Ac Kenmore window

I have 3 choices on my window ac. Close/Fresh Air/Vent What are the differeces? I smoke and want to be cool but ...fill it in

Reply to
Thomas

Going back a good dozen years one of our customers was a large AC maker. We made a couple of the internal parts for that venting system. According to the engineers the reason the had the vent is because the competition did and it was useless. In theory you can bring in some fresh air or vent some of the room air but the opening was so small in made no practical difference.

From my experience with room AC units over many years, I found no difference in the setting either. Since you smoke, use the vent setting but it won't make a bit of difference.

The company I'm talking about made at least 6 different bands of AC. The difference between them was the front cover and the box. I've been in their plant and once day they made brandX, the next day they made brand y, etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Maybe one runs the fan and the other doesn't?

I would buy the brandy.

Reply to
micky

Maybe you could download the owners manual?

Reply to
Jack Legg

Open all your windows on nice days for a while. With window ac, always use "close" so it's all contained. Always smoke outside, idiot.

Reply to
Gary

My guess would be:

Close - no interaction with outside air Fresh - draws in some outside air Vent - pushes out some inside air

Reply to
trader_4

Yup, same as your car. Closed is looping inside air through the evaporator with ther AC on (fastest cool down) Fresh is pulling air from outside through the evaporator with the AC on (AC has to work harder to keep it cool but you are turning over the air) Vent is just that, fresh air is pulled in but the AC is off so there is no cooling., It is just a fan.

Reply to
gfretwell

That's actually different than what I posted, but I think you're probably right. It's more likely it's just a flap that either draws in some outside air or not together with cooling or no cooling when it's on vent. I don't think it reverses the airflow, too complicated.

Reply to
trader_4