New newsgroup proposal

Page 1 of 2
A new newsgroup called *alt.hvac.advice* has been proposed. This newsgroup would be for anyone wanting to discuss the operation, installation or repair of a heating, air conditioning, or ventilating system.
It would not mean that you couldn't discuss those topics here, however many professionals don't have the time to scan through all the non-HVAC posts, so they simply don't bother.
The logical newsgroup for this type of discussion is alt.hvac, however (as many of you know) people who try there, get sent here (usually with an obnoxious comment). That newsgroup is dominated by people who are a disgrace to the HVAC profession. They are now trying to discourage the creation of the new newsgroup. Please click on the link to show your support.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.config/browse_frm/thread/ba5fcf5a9134b85d/240357a957372642?hl=en#240357a957372642
said:

Can't alt.hvac discuss both? After all it is a (general) hvac group. Maybe the 'professionals' should go elsewhere if they do not want to discuss lowly, general, public information 'hvac' at alt.hvac?

Is there an PRO hvac froup the home owners are asking questions at? If so... why can't they ask questions at a PRO group?

Either. Or.

Is that what alt.HVAC is? HVAC related areas?? Alt.home.repair is for home repair Q & A also.

There is already an alt.hvac pro-series.moderated
It gets absolutely ZERO traffic.
Which, to me, demonstrates that the self proclaimed "Paul & pals professional pricks" have zero interest in an actual forum for "professionals" and instead like to demonstrate heir ignorance by picking on anyone who asks a question here in alt.hvac.
Why establish another forum for "professionals" when the already existing one is unused?
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
Jim McLaughlin wrote:

*pops popcorn*
--
ah

That is an astoundingly bad reason to create a new newsgroup. The jerks who destroyed the old group can just as easily destroy the new group. How many more groups will you create before you get tired of it?
+++
You certainly have a point. Do you have any suggestions?

There certainly isn't a deluge of HVAC posts here, so why try to chase the few of them away?
Leave it as it is.
jim menning
There are quite a few, but I'm not trying to chase anyone away. They could even cross post if they wanted to.

I don't think that would happen.
alt.hvac WAS started for people in the business. Don't give me a lot of grief about how it's a free and public place. I know that. I also understand where the HVAC guys are coming from. Are some of them *ssholes? Sure! You get that in almost every newsgroup and in "real life".
I think the name of the newsgroup should have incorporated that idea (though alt.peopleintheHVACbusiness would be rither cumbersome). The guys in there are NOT going to bother coming over to another newsgroup and start a bunch of trouble. TRUE: If someone cross-posts that's going to happen. I'm not saying a new newgroup would not get trolls. Agina, that happens in every newsgroup.
Go for it Bob! It's been a long time since I read what the procedure was to start a new one, but it must not be that difficult seeing some of the ones that get added every week.
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

No, but you should be given a lot of grief for not understanding Usenet. Alt.hvac doesn't belong to "people in the business" like some BBS message board. It is a full Usenet group, archived by Google, and it deserves to have on-topic and varied postings, such as those from people asking for advice and opinion.
Furthermore, the people, supposedly in the business, who rant at those asking for advice offer the most incompetent and off-topic content.

You don't have to be a dick about it. Read what I wrote. Alt.hvac was started BY people in the business FOR people in the business. I didn't say they had any right to that group exclusively. I just stated who started the group and why they started it.
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

I know what you wrote. I replied to it. They may have started the group for whatever reason, doesn't mean they have any control over what gets posted. I propose they create alt.circle-jerk.hvac.moderated and have at it.
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

I know what you wrote. I replied to it. They may have started the group for whatever reason, doesn't mean they have any control over what gets posted. I propose they create alt.circle-jerk.hvac.moderated and have at it.

That doesn't surprise me, but what does make me wonder is, Who are the people from alt.hvac who are trying to discousage creation of this new one? Are they the same people as the ranters you refer to? If so, they must be really crackpots. If not, what is their reason?
Also, are there people on alt.hvac who would answer questions? What happens when someone asks one and then ignores (or filters out) the ranters? Do other people answer his questions?
The one's trying to discourage it's creation are the same one's who bitch about homeowners posting questions on alt.hvac. Some people on alt.hvac do answer questions, but there would be many more good professionals if it weren't for the few asshole.

Bob wrote:

No.
There's no other "advice" group. Implicit in any Usenet group is the ability to ask for advice.
Alt.hvac is the proper forum to ask for HVAC advice, or for that matter for anything else.
Do you have any constructive suggestions on getting rid of the assholes? They have an alt.finance.advice, but I didn't see an alt.finance.

Bob wrote:

I agree with you, it is a major pain to have to wade through that nonsense to get to the good postings. I don't killfile,but you could.
Bob wrote:

Send forged cancel message on every one of his posts.
Do to him as he does to others.
44

Yep, and I am going to send rmgroup for every control message boob sends.