O.T. The sick gun culture.

Page 3 of 7

The point is the gun(s) wre useless in defense. Which is what any one with half a brain can deduce. Oh there was the idiot above who explained how he "nearly shot a dog". Does that count?
================= Tell me in great detail why you believe it was improper for me to draw a gun in order to keep two badly behaved dogs from getting any closer than they already were to my son, who happened to be doing absolutely nothing which should cause dogs to go into "corner the target" mode.
There was zero risk to bystanders, since there were none. The setup was perfect.
I await your humorous explanation. Please try to minimize the spittle.

It is the irony of it all. We have six people murdered by a loon with a gun. And your justification for owning one, proving that it's necessary is you nearly shot a dog (or two). ================ I will do absolutely anything to protect my kid. That includes using my teeth to rip out another person's trachea, and eating it, hopefully while the offender's children are watching in horror. It is absolutely normal to protect one's young using any means available, and anyone who disagrees with this is seriously maladjusted.
You will attempt to prove me wrong. You will fail.
================ Ever thought the owner might then have shot you? Dog owners are slightly mad.
================Of course. His attempt would've failed.
================ I used to work for the local power company and was often confronted with dogs of various temperaments.(Hundreds of times) I could always handle the situation. I never felt the need to own a gun. Just to understand canine behaviour.
========= I deal in absolutes. I was prepared to deal with those dogs in the exact same way the police deal with them when they're called to deal with a vicious dog which has just bitten someone. They make a decision very quickly. If the animal cleanup officer(s) can't get there quickly enough, they shoot the dog.
I can say with absolute certainty that if you had been in my situation, you would NOT have been able to deal with these dogs by understanding their behavior.
By the way, you pretended not to notice an issue I mentioned earlier. When I educated the dog owner about what was about to happen, he was able to make his dogs retreat by yelling a one word command. The police found this very interesting. Can you explain WHY the police found this interesting? It caused the police to take the guy's dogs away.
On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 12:20:41 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Little harry is just jealous. His parents failed to protect him and what you see is the result.
<snip>
harry wrote:

Ah, but understanding canine behavior is a one-off skill. Competence with a firearm is useful in many endeavors.
Understanding why a dog licks his naughty bits ("because he can") is worthless in dealing with a black-clad Ninja crawling across your ceiling.

How would anyone know you were carrying in those circumstances? Does Arizona *require* open carry?

anyone know what 'defend ourselves' means? we have the highest murder rate in the developed world
how's that defense thingie working out?

You know, when you use a gun to "convince" the no-good-nick to not rob you and rape your daughter?

Yes, that's how defense works. You daughter might thank you, even if your wife might enjoy it.
On Jan 10, 8:04pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Interesting. Probability of being hit by lightning interesting, but interesting. That's my issue with the whole gun thing. I don't care if people own guns any more than I care if people own fireworks or jet planes, but people whip out these astoundingly remote possibilities as justification for owning a gun. I suppose it's akin to telling the wife that you _need_ the new Porsche four door sedan (screaming car, BTW, but kinda ugly) in case you have to rush someone to the hospital at 180 MPH. I mean it could happen, right, honey, so can I get it - for safety's sake....?

Interesting that you would find the rape of your daughter "interesting".

About the same chance as being killed by a stray bullet; far greater than that of drowning.

Bullshit. You're just a big-government lefty loon.

You're a damned liar. You don't care if they own guns, just not for the reasons they own guns. You're a two-faced hypocrite, like all leftists.

You really are that stupid. We all know.
RicodJour wrote:

Do you feel the same way about fire insurance? A house fire is also an astonishingly rare event (at least for those who change the batteries in their smoke detectors).
Point is, one weighs the probability of the occurrence against the magnitude of the harm, coupled with the cost to prevent or recover from that harm.
Owning a gun is cheap compared to the cost of the (admittedly rare) situation that you might need it. $400 vs. my life... let me think.

More air leaking....

"developed world"? cherry-picking,I see. Mexico is developed,and theirs is higher.

according to Gary Kleck,over 2 MILLION DGUs per year.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

anyone think mexico is a developed country?
anyone? bueller? bueller?

so you're saying that crime is deterred SO much that, in the most heavily armed nation on earth we still have to use guns 2M times a year??
golly. doesnt do much for your argument
bpuharic wrote:

Uh, no. We do NOT have the highest "homicide" rate of developed countries. We're (let me count, mumble-mumble, carry the three...), ah, forty-sixth in homicide rates. Admittedly, some of the countries ahead of us are less than fully developed, but the list does include: * Jamaica * Belize * Brazil * Ecuador * Mexico * Costa Rica * Lithuania * Turkey * Agrentina
Which no one could classify as anything but "developed." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

anybody think these are developed countries?
in mexico they have to send in the marines to patrol their cities. does that make them developed?
costa rica's gun homicide rate? half of ourse
argentina? 1/3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
harry wrote:

More jumping to conclusions.
I'm not a Christian, although I'm a big supporter.
My faith doesn't have choir-boys so the possibility has never come up. We do, however, have cantors and the thought has crossed my mind...
In the Catholic tradition, a priest can bless a new home, a shrimp boat, ... or a gun. Nothing wrong with that.
snip
Bub, remember ...... don't cast your pearls before swine ...........
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Or pride before a fall...
You're point is well-taken.

You might be more productive in your statements in the days ahead if you concentrated on if Jared Loughner was able to get the mental health treatment he needed and who was responsible if he didnt. Similar murders have happened in recent years in China using a knife since guns are banned there.

ABout the time the Dems apologize for their website where they had bullseyes on certain districts.