Rubber Bands

This isn't a serious problem in need of a solution, but it has my curiosity up. About 8 years ago, I used rubber bands (#33 whatever that means) to attach cardboard tags to a dozen water valves to label them. After installation, the rubber bands were not stretched. In other words, they were stretched to get them around the valve handle, but while sitting there for 8 years, they were not stretched. I recently noticed quite a few of the tags were lying on the floor. When I investigated, I found that the part of the rubber bands that were in contact with the metal valves had turned dark brown and very hard/brittle. The rest of each rubber band looked normal. I just replaced all of them with new rubber bands from the same box that I used 8 years ago. I imagine I should just get some twist ties or tie wraps and use them in the future (if I am still around in another 8 years when they fail again).

I did some googling and found that UV light and cold can harm rubber, but this location is inside and is in total darkness except for a few hours a week at most. The room gets very humid in the summer and the water flowing through the valves is from a water well. So, the valves are often cooler than ambient and damp. In the winter, the temerature can get as low as 40 degrees F in that room and the valves would then be warmer than ambient (although not by very much). So, does anyone know why the rubber got brittle?

Pat

Reply to
Pat

It's oxidation. Better rubber has antioxidants which retard it. I once had a pair of cheap bike tires dry rot in a year without ever being used. Heat and light in garage contribute but oxidation is the degradation mechanism. Safer for you to use wire bag ties to attach tags.

Reply to
Frank

They rot under any circumstances, and are useless for anything permanent. Use plastic zip ties.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Whenever we ran completely out of work we would separate rubber bands from paperclips. (I know, stupid job) but I asked why we had to do this and the stupervisor said the metal dries out the rubber bands rendering them useless.

Reply to
puxatony phil

Deliberate misspelling for a boss who believes that ;)

Reply to
Frank

Also noted it should be Punxsutawney, phil

Reply to
Frank

That actually was a misspell but I left it to irritate ppl. You're the

1st to point it out.
Reply to
puxatony phil

It's called ozone. Use plastic zip ties.

Reply to
Tekkie?

Meanie

Will do, but it must be more than ozone. The entire bands were subjected to equal amounts of ozone. Only the parts in contact with the metal valves hardened. In fact, the rubber bands still in the original opened package were fine. They saw the same amount of ozone during those eight years.

Reply to
Pat

Same as with Oren's response. It can't be just ozone or the entire bands would have had the problem. Somehow, cool & damp sped up the process. Could mold or mildew be part of it?

Reply to
Pat

If I understand correctly, the rubber band hangs on the valve, the tag is s uspended below it. The rubber in contact with the valve has failed while t he rest of it remains intact.

We know that stretched rubber oxidizes much faster than unstretched, but yo u say this part isn't stretched.

Speculating then, the part in contact with the valve is subject to temperat ure effects and does move over the year as the ambient temperatures change.

Reply to
TimR

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@red.lan:

It's very annoying. I onder why someone does not manufacture good ones. They's get rich!

Reply to
KenK

Because 99% of them are used to hold things together temporarily, while gluing, or to hold some letters together in the post. I've never known anyone try to use one permanently.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Doubt they would get rich. I rarely need one to last more than a day or so, many for less than an hour. I'm not willing to pay for a rubber band that would last for years.

You may want to check these out. The cost is $27 a pound.

Or get the regular ones for $4.49 a pound

Ed Pawlowski

What are they for?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Difficult to conceal in class.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Correct.

Correct.

Correct. In addition, the part in contact with the valve is also subject to moisture becasue the valves sweat in the summer.

Thanks to all who responded. Pat

Reply to
Pat