off topic: new car advice for senior

Page 4 of 16
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 08:38:53 -0700 (PDT), leza wang

easily, and will be able to 5 years from now with anticipated deterioration. It needs to be something she can see well out of as well - no thick A-pillars blocking peripheral vision (means no front side curtain air bags) It also needs to be something she can "wear" comfortably.
A new Corolla would quite likely fit the bill. Some of the CUVs are easier for old folks to get into and out of, and sitting higher, give them better visibility as well. My step-mom LOVES her Matrix (no longer available new). She just turned 80.
A good friend and longtime VW Golf/Jetta owner just switched to a Corolla S (He's 80 too).
My sister-in-law and brother just traded their 2014 Fusion for a Corolla S because she, being a bit on the short side, could not deal with the blindspot behind the left A pillar - where you could quite litterally park a transport truck from where she sat.
Per snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca:

Around here I see an unexpectedly large number of grey heads driving Honda Elements.
My theory: even thought the Element was designed for young people, it turned out to be an accidental ergonomic boon for older people.
I think they're either out of production or about to go out of production, but I would have to consider one if I were getting another vehicle.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 9/24/2015 12:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Her knees are shot - getting one knee replaced in several weeks. She has a handicap plate but no trouble getting in and out of the Forester.
On 9/24/2015 8:38 AM, leza wang wrote:

Ohmigosh! ;-)

I would look at this differently. Instead of looking for a make/model, identify her *needs* -- both now and in the foreseeable future.
SWMBO wanted a new vehicle (didn't *need* one). Her ORIGINAL short list of required features (before she had seen anything in a dealership): - up high (instead of "down low", surrounded by big trucks, etc. This has a big impact on visibility. - good visibility; not just being up high enough to see things but also not having to bob-and-weave to see around various pillars in the front and rear portion of the vehicle - lift *onto* instead of *into*/outof rear storage area; easier to lift something to a particular height and slide it into a wagon, SUV, etc. than it is to lift it up *over* the lip of the trunk and set it down *into* the well. (She does this almost daily with her hobby.) - respectable gas mileage; she doesn't drive much but also isn't keen on throwing money out the tailpipe! - driver's seat that goes up and down (even if only manually); this seems to be something women favor, another visibility issue? - "substantial"; don't want a piece of tin that will get bounced across the roadway whenever it is struck by another vehicle (e.g., SmartCar) - reasonably small (despite other criteria suggesting big!); she didn't want to drive a big truck, etc. - easy to get in/out; not having to FALL into the car nor *climb* out of it - low maintenance costs
After looking at what's available in 2015/16 (vs the last time she purchased a vehicle), she decided to augment her list: - power liftgate (because the *onto* storage requirement pushes you towards a storage area that has a larger "door") - blind spot monitors (to improve visibility of "road sheep") - (rear) cross traffic alert (so she doesn't have to twist her neck to look over her shoulder when backing out of parking spaces) - rear camera (again, cut down on turning her head -- it seems that as folks get older, this gets to be more of an issue)
The downside of many of these "requirements" is that you end up dragging in all sorts of unnecessary prerequisites -- things that the car manufacturer insists you have in order to get the features that you *want*. :<
Good luck in your search. Don't rush it. Dealers will always be pushing you to "buy today" -- tomorrow is usually just as good!
On 9/24/2015 11:38 AM, leza wang wrote:

My first consideration, what fits? What is easy enough to get in and out of?
VW has problems right now but it may be possible to get a huge discount. Don't know how that will shake out.
I'd consider: Hyundai Sonata or the smaller Elantra Toyota Camry or the smaller Corolla Ford Fusion or the smaller Focus
Price can vary considerably depending if they get a stripped down version or a fully loaded model. Right now, Hyundai is offering some good deals on the 2015 Sonata as the 2016 is now hitting the showroom floor.
There are no really bad cars made these days. Most are dependable and have a decent warranty but Hyundai has the longest in both time and miles.
On 9/24/2015 12:02 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Perhaps VW will bring back their 10 year power train warranty.
Just don't buy a manual transmission VW. Clutch replacement is horrendously expensive due to everything that must be removed to get to it.

