What is a stucco nail?

A customer came into our hardware store today looking for stucco nails. I showed him the concrete nails and masonry nails,but he said they weren't the right ones. What does a stucco nail look like? Does it go by a different name? Thanks.

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

I got a couple of Google hits that described a nail with a cardboard spacer to keep the chicken wire stucco base off the wall so the stucco mix can get behind the lath.

I remember chicken wire lath but not the nails

Reply to
cavedweller

Out in California they are called furring nails & they are used to "fur" the stucco mesh (WWF - woven wire fabric lath) off the paper / plywood.

Not used much anymore, most use "self-furring" lath....not that it works very well.

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207
1 1/4" or 1 1/2" nail, I think. The head is about 3/8". Has a thick (1/4"-3/8") paper washer on it. Galvanized.

Box says, "FURRING NAIL W/WAD."

They're used to keep chicken wire or lath away from the paper, so that when the stucco is applied, the wire is surrounded by the stucco. Using them with metal lath is a pain, but is possible.

Eric

Reply to
E. Hill