "use tax" on the items that we bought in IL where the tax rate is 8.xx (varies from county to county).
Perce
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 11:32:28 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

These states are missing an opportunity to charge double sales tax. What *were* they thinking?
John
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:41:14 -0800, John Larkin

SCotUS had something to say about that. They also tried taxing retirement income in the state where the income was earned. SCotUS took a dim view on that one, too.
On 23 Nov., 17:41, John Larkin

it seem ok enough that amazon have the unfair advantage, of paying no saletax, over local shops just because they sell stuff over the internet and not over the counter
-Lasse
snipped-for-privacy@fonz.dk wrote:

It seems unfair that a local store can supply the merchandise immediately when one has to wait three days for that same merchandise to arrive from Amazon. To be "fair," the local brick and mortar store should be required to hold the merchandise, much like a lay-away, for at least a couple of days to ensure "fairness."
Of course if you needed another box of nails, a replacement for a broken drill-bit, or a water pump for your car, you might be slightly inconvenienced by waiting a few days, but at least the universe would take a big step toward fairness.
It's for the children.

well then in exchange for the waiting time you should have to pay sale tax then it would be fair

that is if you are lucky enough that there's still a shop to go to and it hasn't been closed because it didn't sell anything because every one bought stuff online to avoid the sales tax
-Lasse
" snipped-for-privacy@fonz.dk" wrote:

I only shopped mail order or online for what I couldn't get locally, or it was so damned overpriced that I wouldn't. I needed a 10' HDMI cable recently. $3.49 delivered, or $49.99 local, and both were made in China.

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 15:59:21 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

So you managed to avoid paying about $3.00 in sales tax..