My new high MPG pick-up "truck"...

Page 1 of 4
In the past, I would always use my pick-up truck for anything and everything construction related. Even for going to the store and buying say a 5 gallon can of something.
Yesterday I needed to go to the store and buy a bunch of construction stuff....
I thought about it... I would not be buying anything long... hummm, maybe I could fit it all in my 38 MPG hatchback car?
And I'll be darned if everything fit. Just barely made it, but I crammed it all in there. So then I filled up with gas on way back (tank half full)... $9.00, not bad!
I think I'll use the car whenever possible from now on....
I have a 94 Ford Aspire that I am driving more and more. Besdes the obvious fuel savings over the extended cab 3/4 ton Silverado, it is so much easier to just zip right into parking spots rather than drive around the parking lots trying to find a space the truck will fit. What I can't figure out is not just the size of vehicles people are driving, but the WAY they drive. I have a friend with a Lincoln Town Car, and I am terrified to ride with him. He takes off from a light or stop sign just short of burning rubber, goes one block to the next stop, and just as you think he is not going to stop, slams on the brakes and stops in about one car length. Besides the gas, he gets about 15K to a set of brake pads. This isn't some dumb kid either. This guy is 66 y/o. His 30+ y/o son is even worse. I absolutely refuse to ride with him period. I would bet that on average, people could get 3 more mpg if they tried. I get about 13 on the Dodge van at work-- most of the others are getting about 9-10. It has 70K on the original Michelins. Replaced the original brake pads at 48K, back brakes original. The other's tires and brakes are going just over half those mileages. Larry

say
it
Okay, that does it. I'm using my Vespa from now on.
-- J.C.
J.C. wrote:

Don't laugh, when I was in Taiwan last year I saw a full-size kitchen table being carried on a scooter!
Matt

you could tow one of those little bicycle trailers! Or a side car! ;-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Bill wrote:

I think there will be a lot more thinking like that from now on. The days of cheap gas are gone forever. The prices may go down some but not much. It's time for all of us to start thinking sensibly.
Of course, the first thing that needs to happen is that the auto-makers need to start making fuel efficient cars instead of pumping out the monster SUVs, and double cab pickups. Time to go back to the early 80's when small cars were "cool".
It is not just the manufacturers who are at fault. It is the Testosterone based buying habits of the American public. The car companies are making what we want to buy. Or Did want to buy. I hope the car companies are ready to change. Last month was the first drop in SUV sales figures in years, but it was only by 1%.
Stretch

As you alluded to, the car companies are willing to make/sell whatever you're willing to buy. However, if gas prices stay where they are today, the mark-up on fuel efficient cars will be like it was in the '70's, and they will be giving away SUV's. Until recently, they were giving away the efficient stuff and charging out the wazzoo for SUV's. I'd hate to be the owner of a 3 month old Mega SUV. Resale has gone in the toilet for now, and fuel expenses are 50% or more higher than expected.
Here in the Atlanta area, I've been amazed at the lack of traffic this weekend. High gas prices and the lingering fear of shortages (yes, there are stations without gas, but I suspect that's because of last week's run on gas) are keeping people from making unnecessary trips. I love it, because it is amazing how much better traffic flows when volume is down 25% or more...
KB
"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

I noticed the same thing. Also seemed to see a larger proportion of smaller vehicles and an absence of monster SUV's, RV's, etc.
I heard that a Chevy Suburban is now costing around $150 for a fill-up, so I can see why...
Kyle Boatright wrote:

I'm not usually for government interference but I think now might be a good time to offer some kind of incentive to auto-makers and buyers to help sell the efficient cars... of course, I guess you could consider the current administration's work in getting the current gas prices to record highs an incentive.

Giving away the efficient stuff? Have you ever priced the fuel-efficient cars? They have always been sold at a premium over regular cars. My high-efficiency Honda cost $1000 over the price of the same car with a regular engine. That was 13 years ago - still runs well and now I'm really saving at the pump compared to others.
Check the VW TDI compared to thother VW models or the Prius compared to the comparably equipped Toyotas. Fuel efficiency has always come at a premium.
SUVs on the other hand were just sold as expensive. I never understood why someone would pay a $5000+ premium over a similarly equipped van.
Mike
[snip]

1. Rear-wheel drive vs. front wheel 2. Truck chassis vs unit body construction 3. Driveability 4. Load carrying capability
And I'm not sure that your $5K figure is anywhere near accurate. --
World Traveler wrote:

Well, back when the SUV craze began, actually several years later I saw a report (don't recall where) in a car mag stating that it was about $10,000. To see just what the premium is, check the price of an SUV vs a similarly equipped pick-up built on the same chassis. Even that is not accurate as 4x pickups have their own excessive markup.
Harry K
Harry K

Guess what - vans come with 4WD too. I did say a similarly equipped van.

Irrelevant for the majority of SUV drivers. They are only commuting to work or going to the mall after all.

??? I've driven both types both on and off road. They both handle poorly. Light ass-end and top heavy. what's your point?

Again - irrelevant for the majority of drivers.

Never actually priced the vehicles, did you? Some models of SUV were upwards of $15,000 over the vans the same company sold.
Detroit was making about $10,000 profit per SUV on average and losing money on almost every car they sold. That's why they loved selling them and why every manufacturer in the world came out with one - even Porche, FCS.
Mike

To the best of my knowledge, no-one builds a 4wd van. There are companies like Quigley motors that will do a conversion for around $9,0000, though.

Toyota Sienna GMC Safari Chevy Astro
There a bunch of others. Do a google search.
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

Pedant mode on :)
Those are all "mini" vans, though, aren't they? (I'm so outta' touch I don't even know what the GM ones are by name, for sure)

Ok, point taken. I have trouble remembering that those are "vans". I think of them as stationwagons with a thyroid condition.
THIS: http://www.quigley4x4.com / is the thing I was thinking of..

They will make them but in the past few years, no one was buying them. Attitudes have to change as you point out that small cars can be "cool"
I'm doing my best. I'm only driving down hill from no on.
On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 14:07:41 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

The attitudes will change all by themselves. No need to call out the PC Police.

Alternatively, you can put larger wheels on the back and small ones on the front. Then you'll always be going down hill.
--
Keith