Need indicator light in the mailbox to see if anything is inside

Page 2 of 5

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 05:02:41 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta

You might want to go to this Google search results link. Seems to have the info you desire.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=6&oq=mailbox+in&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4IRFA_enUS270US270&q=mailbox+indicator
Robert DeSavage wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=6&oq=mailbox+in&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4IRFA_enUS270US270&q=mailbox+indicator
I remember several boxes that had a little metal piece on a small chain. You wedged it between the door and the body of the box; when it was opened by the carrier, the piece would fall and hang down (usually 6-12" or so) and could be seen from the house
cya

A bit difficult though with the mailbox inside a stome pillar - - - - -
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 05:02:41 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
[snip]

That is often look inside SEVERAL TIMES a day, since you don't always know the carrier's gone when there's no mail in the box.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

The red flag will only tell you the mail vehicle passed by but would not indicate if the box were empty or not. My mother used a small plastic ornament tied to the mailbox door handle using a 12" string. To close the door take up 8" of string and push it between the latch as you close the mailbox door. The weight falls when the door is opened by the postmaster to complete delivery. I guess you can call it a Gravity Powered Indicator (GPI).
[snip]

Homeowner planted flowers too close to mailbox, and postal carrier allergic to bees.

What about all of those mail boxes that are attached to the wall beside the front door? What about those people that still use a mailslot in their front doors? Give me a break.

Those are clearly a separate issue. The fact is that the specifications for mail boxes are pretty strict. They are not required to deliver to a non-conforming box, whether it be on the house, by the road, or in a common area.

It's not a separate issue.
The OP said; "the postal service may stop delivering mail if your box doesn't have a red flag" and "If the box doesn't have a flag, the box doesn't conform to government regulations"
That is complete bullshit, period.

It *certainly* is.

He was *clearly* talking about a curbside box. He is correct.

The bull shit here is between your ears. Grow up, kid.

Kid? LMFAO!
Provide a link from the USPS that states that you will NOT have your mail delivered to your home unless your mailbox has a "red flag" attached to it, which is what was stated.
Also, there are "curbside" mailboxes right in my own neighbor that are surrounded in brick and mortar with NO red flag. They still get their mail delivered. What about that, Mr Knowitall????

Great thread. I suggest (for the OP) a motion detection camera connected to internet that will send an email when mail is deposited.
As for the flag, this appears to be the regulations page:
http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/508.htm#wp1051804
Oddly, though Flag is mentioned twice, there doesn't appear to be an actual regulation listed here that specifies the flag.
What do I care? I live in a small hovel with a mail slot.
dgk wrote:

LOL, a snail mail to Email alert.
TDD
Here's something called the Mail Minder.
http://www.mahvelousmailboxes.com/mail_alerts/mailMinder_mail_alert.htm

I meant,
http://www.mahvelousmailboxes.com/mail_alerts/mail_alerts.htm
Looking at the site and found this light,
http://www.mahvelousmailboxes.com/accessories/mailbox_lights.htm

I dont have a flag. Box has been replaced 3 times in 20 years for broken flags. I get mine delivered but pickup is a little "iffy". They will only pickup if they have something to deliver. If I have something that has to go out right away I put it in my neighbor's mailbox or take it to work.
Jimmie

Only a prepubescent kid in public school would have a sense of logic as bad as, or read as poorly as do you.

Your logic is awful (no changes here). They aren't *required* to be hard asses, but they can be. Because they don't follow regulations to the letter doesn't mean they can't.

Provide a link from the USPS that states that you will NOT have your mail delivered to your home unless your mailbox has a "red flag" attached to it, which is what was stated.

I see you still insist on flunking elementary logic and remedial reading. You *must* be a prepubescent public school kid.
Hint: It has nothing to do with the flag.