old work 1900 box w/ ext ring?

This is actually a work related question, but I figured it couldn't hurt to throw this out because some of you guys may have run into a similar situation in the past... I need 140 of these so getting it right up front is important.

Let's say that I have a device that requires a 1900 box (no other format will do) that must be a minimum of roughly 2-3/4" deep, 3" preferred. I would like to mount it in an existing drywall studded wall with hopefully no patching required after the work is complete (drop ceiling, so fishing wires no problem.)

There don't appear to be a lot of off the shelf solutions available. In fact, this is the only one that I saw that even looks like it has a hope of working properly

I also found the Raco 8206RAC which would appear to work, but it looks like all holes are through not tapped? in which case that wouldn't work, at least not easily.

Anyone else have any product ideas?

thanks

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If you "need" a 1900 box, the one you chose should work. The Raco is just a low voltage 2 gang opening, not a box. If that would work, there are other 2 gang openings made by Arlington, or Caddy and others. I would think you could also use 2 deep gem boxes ganged together

Reply to
RBM

there are only 4 screw holes in the device, and they line up with 1900 box holes, that is the problem...

mfgr. of the device sells a nice painted surface box for it, but they are out of stock for 6 weeks (whoops!)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

OK, but 1900 boxes only have 2 holes. The Raco 8206RAC has holes like a

1900 2 gang reducing cover, which of course is not 4x4
Reply to
RBM

Right, they only provide two screws with the device, but four holes, presumably so that it doesn't matter in which orientation the 1900 box is installed.

I think I found what I was really looking for... once I left the office and started looking on my computer at home (is it the real keyboard? The comfy chair? The vintage draftsman's lamp? dunno, but the interwebs seem to work better for me here.) I *think* that the Raco

205RAC is what I was really looking for. The objection my installer raised to the other ring was that it would be damn near impossible to install the box, ring, and device without having tapped holes in the ring... looks like someone's already mentioned that to them. The 205RAC appears to have two through holes, which would allow you to pre-install the box and extension ring to the back of the "retro-ring" before inserting into the wall; then there's still two tapped holes to allow you to mount the device.

I'm gonna stop by the supply house on my way to the office in the AM and see if they have a 205RAC that I can buy for a test fit.

Of course, if there's any other product I should be looking at, please let me know...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I woudn't want to make 140 of them, but I have put ears on a 1900 box and used Jiffy clips before.

Reply to
Metspitzer

just in case anyone cares, I stopped at the supply house this AM and got one of the 205RACs for a sample, on my test "wall" (a couple pieces of stiff cardboard stapled together) it works fantastically. I had to mock it up because of concerns of the ring showing from behind the device, but it's not really noticeable.

nate

Reply to
N8N

just in case anyone cares, I stopped at the supply house this AM and got one of the 205RACs for a sample, on my test "wall" (a couple pieces of stiff cardboard stapled together) it works fantastically. I had to mock it up because of concerns of the ring showing from behind the device, but it's not really noticeable.

*I've used them on occasion. They are very handy, but a little pricey.
Reply to
John Grabowski