Repair Oak Hardwood Floor

I have a hole in HW floor in a walk-in closet where the cable guy, skilled craftsman that he is, drilled through the floor to run cable. Even though it is in a closet It bothers me enough to want to take the time to fix it.

I was thinking of cutting a 2" by 2" piece of oak on the miter saw, laying it over the damaged area, tracing around with a knife, and then chisel it out. But the only oak I can buy is about 3/4" thick which seems a little thick, and I would imagine my HW floor is about that thick. It seems like a thinner patch would be easier. I don't know how I could thin the piece down.

I would appreciate any tips on the best way to repair this..

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

It would be best if you matched the thickness of the flooring. It would also be best if you tapered the hole and the plug so the piece fit slightly proud then sand it down after the glue has set.

What kind of finish on the floor?

JJ

Buck Turgids>

Reply to
Jeremy

Thanks. Doing it proud of the currrent floor sounds good. I am getting ready to refinish them anyway, so the whole floor will need a general sanding.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

If you have a router you might go so far as to make a simple pattern and "inlay" a piece about 1/2" thick that extends beyond the hole 1/2" or so.. I believe this is done by some floor repair guys..

Reply to
Terry King