Old Shop Tools

My father left me several tools (Craftsman drill press, Craftsman radial arm saw, Rockwell 14 band saw, unknown brand shaper) that are 50 years old or older. I don't have a shop, room for a shop, or the skills necessary to align and maintain these tools. Are tools of this vintage generally desirable or are they junk?
On 12/26/2011 9:03 AM, mcp6453 wrote:

Generally, the older the Craftsman, the better.
The Rockwell bandsaw is a classic; the shaper may or may not be of much value depending on size, etc., etc., etc., that are unknown.
The drill press is probably of interest to many; the RAS has fallen from general favor (altho I'm a strong proponent, my situation is a little out of the average ahr as I have large shop and 16" beastie for a RAS) and so, while undoubtedly of use is likely to generate little interest except for the piranhas circling for the kill.
I'd suggest finding a friend who is knowledgeable locally and getting guidance there if really do not have a place or the desire to create such. And condolences on your loss...

I'd say no.
I worked with a group of cabinet makers that were hired for a large project. All power tools were supplied, mostly Craftsmen. This way back in '72. They cabinet makers and carpenters complained mightily about the poor performance and quality of the Craftman tools, table saws, radial saws, planners, etc. Later, around 78', I had the displeasure of using a Craftsman floor sized drill press. Personally, I wouldn't spend five cents for anything Craftsman has made in the last 50 yrs. Jes my opinion.
nb
--
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

On 12/26/2011 9:54 AM, notbob wrote:

'72 is only 40 years; the OP says they're at least 50...if so, that can make worlds of difference. It also depends greatly on just which models they are--even then, Craftsman had a wide range of products from entry-level to not bad at all for home/light commercial use.
The Rockwell bandsaw is a classic; that it's in the collection would make me tend to think OP's father wasn't strapped and perhaps bought higher end. I still recommend he get some local input from somebody who's into woodworking before jumping the gun or at least post pictures and link thereto to rec.woodworking; there's a bunch over there w/ wide range of gear to check against.
"Would you like fish or meat?" "Yes."
(Old line from the Airplane movie, where people got sick, and a passenger had to land the commercial airliner.) https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Airplane ! Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org .
wrote:

I'd say no.
nb
--
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

It won't make you wealthy, but those tools do have some value to a woodworker. 50 years ago, Craftsman tools were pretty good and a Rockwell bandsaw is worth cleaning up as it is better than most new saws today.
Find out if there is a woodworker in the area, or a club and they will help you put some $ value to them. Possibly even make an offer for them.
On 12/26/2011 10:55 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I agree, they're all probably better quality than anything in your local Sears today, and the Rockwell band saw is likely a gem unless it needs serious repairs.
where'd you say you lived again...?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

That's certainly not saying much. Sears sells absolute crap, today, and at real tool prices.

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 10:03:07 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

Do you mean "do people want them" or do you mean "are they worth anything" - there's often a difference :-)
mcp6453 wrote:

Definitely not junk. Put 'em on your local Craigslist. I'd start:
Drill Press, $50 table model, $100 floor model RAS - $75 Band Saw - $150 Shaper - $50
And see what happens. You can re-list them at lower prices if no takers.
Clean them up first.

Might be able to get more than that for it by "turning it in". Sears had several recalls for their RASs. I just got a new table and guard for mine (not yet installed). DAGS on "Craftsman +recall".

Might be on the high side.

If it's a real shaper, it might pull more than that.

On 12/26/2011 6:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

_WAY_ low for a genuine Rockwell in decent shape. They're jewels; it's the creme de la creme of small bandsaws. By about half...

Those prices are way too low for starting. Craftsman or not, they are tools and fine for homeowner if they aren't into building furniture. The Rockwell alone should bring a couple hundred at leasst.
Harry K
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 19:19:46 -0800 (PST), Dean Hoffman

"an item is worth EXACTLY what the highest bidder is willint o pay - not one penny less, nor one penny more"