Neighbor dog problem

Page 8 of 8

After reading this entire thread, I find it funny that someone people would resort to calling the cops or suing or attempting to kill the dog without ever talking to this person.
Maybe she's a bit dense and doesn't realize that not everybody is awake at 6:30 in the morning, and a kind word to her would do the trick. In fact, I think I would give her a couple of chances depending on her tone.
Something to the tune of "I was wondering if you could help me out. Due to my schedule, I have to go to bed late and I wake up at 7:30am, and much of the time your dog is outside barking and waking me up an hour before that. I'd appreciate it if you could keep him inside until a more reasonable hour, so I can get my much needed sleep?"
Hopefully she's apologetic and will take care of her dog. If not, I'd warn her again, being a little more stern. I wouldn't bring the threat of lawsuits or bringing cops into it until absolutely necessary. Remember, you might have to live next to this person for years, and there's no need for additional stress between neighbors unless necessary.

It doesn't matter if everyone is awake or not, it does not give her, or her dog, the right to disturb the peace at any hour. I think that is the point that everyone is trying to make. You can't reason with the dog, you have to reason with the owner. Some owners don't care and the more you complain the more they like it.
Therefore, police/animal control is the only answer. The only thing I don't care for is the fact that many of those organizations are lazy asses who won't do their job until you've complained a dozen times or more.
Yes, I advocate speaking to the owner. . . .ONCE. If that doesn't work, then you have to use the organizations for which your tax dollars pay for.
Toss the dog a rawhide, if that works, then contact the owner and tell her, your dog yaps and this is how to resolve the problem - even give her a few rawhides, then let her buy them herself from that point forward.

Y'know,some people believe that if there are no complaints,then there is no problem.(that others don't mind or don't hear the barking) That's why you (the OP)should talk to her first,and give her a chance to correct the problem.
Wouldn't any of you folks expect the same courtesy?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Larry Bud wrote:

From the original message:
"She doesn't really want a "friendly" relationship with anyone on the street. ... I know someone called the police one morning in February because I saw the cop car in front of her house & the dog was outside barking like crazy."
It appears the cops have been there once and the situation was not corrected. I might also suggest that if any one neighbor was to talk to her and then the cops showed up, she would then likely take it out on the neighbor, even if they did not call.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
You, I like! My kind of approach!
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I'd suggest talking with the dog's owner and explaining that you would like to not hear the dog barking between 10 pm and 7 am (or whatever other reasonable times you choose.) If the owner respects your reasonable request the problem is solved.
Step 2, which will unfortunately occur in my experience, is to talk with your local government to determine if they have an existing ordinance that addresses noise from dogs, or noise as a public nuisance. If they do then proceed accordingly. Where I am the first step is to contact the animal control officer who will make contact with the owner and explain the ordinance to them. If this is disregarded then the next step is for you to sign a formal complaint with the city attorney who will then start the ball rolling to compel the owner by formally citing them and having them answer the complaint in court. You may also have to appear.
If there is no ordinance then you will need to contact an attorney who can advise you on how to proceed. You do have a right to a night's sleep and will get it.
It's a shame that because some people don't care for their dogs that this sort of aggravation is created but they cause it.
Good luck.
RB
KRusso6984 wrote:

OK, how about...
(Anomoyously) adopt that viscious Pit Bull they're about to put down at the local shelter, and toss it over her fence.
You'll only hear a couple more yaps.
Then, return aforementioned Pit Bull and tell them it wasn't for you. Oh, and it already had breakfast.
Thank you so much for your helpful advice. I really do appreciate it.