Window AC, Dehumidification.

I have a Sears (Kenmore) 25K BTU Window unit.

Three years old.

Last year it produced lots of water (Humidity removal), about 6-8 Gallons per day.

This year there is very little Water draining from the Drain hole, on the outside of the AC.(could there be something plugged up?)

Hope I have explained it right.

Unit still keeps the House cool.

Do I have a problem just about to happen?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Saml

maybe it's plugged. maybe it's been just a year with low humidity. you didn't tell us where in the world you are. here in phoenix, the daily humidity is around 5% now.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Reply to
Saml

Many/most window units are designed to pick up the condensate and spray it on to the condenser, thus evaporating most of it. This process improves efficiency.

Any change in tilt of a window unit can effect how much condensate is picked up. So, the question is, is there any change in the unit vs weather and is the change good or bad?

gerry

Reply to
gerry

IFF an airconditioner cools, dehumidification happens, and water is produced. Unless it's been very dry, the water IS being made. So, unless you've had very low humidity, the water IS being made, and it IS going somewhere. Usually, not always, ac units are made so part of the external fan blows the water into the air so that only on very humid days does the water form enough to drip out. It's usually force-evaporated by the fans for the outside. There are specific mfg rules to install an ac so that it is "level": Did you follow them? How about last year? Too much tilt would let the water drip out before it could evaporate out. Too much the other way and the water can run down the wall inside or ouitside or in between. As for the drain hole, well, look underneath and see. Put a wire into it if you can't tell whether it's plugged or not. If it' plugged, there should be lots of wsater there but I doubt very much there's any ten gallons or so in there - just ain't enough room for that much!

Pop

about 6-8 Gallons

Drain hole, on the

Reply to
Pop Rivet

Reply to
Saml

I have several window units. I buy them used and they work for 3-10 years. Some of mine do what you describe, and it really means nothing, nothing bad. Next year, for whatever reason, it may seem to drain out the original 8 gallons. Here is a suggestion though.

Go out during daylight (get ready to have a small bit of water spit in your face) and take a strong flashlite. Look in the side grills on both sides. Is there more than a quarter inch of water pooling on the bottom? Also, put your hand in front of the side and top grills. Is it spitting or flinging out a slight spray of water? My conclusion: I don't think this signals any real problem.

Reply to
ScooterNDevon