My computer is being hacked ! ! !

Microsoft support is coming out of the Philippines, I believe, but it could be elsewhere too.

I had bought MS Office on line and the install got all screwed up and I had to call them. They called back immediately and the tech took control of my computer and fixed it. It took some time and we talked about where he was.

Also talked to a Comcast tech a while back that was also in the Philippines.

Scary to watch them take control of computer and if crooks they could really do a job on you.

Reply to
Frank

My opinion, M$ is extremely unprofessional by not providing media anymore with office. By the way, LibreOffice is coming into its own.

I use Go To Assist a lot. Before I move the customer's mouse, I tell them "now it is going to seem like there is a ghost inside your computer". Everyone remarks on it.

Go to Assist is fun for me because I can ask the customer to show me what is happening. About 80% of the time their description is off in the weeds.

Reply to
Todd

So! ....turn it off!!

Reply to
notbob

Actually, you can only use the magic wakeup packet (WOL) on a local lan segment - it won't pass through routers (such as a DSL/Cable modem) since it isn't an IP packet, just a raw ethernet broadcast packet.

IPMI on the other hand, but you'll not find that on your typical consumer-grade system.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

And I thought you'd know all of this. I am undone.

Reply to
micky

Even though I /occasionally/ give good advice, turns out my brain is not so hot.

As a matter of fact, my memory is just plain bad.

The other night I sat down and made a list of all the things I had forgotten....there were 100,000 items total (to the best of my memory)

Reply to
philo

I am a Linux shop too.

Though you guys would like this quote:

When you say, "I wrote a program that crashed Windows," people just stare at you blankly and say, "Hey, I got those with the system, for free." - Linus Torvalds

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Todd

[...]

Especially if you are dealing with Windows Frankenstein (w8), which suspends, instead of turning off.

With a Frankenstein laptop, remove both the power cord and the battery to get it really off

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Todd

...you can boot a machine across a network ... if the NIC has the capability.

"Unplug" the machine to be certain :)

***

"Computers are like women...,

- No one but their creator understands their logic! - Their native language is incomprehensible... - Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory... - As soon as you commit to one, you end up spending half your paycheck on it for accessories."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Oren

Actually, you can only use the magic wakeup packet (WOL) on a local lan segment - it won't pass through routers (such as a DSL/Cable modem) since it isn't an IP packet, just a raw ethernet broadcast packet.

IPMI on the other hand, but you'll not find that on your typical consumer-grade system.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Libre Office and Open Office were working for me for over a year but having to add some jpg's to docs I was making for a client would not work in his MS Word. So I just bought MS Office as a business expense and write-off.

Thing I hate about it as with Win 8 is MS trying to nickel and dime more out of you doing things.

Reply to
Frank

Libre Office has an awesome bug reporter. They have fixed tons of bugs for me. If this is a major bug for you, they will usually fix it in about three weeks. (Try that with anything M$ publishes!)

1+

I think the whole reason behind Windows Frankenstein (w8) is trying to cash in on the Apple Store. I hate the M$ store.

Reply to
Todd

Yup, that's the way I look at it.

Reply to
Frank

I can relate. In the last couple years, I've come to really understand, "I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."

Reply to
micky

You are not sending an email and you are posting to usenet.

Reply to
joevan