Neighbor problem - dog mess

My neighbor is letting his dog use my front yard as his personal toilet. He leaves his bombs there all the time. Even IF he picked them up afterwards, I don't think I like the idea of him walking his dog across my front yard. What's wrong with his yard?

Any tactful ways of dealing with this, obviously, rude person? I'm thinking of collecting a week's worth of bombs and then knocking on his door and handing them to him and say something like "Here - you left these in my yard".

Reply to
Richard

Perhaps you could save us all the trouble of having this discussion yet again by reading the many previous instances of this same discussion in the archive at groups.google.com.

Incidentally, the fact that you ask if you should deal with this by handing your neighbor a pile of dog shit tells us a lot about which of you is the "rude person".

Reply to
Jonathan Kamens

I had the same problem as you had. A neighbor next to my neighbor on the right side of my house had a dog that always crapped in my front yard. What I did one night was --- I took 3 piles of the crap and dumped it right in the middle of his driveway. CASE SOLVED!

Reply to
Dave

Didn't you say tactful? I'd try talking to him first.

Greg M

Reply to
Greg M

No, rude people don't understand tact. Use Dave's method of returning hte goods to the owner. Fling it with a shovel and let him see you do it. Worked for me with a neighbor.

In most cases, that is all that is needed. If he is very persistent, there are probably leash laws in the town and you can involve the police.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The dog is crapping in your yard because it knows it is not his owners yard, it is keeping his home clean. My dog goes on my neighbors yard and my neighbors dog goes in mine . Since you do not have a dog you should be agravated, talk to your neighbor. It will be hard to break the dog of this habit, but hopefully easy to get the neighbor to understand and clean it up daily. if you see the dog doing it yell at it

Reply to
m Ransley

Agreed. Even if you ask nicely, the *rude* neighbor will probably still have a hard-on for you from then on anyways and still let his dog crap in your yard.

Reply to
G Henslee

It may not help, but talking to the neighbor can't hurt and might be a much better solution. You would be foolish to do something antagonistic without first talking.

Evidently you have never owned a dog. They relieve themselves on walks and thats all there is to it. Sure, a decent person cleans up after their dog, but is hardly a matter of trespassing.

I had exactly the opposite problem. An old woman would scream at me every time I walked by her house; I have no idea why, since my dog had never visited her yard. I tried talking to her, but she was crazy. A neighbor solved the problem by leaving a large pile on a rock by her driveway. (no, it wasn't me, really) So I guess the pile trick does help people regain their reason, but should not be a first choice.

Reply to
toller

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (toller) wrote in news:M4Xte.1323$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

While the original poster didn't say, in most cities it's not legal to let your dog run free, even if it doesn't crap in the neighbor's yard. And, in most cities, the dog's owner is legally responsible for cleaning up after it, regardless of the circumstance.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Check your city code, and then call in a violation if the code says he must pick up doggie-doo. Code violation here. Lots of dogs, and dog walkers pick up and put in nearest dumpster.

Reply to
Norminn

I made the assumption, which might not be correct, that it was happening when the neighbor walked their dog. If they are letting it run free and there is a leash law, then that changes everything. But my answer is still correct; it makes sense to talk first.

Reply to
toller

Step one: talk to him and ask if he would please not let his dog defecate on your property.

Step two if this doesn't work: toss the crap onto his driveway.

Step three if this doesn't work: call the police and/or health department and ask if there are any laws being violated.

Step four: when the dog comes in the yard, call the police and say the dog snarled at you. Tell the responding officer that you have asked this neighbor repeatedly to keep the dog off your property, but the neighbor has refused to do so.

Each step is a little more direct, and will determine what kind of neighbor this really is and if their friendship is worth keeping.

I got to step two with my neighbor. After two times of returning some bombs to their welcome mat, the problem mysteriously and quickly ended. That has been about a year now.

If it is a good neighbor, you won't have to go past step one.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Evidently, you are a liberal.

Any dog owner that allows their animal to relieve themselves at will and not clean up after it is simply irresponsible. Sure, I know that it is the nature of wild animals. I also know that it is important not to have the animal feel badly about itself, or to cause any problems that might result in counselling. Or to appear germophobic, or scataphobic.

And your views on the rights of the public on private property shows liberalism, too. You might read up on trespassing laws in your community.

I doubt you will, as you appear to think the typical liberal bent.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

yeah, put it all in a bag and go over and give it to him. that would be hilarious....i guess im lucky ,ive never had a neighbor i couldnt talk to and reason with..... lucas

Reply to
ds549

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (toller) wrote in news:ptXte.1602$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Then it's even worse.

Again, most cities have laws requiring dog owners to clean up after their dogs, but common courtesy would dictate that regardless.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

You don't know the definition of trespassing then...

Walking BY a yard and walking IN a yard are two different things.

Reply to
Mark

Step 2 1/2:

Leave the crap where it is. Take a bottle of BBQ Sauce and generously pour it over the turds. Watch your neighbors face, as his dog eats own crap. Problem will be solved permanently

Reply to
igarber

let me tell you about the trespassing laws in my boro: if you don't post with no trespassing signs, it isn't trespassing.

Reply to
AllEmailDeletedImmediately

in this day and age, with xxxxxx rage, etc, i'd go directly to step 3 and, assuming it's against the law, i'd turn him in anonymously.

Reply to
AllEmailDeletedImmediately

are you sure it's his dog? you've seen the dog doing it? i ask because i've been blamed (with a poopie packet on my doorstep) for something my dog didn't do. it was assumed, by the size of the poopie, that it was my dog (acutally, it was a little small for my dog (150lbs); more like a 100lb size). however, if you're not up that early you don't know just how many

100lb+ dogs are walked in my neighborhood.

if you saw the dog do it, and it's illegal, turn him in anonymously.