neighbor problems??

A national news magazine program is looking for a few good examples of neighbor problems. Is there someone on your block that just makes you crazy? Send us your details. If your case is chosen for our broadcast report, we will try to help find a solution for you and your neighbor. contact us at: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Bad Fences

You expect us to believe that Dateline NBC get's it's e-mail service through Yahoo???

Reply to
Warren

That is EXACTLY what I thought when I read the post.

Reply to
Bill R

I checked Dateline's website

where I found this:

. Neighbor problems We're looking for a few good examples of neighbor problems. Is there someone on your block that just makes you crazy? Send us your details. If your case is chosen for our broadcast report, we will try to help find a solution for you and your neighbor.

And YES, the address you link to is this yahoo account.

Boy, do I have a neighbor problem....

Karen

Reply to
Anonny Moose

Me too, but I don't think they have a cure for "redneck"

Reply to
Vox Humana

I'm probably the problem neighbor that everyone else is complaining about. I don't *do* lawns and golfball junipers and hedges like everyone else does and I keep getting nasty notes from the city, but so far no citations.

Reply to
Sunflower

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Nor "A**hole". hehehehe

Reply to
Anonny Moose

What do you do instead? Xeriscape? Weeds?

Dimitri

Reply to
D. Gerasimatos

"D. Gerasimatos" wrote in message news:cc1jgh$2c7o$ snipped-for-privacy@agate.berkeley.edu...

I killed all the grass (except in the flowerbeds, darn it) and planted ground covers and mixed shrub borders of mostly roses with a nice sized patch of wildflowers that I DO keep weeded. It's just more informal than formal. I have an old wooden ladder painted blue that I have a climbing rose growing on, and several ramblers scrambling through trees and lots of sweet william, coreopsis, verbena and other self seeded "raggedy" plants intermixed through the whole thing. I do mow the strip of groundcover out by the road, because even though the maximun height of it was about 8", that was still too tall to make the city happy, even though they have no ordinance that states how high "grass" can be. It's a certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat by the National Wildlife Federation, which doesn't mean that much, but since I was certified and posted the sign, there haven't been any more complaints. Yet. I'm just waiting on the city guy to come by again and tell me my "weeds" are too high. Last time, I asked him which plants he was talking about, the vinca minor, or the coreopsis tinctoria, or the coreopsis lancelota, or maybe the verbena tenuisecta, or perhaps the trifolium repens, or maybe the rudbeckia hirta, or perhaps the verbena bonariensis. Then I asked him to define exactly what a "weed" was and why he viewed my flowers as weeds. Haven't seen that guy since, but I've seen the city truck drive by slowly a time or two. I guess they figure it's not worth it to try to to take it any further.

Reply to
Sunflower

We have a couple of people like that, too. Shortly after moving in there was big storm and several very large trees were heavily damaged. We had a tree company come out and remove them. One of our neighbors had a small boy who insisted on being too close to the action. The tree people asked us to move him back. They were cutting huge limbs and lowering them to the ground with ropes. The kid wouldn't stay back so we went to his house and asked his mother to come get him. We didn't need the liability. For the last eight years, she has made it her mission to tell everyone that we don't like kids and are mean bastards. She is friends with the redneck cop. Her clique of Stepford wives denies our very existence, turning away when we pass. When they have gardening questions or need a pant disease diagnosed, they have no problem sending the husband down for advice. The last time I suggested that they could get good advise on the Internet or at the county extension office. The next time I'm going to ask hubby if he will get in hot water for talking to us.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I will go so far as to say that you don't seem to be a problem neighbor at all. What part of the country are you in?

Dimitri

Reply to
D. Gerasimatos

Invite him in and seduce him! ;-)

John

Reply to
John Watson

Yup, very similar. Our lovely neighbors turned the folks on the other side of them against us, since we were the new folks on the block, and they were all giving us the cold shoulder. But I think they've finally caught on. The Mrs actually waved when I was walking by recently! But as for the other, I think the point-of-no-return was crossed at some point and their pride won't allow them to get back over it. And at this point we don't want anything to do with them anyway, so a nice barrier of trees and shrubs has been going up both sides of the fence.

