Nail Spinner

Page 1 of 3
Ok, I lost my nail spinner and I am installing wood molding. Nightmare! Lowes doesn't know what I am talking about. Neither does Sutherlands. Not an item for either Grizzley or Harbor Freight. Even Rockler doesn't have one. Any ideas? Can't even find it on Amazon or Ebay or web search.
Mike D.
Mike Dobony wrote:

Excellent excuse to buy a brad nailer.

east side of the big pond?

http://www.vermontamerican.com/Products/ProductDetail.htm?CID=229
But I would be reaching for one of my brad nailers. What is the advantage of one of these?

On further thought, I do remember chucking up a finish nail to pre- drill holes in hardwood trim to ensure fit and no splitting.

Yep. That's what I do if I have just a few tricky nails to drive. Otherwise I'll break out the appropriate nail gun.

I guess we now know why nail spinners when the way of dodo bird cages. :)
btw I pinged Vermont America about nail spinner production, I should have an answer next week.... will report back.
cheers Bob
"DD_BobK" wrote in message wrote:

I guess we now know why nail spinners when the way of dodo bird cages. :)
btw I pinged Vermont America about nail spinner production, I should have an answer next week.... will report back.
cheers Bob
They make them, but I can't find anywhere to actually buy one.

Mike-
You say "they make them"...... are you saying VA makes them?
I searched VA's website & found no reference to them. I'm thinking they don't make them anymore.
cheers Bob

You are correct, Sir! https://store.titantooloutlet.com/inet/storefront/store.php?mode=showproductdetail&product=-1&link_id=-1&link_itemcode=20777
The spinner requires you to use a drill to spin in the nail, stop, and use a hammer to finish driving it. Using a clipped nail requires you to use a drill to make the hole, stop, and use a hammer to finish driving it. Really not a big difference in time or effort unless you are doing a lot of nails, and in that case there are tools that don't require using the drill at all.
Something like the Paslode Trimpulse, or approved equal, is far faster, doesn't split wood, and is useful for many more applications. It's an investment, sure, but it's an _investment_!

Reply from customer service at VA .......................................... Dear Robert,
Thank you for writing. You are correct, our nail spinners are discontinued and are no longer available . I am sorry for any inconvenience.
We value you as a Vermont American tool user & trust that you will use your Vermont American with confidence. If you have further questions please write back. ..........................................
so..... there you go, seems like nail spinners have joined the swing brace and the ratchet screwdriver.
cheers Bob
On 10/3/2011 10:34 PM, DD_BobK wrote:

Hey! I own both of those items! Been looking all over for new side-notch style bits for the giant-size yankee with the red wood handle, but apparently everyone on ebay thinks they are made of gold.
-- aem sends...

Never even used the old brace drills I had, since I was born after the advent of affordable power drills. I do miss my lost or stolen crank drill, which I used occasionally when I didn't want to drag a power cord out. Just don't care to own battery powered tools.
I picked up one of those driver "kits' in a plastic case at HD or someplace a while back when I saw the bits were worth the price of the kit. Maybe 5 bucks for the kit. They were unloading them. Chinese, like almost everything else. I've got a feeling that when I get my tools organized and out of various boxes and containers, I'll find way too many of just about every driver bit. Also think the razor knives will add up big time. Anyway, my kid was putting together the "fireplace" I mentioned recently, and there were many phillips screws to drive in tight spots. I noticed the store bag with the driver kit and pulled it out. Had a ratcheting driver handle and he used it. Sloppy action and I figured it would break, but it lasted the job.
I don't want to insult anybody, but that nail spinner is about the most stupid tool I ever heard of. I've driven plenty of nails and screws in hardwoods and only split wood once - the first time. After that I chucked a drill bit slightly smaller than the nail or screw shank and pre-drilled. I pre-drill pine too when using fat or long screws.
Recently put up a couple hundred feet of oak crown moulding, baseboard, door casings and shoe, using a brad nailer for the first time. No splits, and very little denting. I'm a fan of brad nailers now. They don't cost much, and the little pancake compressor has other uses. Blowgun - and tires in a pinch. Well worth the 60-70 bucks for a kit. Besides that, I'll use that nailer again soon for shelf cleats between the studs in my garage. That right there will save me a thumb and a finger.
BTW, I read long ago that blunting (flatten with a grinder) the nail tip will prevent splitting, because the nail will shear the wood fibers instead of separating them. Never tried it, and don't know if it really works. I pre-drill. But the 18 ga gun brads I used for my oak are flat tipped. Don't really know if that's because it's cheaper to produce them with no point, and the gun force doesn't need pointed nails, or it's because it prevents splitting, or both. For hardwood trim, I'll use the nailer from now on.
--Vic

You can do the same thing by turning the nail upside down and hitting the point. That way you don't need a concrete or metal surface.
The other tip is to align the nail in the correct orientation. Nail points have flats with an elongated diamond shape. If the nail is placed with the wider axis running across the wood grain it will cut the fibers and is less likely to split the wood. This works with both finish and common nails.
Check out the ridges right under the nail head on a common nail and you'll see how the ridges relate to the longer axis. You can feel these ridges and orient the nail without looking at it.

I have used the old swing brace drills even though I was born after the advent of affordable power drills. I used one before I could afford a HoleHawg or heavy duty right angle drill kit. I haven't used a swing brace is over 25 years
Every tool has its time and its use. Just because you cannot see the previous (or current uses) for a nail spinner doesn't mean "that nail spinner is about the most stupid tool I ever heard of".
Your comment is not insulting but it is revealing.
Stupid tool might be the correct phrase but the reference seems wrong in this case.
Now that you've discovered brad nailers and are clearly an expert, shall we cease the manufacture & sale of small hammers, finishing nails and nail sets?
FYI the mechanics of "driving" a nail with a nail spinner is substantially different than driving a nail with a hammer or shooting brads. And there a situations were "spinning the nail in" is advantageous. Using a cordless drill as substitute of for a nail spinner is an 'ok" solution but the drill chuck grips the a finishing nail differently than a nail spinner.
BTW an 18 gage brad nailer is a bit on the small side for crown and kinda wimpy for shelf cleats. I would suggest you consider a 16 gage brad nailer or 15 gage finish nailer. I have access to all three but use the 16 gage the most of the time, that is, when I'm not pining for a nail spinner.
Dulling a nail point does help to reduce the tendency for the nail to split the wood but it certainly won't do the whole job in a serious hardwood. Pre-drilling, especially in hardwood, is a good technique if you don't have a brad nailer.
cheers Bob

I usually plan on doing it right the first time, and don't make backup plans from the get go. Bob is right and you should have used a heavier gage nail. Houses move and brads have minimal holding power and strength.
I liked your story though, if it's any consolation. ;)

I didn't make any backup plans when I did the job. Just did it now to shut you guys up. Didn't work.

It sure was (-:
--Vic

........They were amazed- 'you just push, and it turns the screw?' ........
Did you tell them it was "magic"? ;)
On 10/10/2011 2:11 AM, DD_BobK wrote: (snip)

These are pretty bright kids- as soon as they saw the spiral part of the tool, and used it once, they understood it. The point is, they had never seen one before. Have Yankee-style screwdrivers been gone from the mass market that long? I haven't seen them in stores around here in several years.
--
aem sends...

Spiral ratcheting screwdrivers are still available. It's a little known fact that Archimedes got his idea for his drill from a Yankee 130a. Maybe little truth, but definitely little known. ;)