Is $100 per hour the going rate for engineers these days?

Hello, this is sort of part 2 of a recent post. I'm that owner/builder who is building a house that employs a lot of commercial techniques. I finally got a formal estimate from an engineer: 90 hrs @ $100 per hour. I thought I was going to save a bunch of money by doing all the labor myself, but now I'm facing a big engineering bill.

I've never employed an engineer before, hence my question. I realize these guys have to wait for clients to come to them, and that he probably doesn't make $100 x 40 x 52 = $208K per year, but still I want to get a good rate.

This is a rural area in NC. I have maybe 3 engineers in the area to choose from --many more in a city about 30 miles away. I will be calling some of those with my story on Monday, but I want to hear from non-engineers as well what they think.

What bothers me too is that the contract is rather open ended as far as what can be billed. Understood --who can predict what the building dept will require down the road. I guess being able to stomach the risk goes with the territory.

--zeb

Reply to
zeb7k

Hi, What kind of (professional?)engineers? Civil? Mechanical? Compared to lawyers 100.00 does not seem to be out of line. In my working days, I charged 250.00/hr. minimum two hours plus T&L. That was in the '90s. I am an EE with digital systems back.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

This is just an opinion. The rate sounds like a fair one for a licensed professional. Provided he is actually and actively working on your project for the time billed.

The open ended nature of the contract would bother me. It would also be a good idea to discuss what constitutes billable time. If he is thinking about your project as he drives home are you billed for the time? Don't laugh I know lawyers who do it this way.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

This guy is a structural engineer.

Reply to
zeb7k

With a lot of lawyers they don't even have to be thinking about you to bill you for their time...

Reply to
George

It doesn't sound out of line to me. I'd make sure I got bill or time statements regularly so you can see how much progress is being made and how much you owe. You don;t want to leave the meter running and get a bill months later for an amount you never expected.

Reply to
trader4

My plumber gets $100/hour. It's dependent on where you live, but the rate is definitely not out of line, regardless.

I think you did. The question is are the numbers of hours a realistic estimate? That's hard to tell without seeing what you gave the guy to work with.

BTW, a good engineer doesn't usually wait for clients to come to them. It's the same as contractors - the good ones have a waiting list.

You will definitely need site supervision from the sound of it. Factor that in before you build in an hour commute for each site visit.

It shouldn't be open ended as far as what can be billed. The only real variable is time.

If you have a complex house, want it done right, and want someone to offer some protection, it's probably not a good place to start squeezing.

RicodJour

I was dead wrong. I re-read the contract and what you said is the case.

Reply to
zeb7k

WHY WOULD ANYONE HIRE A ENGINEER TO BUILD A HOUSE, CONSULT WITH A BUILDER IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE AND SAVE SOME BUCKS OR BETTER YET, BUY LOTS OF BEER AND GET YOUR FRIENDS OVER TO HELP OUT. YOU WON'T EVEN NEED FRIENDS IF THERES BEER THERE. HELL, PULL UP TO A HOUSE PROJECT AND TELL'EM THE BEERS ON YOU TO HELP OUT WITH THE HOUSE. DON'T PAY SOME NUMNUTS WHOSE NEVER HAD A HAMMER IN HIS HANDS TO TELL YOU SOMETHING YOU'RE NOT EVEN CAPABLE OF DOING ANYWAY...GO AHEAD AND HIRE THE DAMN BUILDER DUMMY.

Reply to
bandkwhite

It doesn't sound out of line to me, but maybe you could go to night school and learn structural engineering. You might be able to save some money. Then again, it might be more expensive.

Reply to
Bob

If you read what the OP wants to do, you'd know why he NEEDS an engineer, not just a builder. Builders build, but engineers tell them what is needed so it does not fall down. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It may be out of line. Around here, $150 is more likely.

You got one, IMO.

I know plumbers and service technicians that get $100 an hour. That is very reasonable for an engineer. Don't think all that money is going into his pocket. Lots of costs involved in operating an engineering or any professional business. Out of that $100 comes secretaries, office staff, rent, heat, insurance, etc.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It takes much more than just knowledge of engineering. IIRC you can't seal drawings in this state until you have a degree, X years of work experience in the field, then some other engineer to vouch for you.

Reply to
zeb7k

Hi, If a good builder and he thinks he has to consult with a sutructural enginner or soil engineer, whoever, he will go to them to get the proper guidance to build properly.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Could you explain a little more about "site supervision"? I'm the owner and doing all the labor (except the big pours, etc) and fabrication myself. Do you mean the engineer will have to watch over my shoulder to see that the work is being done right?

Reply to
zeb7k

You sound just a little sarcastic but that's OK. Everyone so far agrees with you that the rate is OK. Again, I've never done this before. I have to be very careful since I'm unemployed and drawing out of a nest egg.

Reply to
zeb7k

Do you have a logical reason for "building a house that employs a lot of commercial techniques"? Is this going to have to meet some kind of L&I code for a home business?

Reply to
Bob

Now THAT'S an intelligent answer!

Reply to
PanHandler

You've got it backwards. You can't get a building permit without sealed drawings. You can't get bids until you have drawings.

There are design/build firms that will do the whole thing for you, but not every builder provides that service, nor wants to.

RicodJour