Garage Door Opens By Itself

My garage door opens by itself from time to time. The make is called "Challenger", and it is distributed by Swift Garage Door Systems.

Can anyone suggest a cure?

Thanks a lot to anyone who replies.

Don (For email replace first l with on)

Reply to
Don Jenkins

Your opener code is shared with a neighbor's opener. Change the code. Usually the code changes automatically to inhibit the use of scanners, but you might have to change it manually. Check the manual or the manufacturer's web site for instructions.

RicodJour

Are you near a military base? Older garage door openers used a radio frequency that the military has now recaptured and about a year ago notice was given that some garage door openers near bases might malfunction.

Tom G

Reply to
Tom

sounds like wireless device in the house is doing this

change the frequency of garage door opener I don't know how, I just know you can

Reply to
BeBo

In addition to the other excellent comments, my son told me that kids with garage door openers will drive through developments pushing the buttons to see if any doors open. I have an older Genie, and tried it at someone's house and it worked. I don't know how often this works, but it is possible.

Reply to
Bob

Code duplication maybe the answer. Have seen several examples of car security systems being turned off and doors popping open on newer autos

- not sure remote door openers on cars is such a good idea. In high end neighborhoods people drive through with a demon dialer type of scanner trapsing through the various door opener frequencies and "dialing for dollars".

You can only hope the bad boys catch some work at home gun enthusiast - gut shot at 10 feet with 4 0 buck.

Reply to
butch burton

The Military Garage Door Blues Posted 06-Dec-2005 02:10 | Permanent Link

Related stories: Bases & Infrastructure , Signals Radio & Wireless

Do you live on or near a US military base? Do you have trouble with your automatic garage door opener? Is your neighbour muttering darkly about "the government"? Well, he may be right. The US military is the authorized user of the 380-399.9 MHz spectrum, and military radio systems like the new Land Mobile Radio system can easily drown out the weak signals of your garage door opener on similar wavelengths. MSNBC reports . As a public service, we'll add that recent MIT experiments with tinfoil hats have also noted critical vulnerabilities to common military spectrum wavelengths. Then again, they would say that, wouldn't they?

Reply to
not_here

"Bob" wrote in news:- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

A good way to have your house burgled. If they can gain access to your garage,they can close the door and have privacy to work on getting into your house.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

October 1998: A Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pa., was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up, because the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation. Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. Mr. Dickson sued the homeowner's insurance, claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of half a million dollars.

Reply to
Bob

you can buy just the replacement opener and controller. disabling the original controller, connect the new more secure one

Reply to
hallerb

Jeez, spends a few seconds at Google before posting this stuff. This is whats called an Urban Legend. A particularly dumb one at that.

Reply to
Dan Espen