Gas Furnace vs. Forced Air

After having gas furnace heat for five years I have notice my new house (forced air) runs much more often. Is this normal? BTW my new house is only 1.5 years old.

TIA.

Reply to
Scall5

A furnace is forced air, a boiler is hot water or steam, so I guess you mean you had hot water before, well yes radiators hold water, heat. Your thermostat may be set for to close a heat spread-differential, it may also be oversized or undersized if it cycles to often or runs to long. You may lack insulation and have a poorly sealed house, Hard to say you don't give cycles or run time per hour. But in general hot water heat should run longer but with much longer shut off times as radiators dissipate stored heat.

Reply to
m Ransley

I am not sure what you mean "gas furnace" as forced air heat with gas as a fuel is a "gas furnace."

Now the question of "more often" If you mean more cycle times per day, then that is a factor of the size of the system and the thermostat. The thermostat determines when heat is called for. Most have some sort of adjustment for this.

All else being equal your system is more efficient if you allow longer on times and therefore wider temperature swings. this however may be less comfortable or may cause you to increase the temperature setting and loose the efficency.

An oversized unit may cycle less often due to its size. Many modern units have adjustable outputs that will result in longer cycles for more comfort and less energy use.

On the other hand, if it is just staying on more total time per day, that may be the result of having a system that is not oversized and that should result in less energy use and more comfort.

In short, chances are, you have nothing to worry about.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan
041114 0929 - Scall5 posted:

It's not new then, is it?

Reply to
indago

Hi Scall5, hope you are having a nice day

On 14-Nov-04 At About 09:29:30, Scall5 wrote to All Subject: Gas Furnace vs. Forced Air

S> From: "Scall5"

S> After having gas furnace heat for five years I have notice my new S> house (forced air) runs much more often. Is this normal? BTW my new S> house is only 1.5 years old.

I think you need to verify this. a gas furnace is forced air. do you mean you had a boiler before?

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

Hi Joseph, hope you are having a nice day

On 14-Nov-04 At About 10:39:43, Joseph Meehan wrote to All Subject: Re: Gas Furnace vs. Forced Air

JM> From: "Joseph Meehan"

JM> Scall5 wrote: >> After having gas furnace heat for five years I have notice my new >> house (forced air) runs much more often. Is this normal? BTW my new >> house is only 1.5 years old.

JM> I am not sure what you mean "gas furnace" as forced air heat with gas JM> as a fuel is a "gas furnace."

This part is correct.

JM> Now the question of "more often" If you mean more cycle times per JM> day, then that is a factor of the size of the system and the JM> thermostat. The thermostat determines when heat is called for. Most JM> have some sort of adjustment for this.

This part is also correct.

JM> All else being equal your system is more efficient if you allow JM> longer on times and therefore wider temperature swings. this however JM> may be less comfortable or may cause you to increase the temperature JM> setting and loose the efficency.

This is also correct

JM> Many modern JM> units have adjustable outputs that will result in longer cycles JM> for more comfort and less energy use.

here is where you are wrong again. most units do NOT!! have an adjustable output. most come with a fixed btu rating and you cannot adjust them. if however you are talking about multi stage units you should have clarified that.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2