No "NO Vacancy" signs. OH TEE

I haven't seen a "no vacancy" sign at a motel for years. Any ideas why that courtesy fell out practice? The closest I've seen lately was a note on the door of a motel I stayed at one night.
On Sat, 8 Oct 2016 21:35:20 -0500, Dean Hoffman

It is still common in resort areas on smaller mom and pop places.
On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 9:35:24 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I think someone asked this awhile back? Around the upper Midwest they are still very common.
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

t have one of those smart-ass phones so I wouldn't know anyway. ¯\_(?)_/ ¯

They were economical, saved the hourly rate at the no tell...
--
Tekkie