virtually all AWDs.
On 9/24/2015 3:02 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Kia has a 100k, 10 year drive train warranty as standard on all their models. For an additional $2K or so (depending on model) that can be extended to a factory bumper to bumper warranty. A good deal if you tend to keep cars for a long time. Whine alot and you can even get a road hazard warranty thrown in.
John
On 9/28/2015 7:08 PM, John wrote:

mile warranty, possibly with deductibles I've not had a car in the past 25 years that cost me more than a couple of hundred for repairs in that time. I'd have pissed away a lot of money.

sell a Kia ----- There are few cars that I wouldn't call GOOD - so I guess there ARE some "bad" cars. Still better than "good" cars 30 years ago,
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

KIA(Hyundai owns KIA by the way) At start up Hyundai's technical mentor was Mitsubishi. Wife drove Mitsubishi, Eagle Summit once. She collected most speeding ticket driving this little 2.4 L, AWD model, LOL!

made a much better vehicle out of it (athough they made some pretty crappy cars in the process-including the Pony) You'd be hard pressed to GIVE me a Mitsu. My daughter bought an Elantra GT. Nice car. A lot less money than my second daughter's Honda Civic too.
ssove Mitsubishi, Eagle Summit once. She collected

line. No major problem but little things keep popping up endlessly from day 1. She is single, HS teacher. No one to take care of her car problem(s). Her dad, my BIL is mechanical illiterate. He is known for buying always loser in car purchases. Asks me often questions, then go out buy something I did not recommend. Chevy Lumina Van, Dodge Royal with electrical problem no one could fix, etc. Now his wife, my wife's sister has to go out with me to buy their car they are now driving. Nissan Rogue 2WD. I'd like the car better with V6 or turbo engine. Reliable car. So far no trouble other than routine maintenance. Another funny thing with my BIL is he is AFRAID of towing anything. When I was pulling 30ft fiver, came out with us for camping sleeping in tent. Cousins were sleeping in the trailer. He wouldn't even buy a tent trailer which he could use rear view mirror. When I let him try class C motor home, he literally freaked out. No rear view mirror but side view ones only, LOL! He was KiWi in the air force. Damn good HVAC engineer. Very nice guy but he can't even replace a wall switch when it goes bad. Afraid of height. Without knowing it first time, I ask his help with my antenna tower. He absolutely refused to go on the roof of the house.
On 09/29/2015 06:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

On our honeymoon in Quebec City I rented a first generation Dodge Colt, which was a rebadged Mitsubichi, figuring a compact would be a little better for navigating the city than the Continental. I'd driven up in the Conti, cruising at 100 mph while my bride snoozed. With the Colt, every time I got up past 25 she started having a panic attack.
In that thing a jaunt up to Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupre was a real adventure.

could not drive that car 15 miles without my legs going to sleep - the seats were that terrible. My brother had a 1973 Cricket - the one year they were re-badged Colts, not sunbeams - and his seats were fine. Both cracked heads and had other problems that were deal-killers. Never touched another one.
The 1972 Renault, and my '67 Peugeot 204 were both better cars (definitely better rides) .
On 09/29/2015 09:32 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My brother had a Peugeot that he really liked that would have been about the same vintage. He put a lot of high speed miles on it driving out to his job in the desert.
He had been a Marine in the South Pacific and it wasn't until some time in the '90s that he would buy a Japanese car, a Tercel to tow behind the motor home. After that he bought a couple of the larger Toyota sedans. Camrys? I never could keep the models straight even though I drive a Yaris.

I had a Mitsu Dodge Ram p/u (small) head cracked. I liked it, had fun driving it. No fun fixing it. Gone...
--
Tekkie

On 9/29/2015 7:01 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Why are you sorry?
I used to laugh at people buying the original Hyundai Excels. the little boxes that the paint wore off of. Then they changed. I bought a US built Sonata Limited in 2007, 2010, 2013. I liked each one more than the last. Just bought a Korea built 2015 Genesis. Amazing car with all the options. Amazing quality too. Total of 220,000 miles and only one warranty repair. Far better record than GM cars I've owned.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I kinda obliged to try at least one Korean brand but old memory is too strong to forget. I know Sonata is very nice car. It is up there in it's class. Friend in L/A had a Genesis. Ended up going back to Lexus. His wife drives Acura TL.
On 09/29/2015 10:30 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I think they've improved. Years ago I looked at a Chevy Aveo, which was a Daewoo. It was pretty sad; slow, noisy, and very poor fuel economy considering its underpowered engine.