New HD policy

Page 3 of 3

*I've seen that whenever I use a discount card from them, but never when I pay full price.

Ditto. Been like that for quite a while.
Red wrote:

Interesting because all our local HD store has is motorcycles. :-)
IGot2P wrote:

Groan. ;)

Checked a receipt for a single item from last Saturday the 3rd. Nothing like that on it. Used a credit card.

My guess is that HD's system has automagically flagged Red as a customer who gets a "special" receipt for some reason.
They may not be upset that they have now lost him as a customer.
Red wrote:

From a legal perspective, the crap printed on the receipt has no force.
They offered to sell you something at a specified price. You accepted and paid. The receipt is an "after the sale" condition. Presumably, if you walk out of the store with the merchandise, you've agreed to the modification of the original contract.
To be part of the "contract," they have to announce this policy as a condition of the sale in advance and, absent any direction to the contrary, you are allowed to rely on the customary terms of no-penalty returns.
The most common conditions I've seen are during hurricane season: "No returns on generators!"

That's bad alright. If I have to decide if I reallllly want something, I'll buy fewer things. That's the reason for liberal return policies in the first place, to encourage impulse buying, most of which the person will be happy with and won't return.
Computers have substantially lessened the bookkeeping costs of returns. I don't know what the restocking actually costs them (about the same for a 1 dollar item as for a 100 dollar item I think)
I wonder if this is only on things that tend to get damaged when they are out of the store (probably everything. I'll look), 30, 50 pound paper bags of things seem like they would not last long.
I also returned a big thing for watering a planting for 2 weeks way after summer was over. I got a full refund a year ago, but I knew they woudlnt' sell it again until spring, and they'd have to sort of keep track of it until then. (although that should be pretty easy if they're organized.)
mm wrote:

Sometimes not.
I returned two sets of hinges to Lowes and they gave me back more than I spent!
Seems the price went up during the week I was warehousing their merchandise...

Interesting. AIUI some places' policy, HD's? policey is whatever the receipt says and if no reecipt, the lowest price it has sold for in the last 90? days, or 360? This is supposed to, if anything, work to the disadvantage of someone without a receipt.

Others will follow. Too many customers buy a tool, use it, then return to the store for a full cash refund. I returned a part to HD in exchange for another (of different size) and there was no 10% fee, else I'd be upset too.

Walmart , Target and pretty much all the big chains do this now....Another reason they do it is thieves steal stuff then return it for cash...They steal it at one Walmart and return it to another...Before they started keeping track of returns some were making a living stealing and returning stuff....

With the abusive returns I've seen they obviously have to do something to slow those down. Maybe you got caught up in some return tracking scheme. I have seen completely unusable items presented for return with parts missing. My favorite is the electrical boxes with half of the knock outs missing. No one is going to buy those.
-- Tom Horne

HD takes returns probably easier than any store I've ever dealt with. On commodity items I can see the justification for a re-stocking fee. On special order, I definitely think its justified. On manufactured items HD just goes back to the manufacturer for return adjustments if the item is not re-shelvable.