Reply to
Anonny Moose

No thanks. There are NOT attractive people. The ring leader of the Stepford wives looks like she cuts her own hair using a cereal bowl as a guide. Husband is a good match of her. That aside, I have a great relationship that has endured for over 23 years and have no need to seduce the neighbors.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Fences and shrub rows make good neighbors. I think you are right about saving face. There are neighbors who we have never spoken to personally who give us the cold shoulder. They would have to admit to their stupidity if they reversed their position. When we moved here nearly everyone was friendly and courteous. Now a few people have poisoned the atmosphere. People come and go so frequently that I hope we can outlast the bad ones. One thing that I have noticed is that there are more and more single parent homes. The parents seem to never be home and the kids have little supervision. There are teens that give you that cold, hard stare with a look that says they would just as soon kill you as smile. There is no respect for rules or boundaries. Kids have everything but their parent's attention.

We have one family that has been exceptionally friendly. They are fundamentalist Christians who have named all their kids after biblical characters. They do the home schooling thing. They have always been friendly and send down plates of food when they have family gatherings. Our elderly neighbors are also quite friendly.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Thanks, but I think a few folks on the street would differ with you. ;~( I'm in the South, in MS and surviving it the best I can. The acres of heavily fertilized and chemcalized bermuda and boring holly and junipers with the 2.1 crepe myrtles and limbed up magnolia grandifloras can get to be hypnotic. One neighbor did plant a weeping cherry surrounded by annuals--in the lowest spot in the yard with hideous drainage--in Southern clay that any potter would kill for. It's already showing distress.

But, this is an older subdivision, and full of cantankerous folks who've been here since it was put in in the 70's and who don't like "different". Across the busy road at the end of the street is a new subdivision straight out of the cotton field, and many of the younger homeowners there prefer to walk ours because of the mature trees and less cookie cutter home styles. From some of these people, I've actually gotten *compliments* on how the yard works. One of these days, I'll do a "before and after" series of pics for a webpage. Still too many projects left to complete to be the "after" though.

Reply to
Sunflower

They don't. I live on a corner lot, the main street contains larger fairly well kept older homes and the side street has some older places that need a good going over. The house next to us was a rental for a while, we talked to them just to make sure we had good neighbors (most of them introduced themselves to us when they moved it). The folks across the street are heavily involved in the church down the street and haven't said anything to us when they realized we weren't going to attend their church. The other folks across the street didn't say much to us until we had a neighborhood noise problem and needed additional signatures to get the problem resolved.

On the side street are some older folks who mind their own business but will stop and yack your ear off if you let them. Really nice people, we look out for them. One couple lives in her grandmother's house...they're nice but a bit snotty. They're now trying to sue us for a piece of land they say her grandmother planted flowers on YEARS ago (which i mow or weedeat regularly). Across from them is the redneck...I hate to call the guy that because it's an insult to rednecks. :) 900sq foot home with 6 people living in it. 5 running vehicles and 3 in various states of disrepair. He had 3 more until the city made him clean them up. Nasty, which is why I have a large bamboo "fence line" running in the back so I don't have to see it. I've tried to talk to him, all he can talk about is how bad the city is for making him mow his lawn and keep it semi neat.

The best neighbors I had was were I grew up in Virginia. 7 homes in a row surrounded by woods or farmed fields. No fences, no boundaries. We'd play footback in the backyards of 4 homes, no one cared. We asked for permission which shocked them. If someone was sick the others would stop by with a meal or something. Lots of mutual respect, we looked at our actions from what other's might think. When Dad planted blueberries in the back he planted 2 dozen bushes. I asked why, he said so everyone could enjoy them. It's still like that there too, since 1975 only one person moved away. Pretty cool if you ask me. :)

Reply to
rickm