(OT) Another Electronics Question..... CD player-NO speaker

Yesterday it was the DVR questions, today it's a portable CD player with no speaker. I bought a box of stuff at an auction for a couple bucks and was surprised to find a Phillips CD player in the box, and complete with wall wart and car cig lighter cord. Better yet, it works.

Here's the problem. It has no speaker built in. It only has a earphone jack. I plugged a cord into that jack which normally runs the sound from my computer to my home stereo, and it sounds excellent. This is fine, but I dont need a CD player in the house, I'd like it in my car.

It did NOT come with an earphone, and even if it did, *I hate earphones*. My car just has the basic stock AM-FM radio with no AUX jacks. So, what do I need to buy to amplify this thing? I'd prefer something that just plugs into the cig lighter and does not need to be installed in the dash, mainly because I have several vehicles. OR, do they just make a speaker box to plug in to it?

Sorry for all this off topic stuff, but back when I was young, everything came with a speaker. The kids these days seem to be happy with something stuck in their ears, but that wont be me. All I want is an inexpensive speaker device to plug into it so I can hear it without earphones. I only assume it will need a powered amplifier or I'd just take an old computer speaker and plug it in, and toss it on the seat in the car.

Reply to
jw

Hi, There is a such a thing as small FM transmitter you can plug into phone jack and tune your radio. to pick up the CD signal(sound)

Reply to
Tony Hwang

That sounds like a great idea. Where can such a thing be gotten? I'd look on ebay or similar, but I guess I need a name for the thing.

does it still come out in stereo with that thing?

Thanks

Reply to
jw

How about CD FM transmitter?

In addition, if your car radio also has a tape player, you can get dummy tape cassetes that plug into the CD player and play through the dummy tape cartridge (inserted into car or other tape deck).

dadiOH

I have been using one of these stereo FM transmitters for a number of months and it works well.

- David Harper

Reply to
David Harper

"David Harper" wrote in news:4e68ac34$0$32195$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I've had something like that but it didn't work in my 2005 Caravan for my iPhone ...

Reply to
Han

CD players are pretty much displaced by digital players. You can get a current model player from a manufacturer such as a Sandisk that has enough capacity to hold 2,000 songs or lots of podcasts or whatever, doesn't have a motor and has terrific battery life and is ~ 2 x 1 1/4" for $30

Even older "kids" do that. How would you use it say on an airplane? And it is a lot more convenient to transport a complete system (player, power source, ear buds) in your shirt pocket than lugging something big around. I have a little Sansa player that plays for days on an AAA battery. I don't use it as much anymore because my smartphone can do everything the little player can.

Reply to
George

Hi, Are you answering his question or giving a lecture?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Answering the question. If someone isn't aware of a much more common and better way of doing something isn't describing that idea helpful?

Reply to
George

Deal Extreme has all sorts of FM transmitters from about $6 and up. I have a couple of them and they work, as long as you live in an area with a clear FM station. They're kind of a PITA on long trips because it's hard to find a station that will remain clear.

krw

I still use turn table playing LP records through my vintage vacuum tube stereo amp. Also I carry iPod. Am I a cave man?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

No one suggested anything like that. I think you are reading more into my comment than intended. Surely you don't carry your LP turntable with you?

You have an ipod so you know all of the disadvantages (large size, low battery life, low amount of data on the medium (CD), necessity to carry additional CDs if you want more music etc.) of portable CD players and why they aren't used anymore.

Reply to
George

Easy way to do it, walmart, this one even has the audio cable, but I'd rip the CD's and use a USB Flash drive and go that way with it.

Fatter Than Ever Moe

Slow delivery? Really? The one time I ordered from DealExtreme the trinkets were in my hand within a week. Not bad from China, via the USPS. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I bought a couple similar to that from DealExtreme for about $6 each. I also bought a AA powered transmitter for around $10. Shipping added another $5 or so. At $20, Wallmart is a ripoff. ;-) ...and they're out of stock.

Reply to
krw

Amazon has it

Reply to
Jim Rusling

I live in cave. Still playing LP on my turn table using vacuum tube stereo amp.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I bought a MP3 player last year. It too came with an earphone (I think they call them ear buds), but no speaker. I plugged it into my house stereo because I could not use it in the car except with the ear phones. But I often have my laptop computer in the car and I can play MP3s on it when I drive. Not the greatest sound on that tiny speaker, but better than the junk they play on the radio.

I imagine those FM transmitters would work on the MP3 player too...

Reply to
jw

Good lord. Go to Walmart and buy an in-dash AM/FM/CD player for $50 or less.

Reply to
Ron

And MP3/USB. And if you want to throw an other $60 bucks at it you can get a model that will do hands free bluetooth so you can use your phone (or just stream from a player over bluetooth) . Saves having all of the cables, adapters and whatever all over the place in the car.

Reply to
George