My Computer Changed The TIme By Itself

Only $14. Mine was more money origianally but very similar. It had

under 30 dollars

I was reading they started using a new protocol modulation for newer receivers. Some really old receivers may stop working. This is lower frequency band, really low, but not as old as old stations that used to transmit signals to subs. That was audio frequency. I have not listened o shortwave wwvb in a long time. The time code could be read by the changing of tones, really a low speed, but took less than a minute, then a 1 minute sync signal.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

"hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net" wrote

Several years ago, Microsoft updated Windows XP with a free patch (I understand Apple charged for it!) to change the DST rules. This is why when you look at the time zone setting, the USA and Canada are now listed separately from Tijuana, which does not observe the extra 4 weeks of DST that we do.

In many or most cases, XP automatically included the patch in its automatic update.

Reply to
David Kaye

"hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net" wrote

Also realize that your computer has TWO clocks in it, the RTC (real time clock) which is like a wristwatch and uses a wristwatch type battery. The computer gets its time from this when you first turn it on.

But after it is on, the computer gets its time from the CPU. This second clock can run erratically, depending on how much load your computer is running. On this computer I'm using now, the clock runs fast when the computer is on. Windows normally automatically updates the clock once a week with the NIST.

Well, if I let my computer go a week it would be fast by about 2 to 3 minutes. So, I wrote a little script for the registry that changes the time update to every 6 hours. So, my computer is usually within half a second of accurate with the NIST at any given time.

Reply to
David Kaye

"Mark Lloyd" wrote

Sure they set themselves. They listen to WWVB, the longwave radio station of the NIST. They usually listen between 3 and 5am when interference on the LW band is low. Here's more info on WWVB and those self-setting clocks:

WWVB Info:

David Kaye

"micky" wrote

Nope, not satellite, but longwave, though some of the older ones use WWV in the shortwave bands. Most use WWVB, though.

Reply to
David Kaye

If it is any solace, we are now arguing about whether to switch from Eastern to Central.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

LOL. Indiana used to be in the Central time zone, in the early 50's and earlier, and they, or some of them, worked for years and years to get into the Eastern. Giving up DST was part of that, because it put them on the same time as Eastern for half of the year.

P&M

Reply to
micky

> Only $14. Mine was more money origianally but very similar. It had

> under 30 dollars

Good to know. I seem unable to remember what the instructions say about how it works. Right now it shows an image of an antenna, with no radio waves. When it's getting the time it has waves and they blink, it says, but I can't remember whether it blinked for hours and hours or maybe it was just that the radio waves, the semi-circular lines, were there for hours. Anyhow, I geuss mine is still working on the new frequency, since it moved an hour Saturday night.

Reply to
micky

I forgot about that. So it didn't come with XP at the start. You can put any dates you want into the patch parameters, but I forget how and I guess it came set to the new rules. .

Reply to
micky

I don't know about that time slot, but mine seem to work when the signal comes in, usually 2-4 hours after sunset.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Just get rid of Damn Stupid Time. It's nothing more than a mind game that adds to the confusion.

Reply to
Not X
[snip]

Yes, there are. Also, there's internet-connected devices and cell phones.

I was referring to the fake ones that claim to set themselves, but lack any way to do so (like radio or internet connection).

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I've had a couple of those clocks. They would only set themselves at night.

[snip]

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Not the ones I wrote about. These have NO radio.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

That's not enough?

Reply to
micky

I don't think I've seen them, but I woulnd't be surprised if they lied.

Reply to
micky

That's not understanding. That's believing something improbable for no good reason.

Apple provides updates at no charge, just like Microsoft.

Apple charges for new versions, just like Microsoft, only usually cheaper.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Wes Groleau wrote in news:k7a2mn$ihs$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

You just found this all out now? Mine's been changing the clock for years.

Reply to
Noahbuddy