roofing nail pops - temp fix?

Reading the other post about nail pops in the roof brought up this question for me. I have nail pops too, but only in one area - maybe half a dozen or so in a 6 X 6 foot area. Yes they leak when it rains. I do NOT want to get a new roof yet. What's a good way to patch these? The sheathing is old shiplap siding (1X8's, I think). -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

The link offered in the previous discussion deals with repair of nail pop holes...

DerbyDad03

Personally, I am a little surprised at the nature of the replies in the initial thread.

A few nail pops are quite common on a house that has been re-roofed by a careless contractor. They sometimes happen even on the best of jobs. They really are not a big deal if dealt with as soon as noticed. The damaged shingle and popping nail is removed and replaced.

Five years after the initial install I had a single nail pop on a re-roof. The shingle was pulled and replaced and there have been no problems for 10 additional years. Almost time for a new roof now. :)

If you are looking for a cheap, quick, 3-5 year fix, pound down the offending nail, lift the tab and apply a dab of roofing cement. Doing it under the tab keeps it from being ugly. A wide blade drywall knife (putty knife) helps you lift the tab with no damage.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

re: Personally, I am a little surprised at the nature of the replies in the initial thread.

I'm not sure why you are surprised.

The question in the initial thread was not "how to repair nail pops". That's the question asked in *this* thread.

In the initial thread, I specifically asked about the best way to re- roof a house with nail pops - tear-off or add a 2nd layer. That's the question that was asked, and that's the question that was answered.

Although I didn't mention them in my post, there are other reasons why I am considering a re-roof, which is why I worded the question as I did.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well, when I take into account the reasons you didn't mention, I don't feel so bad about giving advice based on reasons I didn't mention. Bwahahahahah! ;)

RicodJour

I came in late on that thread.

IMO the only way to re-roof a house is a complete tear off every time. this allows you to find and fix little problems before they become big ones.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

This weekend I did something similar to what is recommended on that website. I bought a caulking-gun tube of roofing cement, cut up some roofing felt into 2 by 4 inch rectangles, collected some washed-off granules from the gutter, and went up there. There were 6 or 8 nails that had popped up. All of the nails were loose enough to just pull out by hand, and that is what I did. (I will monitor to see if any shingles come loose as a result, but I am not too worried about it). I put a blob of roofing cement on each side of a piece of felt, then shoved it up under the shingle to cover where the hole was. (I did not fold the felt over, as recommended on the website - didn't see the point of that.) Then I pressed down on the shingle, which would cause excess cement to ooze up out of the hole. Then I sprinkled the oozed- up cement with granules and patted it down a bit -- at first with a putty knife, but later just with my fingers since I was thoroughly mucked up with tar anyway. So it looks OK, but I will have to wait until the next downpour to see if it worked to fix the leaks. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff