Nail Spinner

On 10/10/2011 5:28 PM, Vic Smith wrote: (snip)

Chuckle. In my longhair hippie scum days (many decades ago), that is how I would rewick candles, or make candles out of odd chunks of wax that followed me home. Prewax the twine to make it stiff, make a hole with the coat hanger, and work the new wick in while it was still all slippery.

(I don't think I have even lit a candle in ten+ years, even a utility candle used as heat source for DIY projects...)

Reply to
aemeijers

Great idea. I try to light candles on my late parent's birthdays as a remembrance.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Hey, Joe...? It's probably best if you don't use tools while exercising. You could put your eye out! ;)

RicodJour

Another new tip. I made thousands of candles in the few weeks I worked at Crown candle in Portland, OR. Hardly remember a thing, except no coat hangers.

I always have a supply. Good for power outages and romance. Mostly power outages.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Well, this wasn't really MAKING candles, it was more like salvaging candles where they had burned a hole down the middle, or putting a wick in a chunk of industrial wax (like used for making lost-wax molds, I guess.) My mother would always get pissed when I melted wax on stove, even if I used the nastiest old baby double-boiler out of the basement. Never had the patience for dipping candles, or those infamous milk-carton candles where you pour wax over ice cubes or other things, to give an artsy look.

I gave up trying to be creative with candles in college, after I first saw an artisan making carved candles- 30 or 40 dips in different colors of wax, and then slice and twist and weave the wax while it was soft. Way too pretty to burn.

Reply to
aemeijers

What part of the planet do you actually frequent? Crescent (aka adjustable) wrenches exist in the world at same frequency as Yankee & Yankee style screwdrivers?

Unbelievable.....

Did that plumber tire of listening you spout misinformation & fire you?

Reply to
DD_BobK

I just use my muscles. The unit in question is in my basement and resides there at all times.

Reply to
joevan

Craftsman and VermontAmerica both make them. I love my nail spinner too.

2LTim
Reply to
tsanders

VermontAmerica nail spinner $7.

2LTim
Reply to
tsanders

Read what it says in red in the upper right.

"This product is currently unavailable."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Maybe OP is also currently unavailable? Post from 2011.

Instead of a nail spinner, maybe get a salad shooter?

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

..

I actually have two braces and a "Yankee" screwdriver (the latter with some small drill bits that go with it.) Never used a nail spinner though. Wil l have to keep an eye out for one at yard sales. In my defense I don't do a whole lot of trim carpentry, is probably why I haven't been exposed to th is.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I BOUGHT ONEAT HOME DEPOT A FEW YERS AGO BUT CANT FIND ANY MORE. THEY WERE MADE BY VERMONT AMERICAN TOOLS. I HAVE CONTACTED THEM BUT HAVE NOT HEAR BACK YET. GARY

Reply to
adgilpin10

it fits into a power drill, and has small bearings inside. You slide in th e finish nail and press the trigger of the drill. Itspins a finish nail in to wood within 1/2 inch of the wood's surface, and the wood will not split on you. very handy and simple.

Reply to
srandolphfrey

Real men just use a hammer ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I use my thumb.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

I've been known to use a hammer on my thumb...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

replying to Mike Dobony, mfessia wrote: Mike, I have one. I?ll probably never use it again. If you want it let me know. Mark

Reply to
mfessia

replying to Mike Dobony, mfessia wrote: Mike, I have one. I?ll probably never use it again. If you want it let me know. Mark

Reply to
mfessia

Mfessia, Still have it? If so I'd like to buy it from you. Joel

Reply to
goodeworks