NEW DECK STAINING

We just had a new deck put on our home about 5 weeks ago..today we went to Home Depot to get some stain for the deck..the salesman told me not to stain the deck (new treated lunber for) at least 6 months..does anyone have any opinion on when a new deck should be treated with waterproffing or stain..Please let me know ASAP..Thanks..john
It usualy comes very wet from the pressure treating and being stacked tight . you just need to dry it down so stain absorbes better. How long depends on your weather, exposure and how wet it came . Consumer Reports rated stain and should cover that question. At least 2 weeks . But in rain and shade with wet wood ?
john246 wrote:

I've always found that the stain/sealer/etc. tells you how long you should wait. Go look at whatever you want to use and read the label.
Larry
John,
The stain that I use, Cabot, recommends 6 mon. before staining new pressure treated wood.
Dave M.
Personnally I think it depends on climate and how much sun deck gets. 6 month is a max in my opinion. On my deck facing south in NC with no trees it was already damaged byt\ then.