One man bands

Here's some pictures of projects I did around my house. I did all but the back patio awning by myself.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler /
On the container, I will lift the deck sheets with a custom made basket lifted with the hoist shown, about ten at a time. They will only have to be moved about ten feet from the basket to where they go. Was going to use the hoist and a bosun chair today to paint it, but used a ladder, as it was faster than moving the hoist every time I moved over a row. Roof is 32' x 40'. Made and lifted all the joists and other metal myself.
There has been a thread about a one man band roofer lately, and I think I have to retract my position that he could not do roofing by himself. I hold on my position re: insurance, or lack of it.
I was a steel erection contractor for ten years. Licensed, bonded, insured, and cleared to work on federal sites. I worked on erecting and laying down drilling derricks on offshore oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico 300' up from waterline. I got to ride Coast Guard helicopters three times for medical evacuation.
My wife gets nervous watching me work, but so far nothing bad. This is tinkertoy sized stuff. She comes out when she needs to ask something, but leaves me alone the rest of the time. I like that. I get more done.
If you do anything for a lot of years, you learn a lot. In addition to the metalwork, we laid 3,000 sf of sod, did landscaping, built Windsor walls, poured some concrete walkways, installed irrigation systems (2) and built a lot of fencing this summer. I worked through three helpers this summer so far. These kids today just can't take it. No endurance. Hottest day, 117F.
I'm 62, almost 63. I had a 9 hour 5 way bypass and aortic valve replaced 9 yrs+ ago, and broke my back July 4th, 2008. In addition to other orthopedic surgeries to fix this and that. If you know what you're doing, it still ain't easy, but it can be done. I can get more done in a day by myself than with a helper. I mainly hire them for heavy lifting.
Lots of ornamental metal and more awnings when I get the containers enclosed and have an indoor welding and fab area. There will be a double gate on each end, and a flowing water cooling system over the exterior. I'll be able to get in there this winter, and escape the freezing temps and cold north wind. And leave everything out instead of having to put it away at the end of every day.
And there's one room just for brewing beer. I'm anxious to have the weather cool off so I can start brewing. Got a restaurant keg refrigerator at a yard sale for $10. I have about $2,000 in brewing equipment, and only spent $200 at yard sales.
Steve
--
Please go to my facebook page, Heart Surgery Survival Guide and LIKE me so I
can get my domain name.

You didn't mention what time the beer tasting party was, so I guess I'll just stop by when I'm in the area. ;)
What sort of beer have you been making recently?
You didn't mention what time the beer tasting party was, so I guess I'll just stop by when I'm in the area. ;)
What sort of beer have you been making recently?
I like porters, English ales, pale ales, Newcastle types, most anything darker than urine.
Steve