OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

Page 2 of 13
Peter wrote:

It's considerably more complicated than dropping in a sales tax calculator. First, there are about 11,000 sales tax jurisdictions in the U.S. Second, the boundaries of these jurisdictions change on an almost daily basis, for example, when a city with a sales tax enlarges its corporate limits or changes its tax rate. The "drop-in" software will require periodic updates. It's not for nothing that tax lawyers are often called "loose-leaf lawyers." Several hours a week their associates are tasked with updating the tax law reference books with tax law changes that took place in just the past few days.
But these confusions pale into insignificance when compared to two other considerations:
1. What is taxed is highly variable. In New York, magazines are tax exempt while newspapers are subject to the sales tax. It's the exact reverse in California (that's why the NY Post has a staple - it's thereby permantly bound, exempt from the tax, and has a 9% competitive advantage over its competitors). Just in my state, a single donut is taxable, but six or more are not! This oddity, alone, could require 11,000 possible taxing flags (plus quantity modifiers) for each item the company sells. In some places, prescription drugs are exempt while OTC drugs are taxed. What about an OTC drug on a prescription? (See the recent changes to Medical Savings Accounts regarding drug purchases.)
2. The reporting requirements are staggering. Imagine sending several hundred or thousand reports - and checks - monthly, quarterly, semiannually, or yearly depending on the reporting requirements of each taxing authority.
It's more than a body can bear!
Brick & Mortar stores have one competitive advantage: the convenience of immediacy. Just like your neighborhood Stop & Rob, you can get your merchandise right now. If the B&M stores can't make it with this advantage, they should hire an 11-year old male as a web master and start selling online.
Aside: There IS an alternative: Amazon, or whoever, could simply provide a list of each purchaser's name, address, and amount to each state comptroller and let the STATE struggle with trying to collect the taxes. If it's too big a job, or financially imprudent, to do so, what makes anyone think that putting that burden on hundreds of thousands of merchants is better?

This usually the way it is SUPPOSED to be done. In Indiana, for instance, I am supposed to pay a use tax for things I get out of state that aren't taxable.

Same in NYS.
When I helped my daughter with her 2010 taxes, TaxAct estimated her "NYS Use Tax" at $8 based on her earned income. (I think that might be the minimum.)
She's a college student with a part time job and she does indeed buy most of her stuff on-line, so we opted to leave the $8 tax on her form.
Soon after we e-filed it, we got a notification that the state had "fixed an error" on her form. They removed the $8 tax and increased her refund by that amount.
Who were we to argue?

All of this is extremely simple on the software/comm side. Already being done. Ever think about the mechanics of walking a step? You can write a thousand pages to make that look complicated too. And it is. Sales tax is trivial in comparison. Of course taxes are man-made.
--Vic
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:25:11 -0600, Vic Smith

Huh? If this is so easy, why do I always get directed to web pages for a city fifty miles from here?

Bullshit.
...and made as complicated as man can.
On 11/23/2011 11:09 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

After you furnish your address? You are totally confusing web sites trying to guess where you are vs doing a database look up to determine something such as applicable taxes after you tell them where you are.

I (and several others) have already explained why the postal address is useless for accurately determining sales tax jurisdiction. If you don't care to read (or can't) that's not my problem.
On 11/23/2011 5:27 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Are you actually capable of a dialogue or just juvenile insults?

When you show that you're capable of reading, I'll stop calling you an imbecile. Truth hurts, too bad.
On Nov 24, 11:26am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I guess you pretty much answered his question. Nothing but juvenile insults.

Ah, I hurt your feelings too. Don't worry, Barak will take care of you, too.
On Nov 24, 3:55pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

You aren't capable of hurting my feelings, you have no significance.

Yet you can't resist answering. Got it.
" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <krwatt.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:

I can resist answering.

Then please do.

The number of posts is irrelevant. The fact is that you just can't stop answering someone who you believe "has no significance". Now *THAT* is stupid.

Yes, it's obvious to everyone that you *are* that stupid.
On 11/24/2011 10:31 PM, BobR wrote:

Now that "krw" has clearly identified they have no useful or valuable input and their only reason for being here is to childishly screw with people for personal entertainment it makes sense to simply ignore her...

Then why do you answer? Got your goat?
Vic Smith wrote:

Yep. Anything is simple if all you have to do is pay for it.
A short internet reconnaissance reveals one company - Service Objects DOTS Fast Tax - has a module you can incorporate in your web-based marketing system. It costs $1,428.00 per year for up to 5,000 transaction per month. (The cost goes up to almost $6,000.00 per year as the transaction count increases.)
Vic Smith wrote:

The shopping cart software I use can be configured to add a pre-set percentage for each STATE, but that is not accurate enough. I drive 5 miles north to Montgomery Co. and there is no METRO tax of 1% like Harris County. Sales tax by State is easy, by all the little municipalities, it's not.
Now that I've collected taxes from the: "45 states and the District of Columbia [that] impose sales and use taxes on the retail sale"* . What the hell am I supposed to do, file 46 extra returns every quarter? I don't think so. Would I have to get a sales tax certificate in each State I sell stuff to?
I'm not doing it. Texas residents are charged 8.25% because that is the rate at my physical location. If the other states want me to collect taxes for them, there will have to be an incentive. It would take considerable time, money, and effort to do that.
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,