Fill grains of Oak

What can I use to fill the open grains of oak? I'm planning to re-paint them. I've heard of some chemicals that would fill the cracks of antique furniture. Anybody know what that is? And, if I can use that to fill the grains of oak.

Reply to
wendi

Wood filler. Find it in the paint department.

Reply to
NorMinn

durabond 3

Reply to
m Ransley

Hm... I thought fillers are meant for spot treat only. Filling in the entire piece of wood doesn't sound right to me. Plus the sanding is going to be hell afterwards. I thought there're some kind of primer/sealer/conditioner that also act as a grain filler.

Reply to
wendi

Do you have a reference? This is what I found

Doesn't seem relevant.

Reply to
wendi

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (wendi) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Wood filler comes in a can that is a paste like cake icing. you rub it on, then when it hazes over, you rub it off. Yes, you will have to do some sanding afterwards. Read the instructions on the can.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Solly

You want grain filler, not wood filler. They are two different things. Grain filler is a bit tricky to use so you may want to try it on scrap first. If you're planing on repainting, you might consider using plaster of paris, believe it or not. It sand very well and will fill the grain very nicely. Apply it with a pad dampened with 1/1 (v/v) alcohol/ water.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron