another neighbor problem (redux)

Some of you may remember this thread from a few months ago. If not here is the link to the original thread.

Not much has changed between us other than he has put up a fence between us only and not on the other side of his property. There is still a permit from the city attached to his garage showing he hasn't had it inspected by the city. The fence is made of sectional pieces and looks like crap since there is no smooth topline across the top. It looks like he did his best to make it somewhat level but since the ground isn't level there are gaps at the bottom and jagged edge at the top.

I am sure he is not finished since the nails he used to hold the fence up are not driven all the way flush with the wood. The problem is the nailheads stick out 1/2 inch towards my yard and are a hazard as far as I'm concerned. I have children that play in the yard and one of them is a three-year-old. So far no one has been hurt by these nailheads but I think they are dangerous.

Since this neighbor hates my guts and won't talk to me what do you suggest I do about this potential hazard?

Reply to
badgolferman

Is this fence on his claim or your purchased property line, what is your states minimum time for an adverse possession claim, how long has he lived there, you may have lost the land already unless you know all the facts.

Reply to
m Ransley

He gets to do what he wants on his property. If you don't like his fence build your own on your property.

Reply to
Pat

Move, plant bushes to keep your kids away from the border, build your own fence, see a psychotherapist. Choose any two.

Reply to
Goedjn

Two pieces of advice:

  1. You can't control other people. Banty's Life Fact of Life #1: Other people are not required to act in your interests.

So, do what you *can* control, which is on the line of bushes, your own fence, etc.

  1. You can make a shorter link:

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I would do one of these things (probably the second) -- (1) Call the city and see if there any codes for fences. If so, ask to have it inspected for danger to your children -- but be prepared for still more unpleasantness since you say your neighbor already hates you. (2) Build your own fence back-to-back to his fence. Make sure it is on your own property, and have the "nice" side facing you. Incidentally, I had a cedar fence (all four sides) installed in my backyard, and my yard also has a number of uneven areas. In addition, there is a considerable slope. However, the fence looks nice and is completely straight across the top. The man who built is strung a line of cord at the height he wanted, then cut any boards that would be too high (cutting the bottom edge). He also placed a sort of "kick plate" along the bottom edge to hide any "rough" areas.

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

Depends. Is the fence flammable?

Reply to
HeyBub

Take a hammer and bang them in flush.

I'd probably call the building inspector to see if he can have it rectified. Either the idiot is unaware they are sticking out, or the SOB wants to cause you harm and is having a good laugh about it. No matter what you do, it will piss him off.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"badgolferman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.readfreenews.net:

Don't permits expire? If so, there's a tomato you can toss. Of course, one or more always comes back. Nobody "wins".

So, are the Hatfield or McCoy? :-)

Reply to
Al Bundy

neighbors.

Really. I've never heard that, though I have heard of good neighbor fences where the boards, etc. are facing one way and then another on each alternate plank.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

For instance, the city of Milwaukee (600,000 pop) requires the "good" side to face out.

Reply to
JJ

Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

"Cheri" wrote in news:3Yydnct1d- gRVmDZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@inreach.com:

Same here. The good side has to face the neighbor. The fence has to be 2 to 4 inches inside the property line of whoever puts up the fence.

Reply to
Lisa BB.

Even one directly facing an existing fence?

This might be one for a property lawyer.

If it were me, I'd plant bushes and be done with the fence/property issues.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Same where I live, and fences require building permits.

Reply to
Norminn

Well, if there are codes that require the good side of the fence to face the neighbors (ours does not), then I guess that is something else to check. However, it would be irrelevant in this case because the "other side" of the fence would simply be facing another fence (back-to-back).

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

The trouble with planting bushes is that the OP described a concern that his children (including a 3-year-old) could be injured on the nails that protrude on "their" side of the fence. It takes a considerable amount of time for bushes to grow to the height and "shrubbiness" to keep children completely away from a fence. It can also be just as costly to buy shrubs of the type needed for camouflage as it would cost to build a fence to line up with the existing fence.

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

It would depend on the circumstances whether it is irrelevant or not. Where I am located, it would still be required to be installed good side out. The logic is that if the original fence is ever taken down, the remaining fence, still has the good side out. Here, a permit and inspection is required to build a fence and there are strict height restrictions also. Did you need a permit to put up your fence, Mary?

Reply to
JJ

Reply to
Goedjn