For HVAC Folks: Forced Gas Hot Air Residetial Heating Furnace Ratings ?

Hello:

Will be looking to replace a 30 yr old gas, forced hot air heating furnace in a residence.

Read Consumers Research, and they "rate" American Standard as best, with Rheem next.

Am always a bit leery with CR's ratings, as they seldom really go into the methodology they use.

Anyway, there is such good advice on this forum, thought I'd ask here.

Is it the general consensous of you folks that American Standard (and then Rheem) really are the two top brands to consider for gas, forced hot air furnaces ?

Why ?

Any to "absolutely" avoid ?

Might as well also ask: same manufacturer rating order for the split type of A/C where the condenser is placed outside the house ?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Robert11

In the case of repair frequency, they take their numbers from the annual survey of their subscribers.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

The manufacture is not the most important part. The installer is.

Check out the seer and heat ratings for all of the units your going to consider. Narrow it down to 4-5 models and then seek contractors. Make sure that they do calculations. Not just "you got a 2 ton so we will replace it with a 2 ton." Have them inspect your duct work and see if there are any challenges that need to be corrected.

Check the guarantees and do not forget to call your utilities. They might have rebates if you buy a certain level of equipment.

Personally when I change units again I will make damn sure that I get a scroll compressor.

Reply to
SQLit

First you need to read the actual magazine story, not the annual report. The magazine version usually gives good information about the methodology. As someone noted the frequency of repair information comes from annual surveys that they send out to their subscribers and maybe some others.

This is one area where I may question the results you get from CR. I am generally a fan of their results, but in the case of this type of equipment the installation is a very large part of the results you get. Poor job and the best unit will not do well.

In this case you start by finding the professional who is going to do the install. Then let them pick, with your input, the product for you. They are going to pick something that is good and fits your needs.

Start off by asking your friends, family, neighbors and co-workers for names and recommendations. Go from there. Get a couple of estimates.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hi,

Thanks for all the good advice.

Let me show my ignorance: "Personally when I change units again I will make damn sure that I get a scroll compressor."

What's a scroll compressor ? Why is it better ? More expensive ?

Found on what mfg's units, etc. ?

Thanks again, Bob

--------------------

Reply to
Robert11

Goodman's got it. BTW, I'm afraid that those statistics for Goodman equipment must include the discontinued Janitrol line. It was the low-end junk line. Goodman also owns Amana now and I would bet that most of the repairs necessary on the Goodman equipment was for the hot surface ignitor. And that they failed while still under warranty. Goodman is now trying to have a bracket made so that these ignitors may be replaced with the same ignitors they use on the Amana line. I hate to see so many folks trash Goodman. I personally think it is the best bang for your buck. And in NJ there's quite a few A+ dealers to service the warranty.

Reply to
Kathy

The entire brand is Junk.

And now that's what happening to Amana. Goodman bought Amana to try to get some better press. They found out they could save about $2-3 dollars on a different inducer and did it. They didn't even bother to check reliability. The inducers started crapping out almost right away and they are giving replacements out to contractors left and right.

They have a poor track record.

I service that line if a customer has one, but I collect for the labor AND fixing the stuff the 'installer' didn't do correctly or to code.

Reply to
HeatMan

Read this:

The things are almost bullet-proof. The have less moving parts, can take liquid slugs (of refrigerant) a lot better than the older recips could, and are quieter.

I don't think so.

All of the Rheem line, higher SEER Trane and York to name a few.

Reply to
HeatMan

And I'm sure you know that they are in the Goodman brand now too.

Reply to
Kathy

Not only that, but Goodman will warrant it for "life" on the 13 SEER units and above. (Original owner only)

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Yesterday I found out that Goodman's extended warrantys are _transferable_.

Reply to
Kathy

Last I heard, they were only in the higher efficiency line, not the 10 SEER stuff.

Reply to
HeatMan

_transferable_.

Got a link to that bit of news?

Reply to
HeatMan

No matter what the brand, why would you want to use 10 seer equipment unless you are desperate? or uninformed.

Reply to
Kathy

No link. I was told that by the folks in TX at warranty administration. They told me to just enclose a letter with the warranty form stating who the new owner of the house is and they'll update thier records. I was surprised myself. I'll let you know how it goes if you want.

Reply to
Kathy

A scroll compressor is used on some AC units, in the outdoor "condensing unit". I'm not sure why they are more expensive. Hwoever, they are more energy efficient. And more dependable. Less likely to break. Quieter.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Comfort- 10 seer removes more moisture. Price- 10 seer costs less. Size- 10 seer is smaller equipment Electronic's- Doesn't require DC/ECM motors.

Reply to
bill

I don't use it. I sell and install the equipment. When I bid someone a 12 SEER unit and they say it's too much, I tell them the price on a 10 SEER unit. I also tell them the 12 SEER stuff will cost less to operate.

Reply to
HeatMan

Prove it... Maybe because it 'runs longer?'

True.

I can get 10 SEER evaps that are the same size. The condensers are bigger, though

The 12 SEER stuff I sell doesn't either. You can get VS equipment that is ECM.

Reply to
HeatMan

Talk is cheap. Show it to me in writing.

Reply to
HeatMan