No more auto GPS (as we've come to know it)

There is no way to delete/mark-no-go a segment of the trip and recalculate the route?

Actually, that's been my problem with too many map programs (DeLorme Street Atlas is horrible). They don't add new streets nearly often enough. My street still doesn't exist, though it went in over five years ago. Same deal for the house we're moving to.

Neat. This sounds like a winner. Amazon has it for $120.
On 3/28/2012 12:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I have not explored all the options of the gps but believe that if there is a street or address not on the map, that when you are there you can mark and record the location to get back to it. Someone told me years ago he did this when his son moved to a new house. You should be able to get map coordinates to give out to someone to enter into their gps.
Besides the Nuvi, I have a Garmin Etrex I use for hunting. It was more expensive and maps were not detailed enough so I bought US street maps for another $90 and later found I could go to a site where area contour maps were free. The Etrex can be used in a car but will not talk directions to you and without voice is difficult to use as you don't want to be always looking at it.
When I hunt, I mark where I park and mark where my stand is in the field. I gave an old Etrex without maps to my brother in law and he'll mark where he parked his car.
You can get anything you want in a gps. One son has a built in one in his Mercedes and with blue tooth and voice commands you can just turn it on and tell it where you want to go. The system broke down and was repaired under warranty and the dealer told him that if not for the warranty, it would have cost him $3,000.
Kids are telling me now they can use their cell phones as gps's and with aps can get map and voice directions. Of course the kids are paying $100+ per month for phones with all these bells and whistles. Not for this old man ;)

When the whole subdivision isn't there, it gets dicey. Most map programs show my house out in the middle of a field.

Right. It's gotta have text to speech. That's the biggest problem with the Magellan. It's voice directions sometimes differ from its map directions. The map directions are correct. :-(

Believable. Someone has to pay my salary. ;-) When I finally break down and replace SWMBO's car, I'll get the factory GPS feature.

We're spending just under $150/mo for our two smart-phones. SMS not included. I like it. I have something to do now when standing in the DMV line. ;-)

That's not too bad.

That reminds me of a while back when they first introduced elevators buttons that worked by detecting the heat from someone's fingertip. Worked great until there was a building fire. All the elevators ended up going to the floor that was on fire, reacting to the heat as if someone had pressed the call button. (-:

Yow! I would have thought it would be a $5 or $10 charge. Who knew?

I only use my GPS four times a year!
-- Bobby G.

I use mine every time I'm in a new place, though from now on, I'll likely use it whenever I'm on the road. Last Friday night I was driving back home and there were two complete stops on I85. One was on the GA side of the border - no idea what that was about. The second was about 20mi further on the AL side that had traffic backed up for ten miles, or more. The (phone) GPS pointed out the exact location of the tieup. If I'd been smart I would have gotten off and taken the back road. My wife was about 2mi ahead of me, though, and I decided to hang in.
Bad weekend for I85. Saturday, we drove back to Atlanta and there was a carbeque on our side that had the Northbound lanes stopped for a half hour.
On 3/27/2012 6:20 AM, snipped-for-privacy@123.com wrote:

Fred Flintstone! Is that you?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PPf3aaZmUw

TDD
snipped-for-privacy@123.com wrote:

Luddite.
You're doomed. In but a few years, GPS devices will be so ubiquitous that paper maps will no longer be printed. You'll be left with hideously out-of-date artifacts that encourage you to travel on roads that no longer exist (think Apian Way).
When that happens, I guess you COULD rely on Google Earth to plot your path...
For years, I've harvested the maps out of my phone book. Staple them in a folder, and carry with me. This year, the phone books arrived. I looked for the maps. They had "mall store maps" but none for streets. I'm going to have to make last years maps last a long time.
You're doomed. In but a few years, GPS devices will be so ubiquitous that paper maps will no longer be printed. You'll be left with hideously out-of-date artifacts that encourage you to travel on roads that no longer exist (think Apian Way).
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Phone book?
How quaint.
Sunday, I went to visit a friend, and help with some church paper work. He has a working rotary dial phone. Now, THAT is quaint.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Phone book?
How quaint.
On 3/27/2012 5:28 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Bet he's still paying the telephone company a couple of bucks a month to maintain it ;)

Some places charge more for rotary service, too. It costs them money to keep the dial equipment around.
On 3/27/2012 5:57 PM, Frank wrote:

Back in the late 90's I fixed a garage door opener for a nice lady who lived with her mother. The nice lady was 70 and her mother was 100 years old. They still had their original Western Electric black rotary dial phone that they were renting from BellSouth and I checked the date code on the darn thing and it was 1949. ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:44:02 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I'm surprised it even had a dial. My grandmother still had her "hello, Mabel" model as late as the '60s.
On 3/27/2012 9:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Rotary dial phones are an ancient mystery to the children of today. o_O
TDD
On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:57:30 -0400, Frank

Don't use them much as I have top of the line cell phone.
On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:28:43 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

:-) I've still got a couple that I want to hook up[1] one day when they eventually make it out of storage - IIRC one was built in 1962 and the other one 1947. The older one has no internal bell, but I have an external ringer (a wooden box with a couple of bells on top) which I should be able to make work with it.
[1] possibly with some interface box of tricks to get them talking to the modern system...
cheers
Jules
On 3/28/2012 8:56 AM, Jules Richardson wrote:

Indeed, I didn't think there was anywhere in the US that hadn't replaced pulse w/ tone dialing.
Folks still had old rotaries when we came back and despite the rental that could have had a new one for no additional cost any time, the units were so worn out that had to physically return the dial to the starting position because springs were totally kaput.
We did replace them and cancel the rental and SWBell announced shortly after that pulse was going away (roughly 10-11 yr ago now).
I'm still not into the carry-the-stinkin'-phone-around 24/7 though and never will be. I do carry it when travel or if really have some need, but other than that it lives on the sideboard in the dining room until I want it.
On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 09:10:18 -0500, dpb wrote:

That and these are UK phones (the newer one's a GPO 706, the older one - if I remember right - a GPO 232). They're still designed for strowger exchanges, but I expect that there are a few differences between such exchanges in the US and UK such that something will be needed to translate. I *think* the voice transmission side of it is the same, but actually dialling might need a little help.

Mine's been in the bottom of a box in the office closet since I moved over here in 2007, and I don't really miss it. Every once in a while I'll borrow my wife's cell if I'm going somewhere where I need to contact someone along the way, but other than that I don't feel the need to be always reachable every minute of the day. If people want to contact me they can call the land-line or email, and if I'm out, I'm out... :-)
cheers
Jules
Might work fine. I remember when tone fones came out, they kept the rotary "pulse dialing". Some modern phones have a choice T or P, for tone or pulse dialilng.
Hook em up, try it out. I bet it works without modification.