water meter spinner - fast and slow

Last month, my water bill was about $500. I checked the meter and found the spinner was running at various speed. Sometimes, it was running quite fast and at the next second it would slow down, then speeding up again. This all happened when there was no water usage. I thought a leak would cause the meter to run at constant speed, not up and down. True?

This is not about where the system leaks but meter behavior. I have hired a plumber to dig and install valves in many places. Yet, he couldn't find the leak.

Reply to
Lenny Jacobs

Call your water company, have them come and test your meter. Your water company / district may also be willing to assist you in locating leaks, if any. $500 / month for water is a lot of water, in just about every locale.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

It may not be a leak. Involve the water company. It may be a bad meter and they can check that out at no cost to you. Meters do go bad but usually stop recording.

There are usually valves to isolate the meter. Does shutting the valve stop it from spinning?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The first check was closing the valve few meters after the meter. That stopped the spinner from spinning. So, I concluded that there was a leak. However, after the plumber dug everywhere and installed valves, there was no leaking (spinner stopped running) even though the plumber did not fix anything but installing valves. That's why I started to suspect the meter.

Reply to
Lenny Jacobs