My computer is being hacked ! ! !

Page 2 of 2

I'm amazed at how long they stay on the phone and listen to my nonsense. I can only imagine that they get a lot of flustered elderly people so as outlandish as my reply is, they really hear stuff like that.
If it didn't work, they would not be calling.

I had some fun stringing one of those along. The "technician" on the other end was utterly clueless about what was going on even when I started reading stuff saying "Ubuntu Linux" from the screen. They then got a "senior technician" on the line, he finally figured out in about 15 minutes or so that he wasn't dealing with a Windows system and made up some crap about my having to take the computer to someone local in order to "fix" it.
Another one called more recently but I didn't have time to play, so I just hung up on them.
So! ....turn it off!!

Actually, you can only use the magic wakeup packet (WOL) on a local lan segment - it won't pass through routers (such as a DSL/Cable modem) since it isn't an IP packet, just a raw ethernet broadcast packet.
IPMI on the other hand, but you'll not find that on your typical consumer-grade system.

And I thought you'd know all of this. I am undone.
On 12/08/2014 11:41 PM, micky wrote:

Even though I /occasionally/ give good advice, turns out my brain is not so hot.
As a matter of fact, my memory is just plain bad.
The other night I sat down and made a list of all the things I had forgotten....there were 100,000 items total (to the best of my memory)
To: philo On 12/06/2014 09:36 AM, philo wrote:

I am a Linux shop too.
Though you guys would like this quote:
When you say, "I wrote a program that crashed Windows," people just stare at you blankly and say, "Hey, I got those with the system, for free." - Linus Torvalds
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
To: Todd On 12/7/2014 6:27 AM, Todd wrote:

Microsoft support is coming out of the Philippines, I believe, but it could be elsewhere too.
I had bought MS Office on line and the install got all screwed up and I had to call them. They called back immediately and the tech took control of my computer and fixed it. It took some time and we talked about where he was.
Also talked to a Comcast tech a while back that was also in the Philippines.
Scary to watch them take control of computer and if crooks they could really do a job on you.
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
To: Frank On 12/08/2014 09:44 AM, Frank wrote:

My opinion, M$ is extremely unprofessional by not providing media anymore with office. By the way, LibreOffice is coming into its own.
I use Go To Assist a lot. Before I move the customer's mouse, I tell them "now it is going to seem like there is a ghost inside your computer". Everyone remarks on it.
Go to Assist is fun for me because I can ask the customer to show me what is happening. About 80% of the time their description is off in the weeds.
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
On 12/9/2014 11:30 AM, Todd wrote:

Libre Office and Open Office were working for me for over a year but having to add some jpg's to docs I was making for a client would not work in his MS Word. So I just bought MS Office as a business expense and write-off.
Thing I hate about it as with Win 8 is MS trying to nickel and dime more out of you doing things.
On 12/09/2014 11:09 AM, Frank wrote:

Libre Office has an awesome bug reporter. They have fixed tons of bugs for me. If this is a major bug for you, they will usually fix it in about three weeks. (Try that with anything M$ publishes!)

1+
I think the whole reason behind Windows Frankenstein (w8) is trying to cash in on the Apple Store. I hate the M$ store.
On 12/9/2014 2:22 PM, Todd wrote:

Yup, that's the way I look at it.
So! ....turn it off!!
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
To: notbob

...you can boot a machine across a network ... if the NIC has the capability.
"Unplug" the machine to be certain :)
***
"Computers are like women..., - No one but their creator understands their logic! - Their native language is incomprehensible... - Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory... - As soon as you commit to one, you end up spending half your paycheck on it for accessories."
<G>
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
To: Oren On 12/08/2014 10:43 AM, Oren wrote:

Especially if you are dealing with Windows Frankenstein (w8), which suspends, instead of turning off.
With a Frankenstein laptop, remove both the power cord and the battery to get it really off
To: Oren

Actually, you can only use the magic wakeup packet (WOL) on a local lan segment - it won't pass through routers (such as a DSL/Cable modem) since it isn't an IP packet, just a raw ethernet broadcast packet.
IPMI on the other hand, but you'll not find that on your typical consumer-grade system.
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway

I can relate. In the last couple years, I've come to really understand, "I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."

On Sat, 6 Dec 2014 10:57:15 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

You are not sending an email and you are posting to usenet.