Older window AC question?

I had a trusty 6K btu LG built Sears Window AC that quit this year (might be fuse(s) or OLP (can't find them yet). But when disassembling it I noticed that the squirrel cage fan and internal ducting seems to be covered in what to me looks like mold.

A couple of questions:

1) what would cause mold to attach to those areas? 2) is there anything that can be done to remediate the existing mold? 3) what, if anything, could be done to prevent this in the future including with new ac units?

Thanks - I'm just curious.

Reply to
bobm3

Mold is in the air. The blower moves air. AC units have lots of water from condensation. Mold likes moisture.

Could be mold, could be dust, could be a combination,. Clean filter regularly, disinfect while you are at it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Wash with hot water and bleach. Because they are in a high humidiy setting, any dust that settles on them is a fertile spot for mould.

Reply to
clare

It's likely not mold, but clean & oil anyway. Preventive maintenance done at end of EVERY season!! It's probably covered with airborne dust & dirt. Check manual or get a manual. I'll bet you've let it go untouvhrf for years, right? That's a big no-no. Also clean fins of dust & dirt & bend back if bent up.

Reply to
Twayne

to be more efficient in dissipating heat, some modern window air conditioners have the fan splashing in the water that in older designs would have drained away.

1) mold is just doing its job and grows wherever your climate conditions will allow it. 2) bleach kills mold instantly, read the label on tilex shower spray (bleach around 3 percent). refill with diluting your Clorox from its 6 percent by using half bleach and half water in your tilex trigger sprayer. trigger sprayers get eaten by bleach, so replace sprayer when spray is rust colored. 3) at the sacrifice of energy efficiency and at the sacrifice of cooling you can examine the base of the unit for a drain hole, perhaps featuring a plastic plug, perhaps hidden in dirt or mold, and add a drain tube if needed to direct the condensate away. Note the price of replacement air conditioners is often quite reasonable and may include fresh air intake lever, multiple speeds, digital temperature control with remote control, and optional electric heat.
Reply to
buffalobill

Thanks all who replied. I've disassembled much of the unit and located at least one blown fuse. Before reassembly a thorough cleaning will be performed (with the diluted bleach). Even though I've ordered a new replacement nit, keeping this one working will allow use in other rooms. Thanks again.

Reply to
bobm3