Oak Floor Repair

My wife and I just purchased a home with Oak floors throughout...previously this home was a rental property and there was carpet all over the place...we tore up the carpet and to our surprise the floor upstatirs and in the dining room was in great shape...that sensational feeling was reduced when we saw the floor in the living room...OH MY GOD!!! Obviously these folks had several dogs or very weak bladders...so now my dilema is this...I need to know of the most effective way to get rid of those stains from the floors.
Thanks
Marty
Lost in Repairs!!! wrote:

Oak is high in tannins and they react with acids to form a black stain. Suggest prior to commiting to sanding check pet stores for suggestions or look for wood bleach containing Oxalic Acid which reversed black stains in oak caused by acids. Probably Oxalic Acid will work better with surface finish sanded off over stain.
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:34:54 +0000, Nospambob1 wrote: White oak is very high in tanins. urine stains are not removeable .

Nospambob is correct, the tannins react to the iron in the water whether it comes through a planter or a pet. This is exactly the advice I got here a few years ago when I had the same stains. Wood bleach will work, but dont expect a miracle, be patient and multuple applications will probably be required.

A concentrated solution of oxalic acid will remove the stains. It is sometimes called "wood bleach". Make sure you read what the ingredients are since a two pack caustic and peroxide product is also called wood bleach.
Good Luck!

Never going to get the grey urine stains out 24 years in the buisness I know you need to change the planks! ken http://allhardwoodfloor.com A concentrated solution of oxalic acidwill remove the stains. It