My neighbor was scammed by driveway spraying scammers

Page 3 of 8

It's *spraying a driveway* not something with hidden complexity. Presumably the driveway was completely visible and measurable. Unless the homeowner somehow changed the scope of the job in mid-work, this is indeed a scam. If you price the job too low you eat the difference and do better the next time. Integrity and all that stuff.. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
--
"it\'s the network..." "The Journey is the reward"

Is your last name "Williams" by any chance?

I'm sure. He wasn't scammed. He was stupid.
Steve

That is a weird way to view the problem. Someone bids a job, refuses to finish unless paid more is not a scam? What color is the sky in your world?
A bid is a bid and reputable companies live up to them. Now had the owner added to or changed something later, then he would up for additional charges.
Harry K
Harry K wrote: ...

not a contract nor binding unless turned into one (verbal or no) which states it is (binding, that is). (Not that this particular racket isn't an out-and-out scam, the principle is more general.)
These fly-by-night outfits are rampant everywhere each spring. There's a good chance the "product" applied was nothing more than used motor oil or similar besides...

it's worth the paper it's written on.

Corse it does.

Then they get to wear their footshot and do the job for the agreed price.

Typically they claim that it's leftover asphalt from another job. In reality, it's old oil (motor or fuel oil?). They probably con some garage to give them the old oil for free.c
It even makes a dirt driveway look shiny and black.

He was scammed. This trick has been around for years. Quote a low price, start the job, then demand more money. No different than buying a gallon of mild at the grocery store and on the way out being asked to pay more. If you are that naive, please don't make any big decisions on your own.
clipped

repair scams so many people still fall for them. I would never deal with a contractor either from advertisement or, especially, cold call. Waterproofing and windows. The phone rings every day. :o)
Norminn wrote in message ...

They had the same thing going on here in CA with the driveways a couple of months ago, a lot of older people got taken in by the scammers doing lousy jobs, demanding more money etc. I'm glad to say I wasn't one of them. I will say that the front man for the operation was a personable young man telling me that he will be doing all kinds of work in my neighborhood, repairing driveways, patios, blah blah blah. I ran him off with my cranky old woman voice. LOL I saw in the paper the other day that he was finally arrested in Indiana. :-)
Cheri
<gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

How do you know it was the same man?
--
charles

Marissa Payton wrote:
You replying to a post from May of 2007?
Marsha/Ohio

Thanks. I had a sense of deja-vu that I couldn't shake and now I know why. i thought this had come up before.
--
charles

ignoramus6369@NOSPAM.6369.invalid says...

Gee, sounds like they're new at this scam; if they finished half, you'd think they would be trying to extort another $175. Fifty bucks is only slightly more than a decent tip.
--Gene
Ignoramus6369 wrote:

Just be glad it was $50. BTW, you should MYOB, you're a nosey sob.
On May 12, 9:41 pm, Rocky <"the rookie"> wrote:

Geez. Ever heard of being friendly with your neighbours?
Chris
Rocky <"the rookie"> wrote:
[...]

Are you this big an asshole in real life?

Ignoramus6369 wrote:

Dial 911.