My crappy new washing machine

Sounds like GE has their own people all confused, probably because they make the same machine for different retailers, but with different model numbers. Makes it harder to compare prices. This is an old shell game which I believe began back in the 1980s with audio manufacturers like Technics.

I don't know what it means. They may have changed model parts in mid-production. Example. A 1965 Ford Mustang my bride once had was "technically" a '65. On paper it was a '64.5, made mid-year in 1964.
Luckily, parts were easy to get...
Washers? Who knows..

It means you're getting the run-around. I doubt that you'll ever get an answer and if you call back you'll be put back on top of the queue. Thell them you want to speak to a manager and that you want the model you paid for, not some add-on part that you have to figure out how to install.

If they can't find the right cup, I feel they owe you a new machine. The advertising clearly promised a softner dispenser.
Do you have one of those loud obnoxious "consumer advocate" guys on your local TV news?
On 09/19/2010 09:06 AM, George wrote:

I wonder what would happen if the purchaser told the retailer that he was planning to take the retailer to small claims court if he won't give a refund. I would expect that the retailer knew too that there were problems with the model. The retailer chose to be a GE retailer along with all that that implies.

Two (counteracting) arguments here.
- Sue everyone and let the gods (or courts) figure it out.
- By suing the retailer, the retailer is very unlikely to let on that there is something wrong with the model, even if he knows there is.
On 09/19/2010 05:42 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

But I doubt (as George suggested) that the manufacturer would be compelled to defend locally in small claims court, since the mfr. had no direct dealing with the customer. I could be wrong, but I expect that big manufacturers were able to eliminate such possibilities long ago.

The manufacturer made the (allegedly defective) machine. Of *course* they would be named in any suit, if for no other reason than to let the court figure out who is at fault (if anyone is).

You would be wrong.
On 09/19/2010 08:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Please show us when a manufacturer a thousand miles away showed up to defend such a case in a small claims court in some town where the manufacturer is not the retailer. Or a case where the manufacturer suffered a default judgment because they didn't show up to defend the case.
I gather by your confidence that you can show such a case with no trouble at all. It sounds like maybe you've won a case like that yourself.

m> wrote:

They will be forced to send a representative, or you'll win a default judgment.

Think. I know it's tough. They don't get the choice of whether to be sued, or not.

But what really matters is if you actually collect the judgment. Otherwise, just get a nice frame for it and hand it on the wall.

proof and judges get pissed easily. It could even get fun.
On 09/20/2010 08:59 AM, keith wrote:

I will try to get at the essence. If I can sue the maker of a bad product that I bought from somebody other than the maker, could I also sue the maker of a bad component that made the product bad? And the maker of a bad subcomponent in the bad component?
On 9/21/2010 1:18 AM, Matt wrote: (snip)

In cases of actual injuries or damages (versus the mere inconvenience and <$2k or so expense of the matter at hand), that is what the lawyers do. Look up the term 'deep pockets' for further details.
-- aem sends...
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 00:18:52 -0500, Matt

You are welcome to try.

Absolutely! Sue the schmo who delivered it, if he has any money. It's the corollary to "kill 'em all and let God sort it out".
My GE problem was solved by a really good customer service rep named Cindy. She kept in touch with me daily, even if I didn't understand some of the emails, and found the water softener dispenser that was supposed to come with the machine which was Fed-Exed to me. The fact that it was missing when my machine was delivered a couple of weeks ago was not a life changing event or anything, but it was inconvenient, and I wanted what I paid for. I'm glad that it resolved and thanks to all who suggested ways to handle it.
Cheri

Glad it seems to have all worked out, Cheri.

Thanks Salty, and your link to the real manual (instead of that piece of paper that came with it) was really helpful. I appreciate it.
Cheri

On 9/20/2010 7:53 AM, Matt wrote:

At least in my state the small claims type stuff is handled by a magistrate. If you name someone in a complaint and they don't appear the magistrate can render a default judgment. I have done this in the past where a big mega company adopted the tactic of "we are mega company and you are nothing" .
The nice part is you don't need a lawyer so if you are level headed, know your rights and do your homework you can prevail. This assumes of course that you did all of the normal correspondence prior to filing the complaint, kept excellent records and aren't a nut. It really annoys the $500 perfect haircut lawyers when they are compelled to deal with average folk who they hate so much.