My Computer Changed The TIme By Itself

Page 2 of 2

I don't know of any clocks except gps and such that use a satellite. Ground beacons are sent from Colorado from NIST. Once, they used to broadcast from near DC area. You usually can't pick up the signals during the day.
I don't know if they have more than one cesium clock at the colarado station. It used to be, the standard was averaged from banks of cesium beam units near DC.separated from each other, along with one or more hydrogen masers. The Current beacons may be synced by satellites.
Greg
Add pictures here
βœ–

I guess you're right. http://www.weatherconnection.com/product.asp?itmky ‰6998&s=froogle&gclid=CKapz9DztrMCFUKd4Aod52gAHA Only $14. Mine was more money origianally but very similar. It had no box and I found brief instructions online, but they probably didn't mention what you said.
" The atomic clock is updated daily to within one second of official U.S. government time via radio signal from Fort Collins, Colorado, and never needs resetting. The clock is accurate to within one second of official U.S. government time.
This atomic alarm clock is also easily programmed to reflect which available time zone you’re in (Pacific,Central, Eastern or Mountain) and operates manually if traveling outside of the continental U.S. "
I also found a wristwatch (Amazon.com product link shortened)52086843&sr=8-19&keywords=clocks+atomic under 30 dollars

Add pictures here
βœ–

Nope, I found them and they say just what you said
"This clock is designed to automatically synchronize its calendar clock once it is brought within the range of the WWVB radio signal broadcast from Ft. Collins, Colorado. When the unit is within range, its radio-control mechanism will override all manual settings unless auto-reception of radio signal has been manually deactivated. When the clock is receiving radio signal, the radio reception icon will start to blink. A complete reception generally takes about 2 to 10 minutes, depending on the strength of the radio signal. When the reception is complete, the radio reception icon will stop blinking. The strength of the reception for the last full hour will be indicated. For better reception, place the unit away from metal objects and electrical appliances to minimize interference. Should you wish to deactivate the RF controlled function, press and hold [DOWN] button for 3 seconds. The radio reception icon will disappear. To reactivate the RF controlled function, press and hold [UP] button for 3 seconds again and the radio reception icon will be re-displayed."
RADIO-CONTROLLED TRAVEL ALARM CLOCK WITH WORLD TIME MODEL NO.: RM323A

I think this last sentence is interesting.

Add pictures here
βœ–

http://www.weatherconnection.com/product.asp?itmky ‰6998&s=froogle&gclid=CKapz9DztrMCFUKd4Aod52gAHA
(Amazon.com product link shortened)52086843&sr=8-19&keywords=clocks+atomic
I was reading they started using a new protocol modulation for newer receivers. Some really old receivers may stop working. This is lower frequency band, really low, but not as old as old stations that used to transmit signals to subs. That was audio frequency. I have not listened o shortwave wwvb in a long time. The time code could be read by the changing of tones, really a low speed, but took less than a minute, then a 1 minute sync signal.
Greg
Add pictures here
βœ–

Good to know. I seem unable to remember what the instructions say about how it works. Right now it shows an image of an antenna, with no radio waves. When it's getting the time it has waves and they blink, it says, but I can't remember whether it blinked for hours and hours or maybe it was just that the radio waves, the semi-circular lines, were there for hours. Anyhow, I geuss mine is still working on the new frequency, since it moved an hour Saturday night.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/04/2012 09:36 PM, gregz wrote:
[snip]

I've had a couple of those clocks. They would only set themselves at night.
[snip]

--
50 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
βœ–

That's not enough?

Add pictures here
βœ–

Nope, not satellite, but longwave, though some of the older ones use WWV in the shortwave bands. Most use WWVB, though.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/04/2012 09:14 PM, micky wrote:
[snip]

Yes, there are. Also, there's internet-connected devices and cell phones.
I was referring to the fake ones that claim to set themselves, but lack any way to do so (like radio or internet connection).
[snip]
--
50 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
βœ–

I don't think I've seen them, but I woulnd't be surprised if they lied.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sure they set themselves. They listen to WWVB, the longwave radio station of the NIST. They usually listen between 3 and 5am when interference on the LW band is low. Here's more info on WWVB and those self-setting clocks:
WWVB Info: http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/wwvb.cfm
Add pictures here
βœ–

I don't know about that time slot, but mine seem to work when the signal comes in, usually 2-4 hours after sunset.
Greg
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/05/2012 01:12 AM, David Kaye wrote:

Not the ones I wrote about. These have NO radio.
--
50 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
βœ–

Hi, Usual thing when you set the clock setting with DST enabled. Most of clocks in my house is atomic time based. My utility watch (Casio Wave Center with solar cell) all know DST time setting back and forth. Our home thermostat does the same.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Several years ago, Microsoft updated Windows XP with a free patch (I understand Apple charged for it!) to change the DST rules. This is why when you look at the time zone setting, the USA and Canada are now listed separately from Tijuana, which does not observe the extra 4 weeks of DST that we do.
In many or most cases, XP automatically included the patch in its automatic update.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 23:05:11 -0800, "David Kaye"

I forgot about that. So it didn't come with XP at the start. You can put any dates you want into the patch parameters, but I forget how and I guess it came set to the new rules. .

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11-05-2012 02:05, David Kaye wrote:

That's not understanding. That's believing something improbable for no good reason.
Apple provides updates at no charge, just like Microsoft.
Apple charges for new versions, just like Microsoft, only usually cheaper.
--
Wes Groleau

From the cowardice that shrinks from new truth,
βœ–

You just found this all out now? Mine's been changing the clock for years.
Add pictures here
βœ–