Nail Spinner

On 10/1/2011 9:40 PM, RonB wrote:

Rueful chuckle- as bad as my close-work depth perception is getting (what with my blurry-anyway eyes pointing in different directions), I always do pilot holes for hammer-driven finish trim work. One of these days, I'm gonna have to assemble and teach myself to use that HF trim nailer I bought with the 40-buck pancake compressor last year. (Not like I'll ever being doing production work for money again- and for chores around here, I can drive 3 nails and stare at the work for 30 seconds while the compressor cycles.)
--
aem sends....

-snip-

Even that pancake will probably keep up. I've poked over 100 brads with an 8 gallon tank charged to 100 pounds.
When you put that thing together, be sure to put some padding on your forehead. You'll be smacking yourself for not getting around to that a long time ago.
It is one of *those* kind of toys.
Jim
On 10/2/2011 7:38 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

It is the chores themselves I have been avoiding, not the 'put the tools together' part. Got some baseboards that need redoing, as well as the insides of most of the closets. I've also got a power miter saw I have yet to open the box on, from a couple 3 years ago.
Amazing how easy it is to put off stuff, with no SWMBO in the house, and low standards. If the neighbors can't see it, there is no hurry, etc.
--
aem sends...

"RonB" wrote in message wrote:

On further thought, I do remember chucking up a finish nail to pre- drill holes in hardwood trim to ensure fit and no splitting.
That is what I ended up doing, but it still split the wood. That would not happen with the spinner.

That does not happen with chucking the headless finish nail "bit" in a drill. I don't know what you did, but you did the something or the wood was wonky and would have split regardless of what spun the nail.
I clip off the head, chuck it into the drill, file the flats a bit to sharpen up the edges, then spin the drill to see if the nail is straight. They usually aren't. I bend the nail by hand until there is little to no run-out, and it's good to go.
RicodJour explained :

I did that and it still split a few times. That has never happened with the spinner. I only had 3 sets of door casings to do and was not about to go out and buy a compressor and trim nail gun for the task. I was also not about to go out and find one to borrow and then go hunt for the proper nails for it.

The clipped nail chucked in the drill split the wood while you were driving it? That's curious. Where were these nails located that split the wood, what size were they and what sort of wood were the casings?
I don't see how the physics of spinning a nail with a spinner is any different than spinning it with a drill, but that's neither here nor there.
RicodJour explained on 10/2/2011 :

The drilling nail did not split the wood. The driven nail did.
On 10/1/2011 8:40 PM, RonB wrote:

I use an old carpenters trick of flattening the point of the nail so it cuts the wood fibers instead of pushing them aside and splitting the wood.
TDD

Are you sure it's a carpenter's trick?
Grandpa was a mason and he taught it to me.
He's no longer around for me to ask where he learned it from, so I'll keep believing that he invented it. ;-)

Mike-
I needed one about 2 years ago and could only find them at Sears. I hit a couple s Sear locations in my area but they were "out of stock".
I was too lazy to buy a couple through Sears online store.
Now they appear to be MIA everywhere..... :(
cheers Bob
In typed:

Use your drill
On Saturday, October 1, 2011 5:54:24 PM UTC-5, Mike Dobony wrote:

Craftsman and VermontAmerica both make them. I love my nail spinner too. 2LTim
On Saturday, October 1, 2011 5:54:24 PM UTC-5, Mike Dobony wrote:

VermontAmerica nail spinner $7.
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Vermont-American-16621-Nail-Spinner/111086/Cat/1327
2LTim

Read what it says in red in the upper right.
"This product is currently unavailable."
On 10/13/2013 7:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Maybe OP is also currently unavailable? Post from 2011.
Instead of a nail spinner, maybe get a salad shooter?
On Saturday, October 1, 2011 at 5:54:24 PM UTC-5, Mike Dobony wrote:

I BOUGHT ONEAT HOME DEPOT A FEW YERS AGO BUT CANT FIND ANY MORE. THEY WERE MADE BY VERMONT AMERICAN TOOLS. I HAVE CONTACTED THEM BUT HAVE NOT HEAR BACK YET. GARY